DVD recorder quality vs. VHS

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

If I tape from TV or from a VCR, will I get an improved recording with a DVD
recorder vs. a VHS recorder? Also, I notice that the DVD recorder I was
looking at had a firewire input for recording from a DV camcorder. What
would be the advantage in using the firewire input vs. the regular AV
inputs? I'm wondering whether this feature is important to have.

Thanks for your help.
7 answers Last reply
More about recorder quality
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Here is a link that discusses video resolution...

    http://hometheater.about.com/cs/television/a/aavideoresa_2.htm

    The numbers quoted are not hard factual data. They are theoretical
    capabilities. For example in the link you will see that DVD-R has
    250-400 lines of resolution. The fact is that DVD-R has nothing to do
    with resolution and you can stick commercial dvd movies on a DVD-R with
    no change in resolution. There are many other limiting factors such as
    the resolution of your camera, which is a big factor.

    Capturing with firewire would seem to be the optimal input for miniDV
    because you are providing the original source information to the DVD
    recorder without encoding it into analog video and then reversing the
    process in the DVD recorder. There are factors that could possibily
    negate that point, say if the camera had a better DV decoder than the
    DVD player. In the final analysis it may not make much difference
    whether you use 1394 or s-video, but I would be inclined to think that
    1394 would provide better results in the absence of testing both.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "blah" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote:

    >If I tape from TV or from a VCR, will I get an improved recording with a DVD
    >recorder vs. a VHS recorder? Also, I notice that the DVD recorder I was
    >looking at had a firewire input for recording from a DV camcorder. What
    >would be the advantage in using the firewire input vs. the regular AV
    >inputs? I'm wondering whether this feature is important to have.
    >
    >Thanks for your help.
    >
    You get a better quality recording on a DVD recorder compared to a
    VCR.
    VCR records at 250 lines and a DVD Recorder records at 500 lines.
    Using a firewire input for a DV camcorder gives you very liitle loss
    in video quality and in some cases the DVD recorder can control the
    camera.

    Other advantages are:
    The DVD disc will last a longer life than a video tape.
    You can quickly access scenes in the video by adding chapters.
    You can add titles and remove advertisments.

    Regards Brian
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    news:fbgmu05553bng3lcr4db6vbsjgs6l7s6bo@4ax.com...
    > "blah" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote:

    > You get a better quality recording on a DVD recorder compared to a
    > VCR.
    > VCR records at 250 lines and a DVD Recorder records at 500 lines.

    Aha! Interesting.

    > Using a firewire input for a DV camcorder gives you very liitle loss
    > in video quality and in some cases the DVD recorder can control the
    > camera.
    >
    > Other advantages are:
    > The DVD disc will last a longer life than a video tape.
    > You can quickly access scenes in the video by adding chapters.
    > You can add titles and remove advertisments.
    >

    Thanks

    > Regards Brian
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    news:fbgmu05553bng3lcr4db6vbsjgs6l7s6bo@4ax.com...
    > "blah" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote:
    >

    > You get a better quality recording on a DVD recorder compared to a
    > VCR.
    > VCR records at 250 lines and a DVD Recorder records at 500 lines.
    > Using a firewire input for a DV camcorder gives you very liitle loss
    > in video quality and in some cases the DVD recorder can control the
    > camera.
    >

    One other thing: I'm talking about recording from TV or VHS. Does that
    matter? In other words, is the resolution so low that it doesn't matter
    what I use to record it, or does the DVD recorder to better no matter what?
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "blah" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote in message
    news:wsKdnebSv4ZX3nbcRVn-vQ@comcast.com...
    >
    >> Using a firewire input for a DV camcorder gives you very liitle loss
    >> in video quality and in some cases the DVD recorder can control the
    >> camera.
    >>

    What is the quality of the firewire input compared to
    composite/S-video/component input? The DVD recorder I was looking at had
    composite and firewire, but some others that I've seen (low-end) have
    S-video.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "blah" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote:

    >
    >"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    >news:fbgmu05553bng3lcr4db6vbsjgs6l7s6bo@4ax.com...
    >> "blah" <asdlf@alkjfd.com> wrote:
    >>
    >
    >> You get a better quality recording on a DVD recorder compared to a
    >> VCR.
    >> VCR records at 250 lines and a DVD Recorder records at 500 lines.
    >> Using a firewire input for a DV camcorder gives you very liitle loss
    >> in video quality and in some cases the DVD recorder can control the
    >> camera.
    >>
    >
    >One other thing: I'm talking about recording from TV or VHS. Does that
    >matter? In other words, is the resolution so low that it doesn't matter
    >what I use to record it, or does the DVD recorder to better no matter what?
    >

    Most DVD Recorders have built in noise filters and video enchancers to
    improve on the recording from VHS or TV, so you can get a better
    picture than the original recording.

    Regards Brian
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "FLY135" <fly_135@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Here is a link that discusses video resolution...
    >
    >http://hometheater.about.com/cs/television/a/aavideoresa_2.htm
    >
    >The numbers quoted are not hard factual data. They are theoretical
    >capabilities. For example in the link you will see that DVD-R has
    >250-400 lines of resolution. The fact is that DVD-R has nothing to do
    >with resolution and you can stick commercial dvd movies on a DVD-R with
    >no change in resolution. There are many other limiting factors such as
    >the resolution of your camera, which is a big factor.
    >
    >Capturing with firewire would seem to be the optimal input for miniDV
    >because you are providing the original source information to the DVD
    >recorder without encoding it into analog video and then reversing the
    >process in the DVD recorder. There are factors that could possibily
    >negate that point, say if the camera had a better DV decoder than the
    >DVD player. In the final analysis it may not make much difference
    >whether you use 1394 or s-video, but I would be inclined to think that
    >1394 would provide better results in the absence of testing both.

    Also when using the DV input information such as date and time of the
    camcorder recording is also transfered and is used to create chapters
    on the DVD recording.

    Regards Brian
Ask a new question

Read More

Tuner Cards DVD Firewire Graphics