Can't play xvid avi even after codec

I downloaded an xvid movie in avi format and it crashes whatever app i
use to play it. I've tried Windows Media 10, Real Player, and Roxio
Player. I've got the xvid codec installed and checked out the movie
using GSPOT. It renders fine. The download is complete and I've got 2
different copies of the movie and both crash the players. I'm on XP
with a high end pc and cannot figure this one out.

I have ffdshow installed also.

Will Dormann wrote:
> joshandlisa@gmail.com wrote:
> > I downloaded an xvid movie in avi format and it crashes whatever
app i
> > use to play it. I've tried Windows Media 10, Real Player, and Roxio
> > Player. I've got the xvid codec installed and checked out the
movie
> > using GSPOT. It renders fine. The download is complete and I've got
2
> > different copies of the movie and both crash the players. I'm on
XP
> > with a high end pc and cannot figure this one out.
>
> Maybe try ffdshow.
>

> --
> -WD

What error do you get when you try Windows media player ?
Is the error on load or only when played.?

marko

Distinguished
May 16, 2004

I bet LInux could play the file. Linux apps are much more tolerant of
issues with avi files and video files in general. On Windows, you can
use G-spot (search on www.afterdawn.com) to find out what codecs are
required to play a file and it also tells you whether you've got them
installed! Quite a piece of software.

joshandlisa@gmail.com wrote:
> I downloaded an xvid movie in avi format and it crashes whatever app i
> use to play it. I've tried Windows Media 10, Real Player, and Roxio
> Player. I've got the xvid codec installed and checked out the movie
> using GSPOT. It renders fine. The download is complete and I've got 2
> different copies of the movie and both crash the players. I'm on XP
> with a high end pc and cannot figure this one out.

Maybe try ffdshow.

--
-WD

Yeah, I've used G-Spot and it says I have the required codecs installed
and the file renders successful so it must be some weird OS problem.

I downloaded BSPlayer and that crashes too when trying to play this
avi. I have got the avi to play on another older system in the house.
Must be a problem with that computer or OS and not related to codec or
player.

I doubt it's anything to do with the application - almost certainly
it's the codec crashing. I've experienced crashes with Xvid myself,
and it's always turned out to be errors in the AVI data. If the file
you're trying to play is downloaded, it's quite possible that the file
is incomplete, or there are other transmission errors. Try opening it
in VirtualDub - that's pretty good at identifying problems.
Alternatively, search on google for 'AVI fixer' - there are a number of
free apps which claim to be able to fix damaged AVI files... I haven't
had much luck with them - they seem to just chop the file at teh point
where they find a problem (which doesn't equate to 'fixing' by my
standards!).

Or else just download your AVI again.