Downloading from a Sony Handycam

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I want to do something so simple that i did not believe it when the
sony store told me the picture package does not support this.
I have a DCR-TRV265E and i have recorded a video on it and now i want
to download it to my laptop.
i do not have a firewire card on my laptop. i can use only the usb
cable. what software can i use to do this?
please help :-/

<shubhankar.das@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to do something so simple that i did not believe it when the
> sony store told me the picture package does not support this.
> I have a DCR-TRV265E and i have recorded a video on it and now i want
> to download it to my laptop.
> i do not have a firewire card on my laptop. i can use only the usb
> cable. what software can i use to do this?
> please help :-/

If you download via USB it can only be an MPEG video that may be suitable
for the web but not to view on your TV. To download the full video you must
use the firewire, ilink method this will require an adapter for your
computer and likely a special firewire cable from Sony. Before you spend any
money make sure your laptop has the hard drive space and speed for video
editing.

Jack

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

shubhankar.das@gmail.com wrote:

> I want to do something so simple that i did not believe it when the
> sony store told me the picture package does not support this.
> I have a DCR-TRV265E and i have recorded a video on it and now i want
> to download it to my laptop.
> i do not have a firewire card on my laptop. i can use only the usb
> cable. what software can i use to do this?
> please help :-/

First off.. You don't download video from a camera. It's Captured
(transferred in real time). Basically this means that you plug in your
camera press play, and press record on your computer and let it record
the video and audio onto the hard drive.

Second, DV video has a transfer data rate of about 25 Mbps. USB (1.0)
is too slow for those kind of speeds. Firewire is much faster and
pretty much "the industry standard" for DV transferring.

You'll have to get a Firewire card on your laptop in order to do it on
your laptop. Video editing could make serious demands on your computer.
Is your laptop up to the task?

Most all editing Software has the ability to capture/control DV.

Hope this helps.
-Richard

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

<shubhankar.das@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to do something so simple that i did not believe it when the
> sony store told me the picture package does not support this.
> I have a DCR-TRV265E and i have recorded a video on it and now i want
> to download it to my laptop.
> i do not have a firewire card on my laptop. i can use only the usb
> cable. what software can i use to do this?
> please help :-/

Short answer: you can't.

You'll need to get a 1394/Firewire port for your computer (Sony calls this
"iLink"). They're very inexpensive -- you should be able to find one for
around $15. Make sure that it is OHCI compliant.

Once you have a 1394 connection to your camera, there are all sorts of
programs around that will capture (the term of art for transferring digital
video from your camcorder to your computer). Most editing programs have
capture capability. I like to use Scenealyzer Live, which is a relatively
inexpensive, but extremely robust, capture program.

"Jack Hayes" <atrei@cyberbeach.net> wrote in message

> ilink method this will require an adapter for your
> computer and likely a special firewire cable from Sony.

Actually, _any_ firewire cable will do. I almost the made the mistake of
splashing out on a so-called iLink cable until I realised that it's just a
firewire cable; what the Sony store sells here in Dublin for ?50, you
can buy on eBay for a fiver!

To the original poster: you then need to buy a PCMCIA firewire card for
your laptop - there's plenty for offer cheap on eBay (starting at £0.99):

http://tinyurl.com/3kvdm

(I've no relation to the seller or to eBay except as a happy customer)

If you're using Windows XP, I'd recommend using Windows Movie
Maker to capture and edit your video; it automatically splits up
the input into clips, which is a nice feature.

You should be all set then, as long as you have enough space
and processor power on your laptop.

P.

On 15 Jan 2005 04:26:17 -0800, shubhankar.das@gmail.com wrote:

>I want to do something so simple that i did not believe it when the
>sony store told me the picture package does not support this.
>I have a DCR-TRV265E and i have recorded a video on it and now i want
>to download it to my laptop.
>i do not have a firewire card on my laptop. i can use only the usb
>cable. what software can i use to do this?
>please help :-/

It IS simple. But you need a Firewire port on your computer.
They're cheap to add on a desktop machine. A little more for a pmcia
card, but not THAT much. Shop around. The same thing is sold at
widely differing price points in the computer world :)

Yes, I KNOW usb is technically up to the job. But your camera
doesn't offer video transfer over usb. You need Firewire.