How to convert a MPEG's audio from Dolby Digital to LPCM?

Archived from groups: rec.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I am trying to cut an MPEG into multiple pieces using TMPGEnc's MPEG
Editor, but (apparently because they're too cheap to pay for the
license) it doesn't support anything with Dolby Digital-encoded audio.
Right now, I have to jump through a number of hoops in order to get
something with sound to appear in the editor.

(Actually, the source is a set of VOBs from a DVD recorder, but it
gets converted to an MPEG in the first step below.)
Here's what I have to do now:
1. Load the VOBs through TMPGEnc MPEG Editor's source wizard. This
creates an MPEG that has Dolby Digital 2.0 audio, but the software's
editor acts as if there is no audio (and anything I make from that
MPEG ends up silent).
2. In Adobe Premiere Pro, import the MPEG, and then export the audio
as an uncompressed WAV.
3. Use BeSweet to convert the WAV to an MP2.
4. Back to MPEG Editor; use the advanced multiplexer to combine the
video from the MPEG with the modified audio. This results in an MPEG
that MPEG Editor likes. (No sync problems, either, and I am editing
three-hour MPEGs.)

Is there an easier (or at least faster - it takes about 40 minutes for
a three-hour file, mostly in Premiere) way of doing this? Is there
some software I'm missing?

-- Don
4 answers Last reply
More about convert mpeg audio dolby digital lpcm
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Don Del Grande" <del_grande_news@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I am trying to cut an MPEG into multiple pieces using TMPGEnc's MPEG
    > Editor, but (apparently because they're too cheap to pay for the
    > license) it doesn't support anything with Dolby Digital-encoded audio.
    > Right now, I have to jump through a number of hoops in order to get
    > something with sound to appear in the editor.
    >
    > (Actually, the source is a set of VOBs from a DVD recorder, but it
    > gets converted to an MPEG in the first step below.)
    > Here's what I have to do now:
    > 1. Load the VOBs through TMPGEnc MPEG Editor's source wizard. This
    > creates an MPEG that has Dolby Digital 2.0 audio, but the software's
    > editor acts as if there is no audio (and anything I make from that
    > MPEG ends up silent).
    > 2. In Adobe Premiere Pro, import the MPEG, and then export the audio
    > as an uncompressed WAV.
    > 3. Use BeSweet to convert the WAV to an MP2.
    > 4. Back to MPEG Editor; use the advanced multiplexer to combine the
    > video from the MPEG with the modified audio. This results in an MPEG
    > that MPEG Editor likes. (No sync problems, either, and I am editing
    > three-hour MPEGs.)
    >
    > Is there an easier (or at least faster - it takes about 40 minutes for
    > a three-hour file, mostly in Premiere) way of doing this? Is there
    > some software I'm missing?
    >
    > -- Don

    I haven't used the Editor, but they offer a AC3 plug-in that works
    with a number of their products. This is for those of us who are too
    cheap to pay for the license, over and over again, for each piece of
    software we buy.

    You could try VideoReDo www.VideoReDo.com

    Luck;
    Ken
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    You might just take a look at
    http://www.ScienceOxygen.com/signal.html
    http://www.ScienceOxygen.com/gadget.html

    It is just with a collection of links that you
    might start from there.

    >"Don Del Grande" <del_grande_news@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > (Actually, the source is a set of VOBs from a DVD recorder, but it
    > gets converted to an MPEG in the first step below.)

    Those DVD recorders I have know so far, use "mpeg audio", not Ac3. Are
    you sure it's not "mpeg audio" in the first place?

    Bariloche wrote:

    > Don Del Grande wrote:

    >> (Actually, the source is a set of VOBs from a DVD recorder, but it
    >> gets converted to an MPEG in the first step below.)

    > Those DVD recorders I have know so far, use "mpeg audio", not Ac3. Are
    > you sure it's not "mpeg audio" in the first place?

    I'm fairly certain it's AC3, and MPEG Encoder is under the impression
    that that's what it is. (I shelled out for the AC-3 plugin, and now
    have no problems editing the MPEGs with sound.)

    Both my Philips DVDR985 and my Sony RDR-GX300 appear to use AC-3 audio
    in the recordings.

    -- Don

Tuner Cards MPEG Dolby Video Audio Graphics