Sony DCR-PC9 vs DCR-IP5?

These are 2 rather old cameras, but I was wondering which one is
better. I can get the IP5 slightly cheaper than the PC9, but the
microMV format doesn't seem to have caught on.
1 answer Last reply
More about sony

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:45:17 GMT, test@gesg.com (Sir Loin of Beef)
    wrote:

    >These are 2 rather old cameras, but I was wondering which one is
    >better. I can get the IP5 slightly cheaper than the PC9, but the
    >microMV format doesn't seem to have caught on.

    The PC9 records on mini-dv tapes so is more mainstream. You can choose
    the IP5 if size is very important, video-camera's with reasonable good
    quality don't come much smaller than this.

    In using the IP5, in combination with a pc, you wil experience a
    little more difficulty. As the IP5 records in 12 Mb/s mpeg-2, it's
    firewire connection isn't usable with standard firewire in the sense
    that it carries the same data-type. So transporting the data to a pc
    requires software fit for MicroMV. There also is a trick to do when
    capturing the data with Sony's own MovieShaker software: it captures
    the mpeg-2 stream is a rather unusable format for other software.
    There is however a tool on the internet that converts the .mmv file to
    more standard .mpg file. It is called: mmv2mpg.exe.

    Good luck with your choice.

Tuner Cards Sony Desktops Graphics