Sony DCR-PC9 vs DCR-IP5?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 16, 2005 12:45:17 PM

These are 2 rather old cameras, but I was wondering which one is
better. I can get the IP5 slightly cheaper than the PC9, but the
microMV format doesn't seem to have caught on.

More about : sony dcr pc9 dcr ip5

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 6:30:46 PM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:45:17 GMT, test@gesg.com (Sir Loin of Beef)
wrote:

>These are 2 rather old cameras, but I was wondering which one is
>better. I can get the IP5 slightly cheaper than the PC9, but the
>microMV format doesn't seem to have caught on.

The PC9 records on mini-dv tapes so is more mainstream. You can choose
the IP5 if size is very important, video-camera's with reasonable good
quality don't come much smaller than this.

In using the IP5, in combination with a pc, you wil experience a
little more difficulty. As the IP5 records in 12 Mb/s mpeg-2, it's
firewire connection isn't usable with standard firewire in the sense
that it carries the same data-type. So transporting the data to a pc
requires software fit for MicroMV. There also is a trick to do when
capturing the data with Sony's own MovieShaker software: it captures
the mpeg-2 stream is a rather unusable format for other software.
There is however a tool on the internet that converts the .mmv file to
more standard .mpg file. It is called: mmv2mpg.exe.

Good luck with your choice.
!