How to access remote computer

happycomputer

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2004

I have a Windows XP Home computer that I would like to access from another
computer running W2K.
We do not have a highspeed link yet into the Host computer - there is a
dial-up capabilty.
The W2k computer does have a high speed access as well as dial-up
capability. WHat are my options with dial-up and what would I need to do if
we were to get a dsl line into the host computer. Can we access the host via
the Internet with XP Home edition or do I need to upgrade to XP Pro,
Thanks!

You could setup the XP Home machine as a RAS box and dial in directly... See this thread for general
instructions...

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&frame=right&th=3e85c7a9e073549c&seekm=uT27lHfVEHA.3788%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl#link1

Then use UltraVNC to access/control the XP Home machine from the W2K machine... Get the server,
client software and encryption plug-in from...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

If you were to get a broadband ISP (DSL or Cable) for the XP Home machine the same thing applies.
You would, however, need to forward TCP Port 5900 through any firewall/NAT/router between your PC
and the broadband ISP. Call using the public IP of the broadband firewall/NAT/router.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"happycomputer" <happycomputer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Windows XP Home computer that I would like to access from another
> computer running W2K.
> We do not have a highspeed link yet into the Host computer - there is a
> dial-up capabilty.
> The W2k computer does have a high speed access as well as dial-up
> capability. WHat are my options with dial-up and what would I need to do if
> we were to get a dsl line into the host computer. Can we access the host via
> the Internet with XP Home edition or do I need to upgrade to XP Pro,
> Thanks!

happycomputer

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2004

So - I do not need XP Pro or any software like PC Anywhere, etc. ??? Will I
be able to run an application like QuickBooks from the Host Computer? Thanks
again!

"happycomputer" wrote:

> I have a Windows XP Home computer that I would like to access from another
> computer running W2K.
> We do not have a highspeed link yet into the Host computer - there is a
> dial-up capabilty.
> The W2k computer does have a high speed access as well as dial-up
> capability. WHat are my options with dial-up and what would I need to do if
> we were to get a dsl line into the host computer. Can we access the host via
> the Internet with XP Home edition or do I need to upgrade to XP Pro,
> Thanks!

Yep... UltraVNC (or one of the other VNC variants) will allow you to
"see" your desktop.. Now don't expect to play games or other
graphically intensive app, though... :)
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:21:01 -0800, "happycomputer"