How to change project setting from 4:3 to 16:9?

I started my Premiere Pro project with a 4:3 setting. But now I think
I'd prefer to work in 16:9. When I try to change the setting in
"Project -- Project Setting -- General", I can't change the "Pixel
aspect ratio" from 16:9 to 4:3. It is grayed out.

Is there a way to make the change in mid-project? I would like to
output my movie as 4:3 (for my TV) and 16:9 (for my friend's TV).

<ThumperStrauss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I started my Premiere Pro project with a 4:3 setting. But now I think
> I'd prefer to work in 16:9. When I try to change the setting in
> "Project -- Project Setting -- General", I can't change the "Pixel
> aspect ratio" from 16:9 to 4:3. It is grayed out.
>
> Is there a way to make the change in mid-project? I would like to
> output my movie as 4:3 (for my TV) and 16:9 (for my friend's TV).

You cannot mix 16:9 and 4:3 on the same timeline in Premiere. If you video
is originally 16:9 it will not automatically letterbox on a 4:3 television
upon output. What you will end up with is a squished looking picture.
Although the 16:9 video footage is in a 720x480 DV container directly from
your camcorder the pixel aspect ratio is different from 4:3 D1/DV, and
vice-versa.

Your best means for providing this video footage in 16:9 to both parties
will be to export the project to MPEG-2 16:9 and author to DVD. This will
allow your widescreen friends to see it in full view on their televisions,
and your 4:3 friends to see it letterboxed by their DVD players on their
televisions. Remember though, your widescreen friends will see every single
flaw in your video, especially if you choose to compress it for maximum time
on the disc, because their screens will probably be 1280x720 or 768 while
your video is still 720x480 being stretched out to fill the screen. Compress
less to battle this affliction.
--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions