Outlook 2003 on multiple computers

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hello -

I use Outlook 2003 Pro for a POP account. I currently have the main file
plus one "personal folders" file that I have created to keep the main file
size down. I am not on an Exchange. Is there anyway I can get my laptop to
be using the same files and the get the Outlook applications to sync?

I use "offline" files from my desktop that are saved on my laptop all the
time. I simply sync them when I get back on my network. Is this possible
with Outlook files?

Chris

Outlook is not designed for that... See the Slipstick site for some help with sharing Calendar and
Contacts and/or post to one of the Outlook news groups...

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm

If you simply want to share a single email account setup each machine to leave mail on the server.
One client, however, should be configured to act as the "master" and have the ability to remove
messages from the server after X days. I use this strategy so my wife and I can share one email
account between two XP Pro machines. We do that with Outlook 2003, but its basically the same with
Outlook Express or other versions of Outlook.

Point each of the computers to the mail server at your ISP. Then on one computer go to "Tools ->
Accounts", highlight the email account, select "Properties -> Advanced", and check the box to "Leave
a copy of messages on the server". DO NOT check the "Remove from server after X day(s)" box. On the
other computer go to "Tools -> Accounts", highlight the email account, select "Properties ->
Advanced" and check the box to "Leave a copy of messages on the server". Check the "Remove from
server after X day(s)" box and select how many days to leave messages on the server. That way all
computers can read the mail, but only one controls when and/or if the messages are actually deleted
off of the server.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)