Which MPEG-2 encoder is being used?

This is about how one can determine which (of many) software codec is being
used by Windows.

I have ATI Radeon 9800 All-in-wonder card (MMC 9.03) which includes a tuner
that captures video (from cable-tv, in my case). The file format I chose is
MPEG-2 (720x480, NTSC, 8 MB/s, audio 48 KHz, 16 bit stereo). There may be
encoders from other software on the system, like Roxio EZMedia Creator, that
has a DVD authoring component, codecs installed by XPPro, Media Player, etc.

In any case, I used to get excellent MPEG-2 captures, which played well in
all mediaplayers.

Until I installed Adobe Premiere Elements. That must have installed it's
own MPEG encoder, because now I get files captured that pause, look jerky,
are difficult to fast forward through, and not as good visually.

Question: How do I determine which MPEG-2 encoder is being used ?

Question: Is there a way to specify which encoder gets used by default in
XP?

Thanks.
--
Aloke
----

    Aloke Prasad wrote:
    > This is about how one can determine which (of many) software codec is
    being
    > used by Windows.
    >
    > I have ATI Radeon 9800 All-in-wonder card (MMC 9.03) which includes a
    tuner
    > that captures video (from cable-tv, in my case). The file format I
    chose is
    > MPEG-2 (720x480, NTSC, 8 MB/s, audio 48 KHz, 16 bit stereo). There
    may be
    > encoders from other software on the system, like Roxio EZMedia
    Creator, that
    > has a DVD authoring component, codecs installed by XPPro, Media
    Player, etc.

    > In any case, I used to get excellent MPEG-2 captures, which played
    well in
    > all mediaplayers.
    >
    > Until I installed Adobe Premiere Elements. That must have installed
    it's
    > own MPEG encoder, because now I get files captured that pause, look
    jerky,
    > are difficult to fast forward through, and not as good visually.
    >
    > Question: How do I determine which MPEG-2 encoder is being used ?
    >
    > Question: Is there a way to specify which encoder gets used by
    default in
    > XP?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Aloke
    > ----
    > to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com

    I do not know if this applies to mpeg but used to be true for avi
    files.
    The file identifies the codec with a fourcc code.
    Windows (or the application) searches the registry for installed codecs
    that match the code. The first found is used.

    You can search the registry for the codecs installed and see if the new
    application has installed a different codec in front of the one
    previously used.

    In windows XP I am told you can see whats installed through the control
    panel and activate or deactivate them.

    There are a couple of utilities that do the same sort of thing.
    What would cause you grief is an updated codec.

    <marks542004@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Aloke Prasad wrote:
    >> This is about how one can determine which (of many) software codec is
    > being
    >> used by Windows.
    >
    > I do not know if this applies to mpeg but used to be true for avi
    > files.
    > The file identifies the codec with a fourcc code.
    > Windows (or the application) searches the registry for installed codecs
    > that match the code. The first found is used.
    >
    > You can search the registry for the codecs installed and see if the new
    > application has installed a different codec in front of the one
    > previously used.
    >
    > In windows XP I am told you can see whats installed through the control
    > panel and activate or deactivate them.

    I could not identify the CP applet used to do this ..

    > There are a couple of utilities that do the same sort of thing.
    > What would cause you grief is an updated codec.

    Any idea which ones?

    --
    Aloke
    ----

    "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message

    > <marks542004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Aloke Prasad wrote:
    >>> This is about how one can determine which (of many) software codec is
    >> being
    >>> used by Windows.
    >>
    >> I do not know if this applies to mpeg but used to be true for avi
    >> files.
    >> The file identifies the codec with a fourcc code.
    >> Windows (or the application) searches the registry for installed codecs
    >> that match the code. The first found is used.
    >>
    >> You can search the registry for the codecs installed and see if the new
    >> application has installed a different codec in front of the one
    >> previously used.
    >>
    >> In windows XP I am told you can see whats installed through the control
    >> panel and activate or deactivate them.
    >
    > I could not identify the CP applet used to do this ..
    >
    >> There are a couple of utilities that do the same sort of thing.
    >> What would cause you grief is an updated codec.
    >
    > Any idea which ones?

    There is a "Merit" system that is used with the codec:

    0x00 80 00 00 Preferred
    00 60 00 00 Normal
    00 40 00 00 Unlikely
    00 20 00 00 Do not use

    00 10 00 00 Sw-compressor
    00 10 00 50 Hw-compressor

    Luck;
    Ken

    "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <marks542004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> You can search the registry for the codecs installed and see if the new
    >>> application has installed a different codec in front of the one
    >>> previously used.
    >>>
    >>> In windows XP I am told you can see whats installed through the control
    >>> panel and activate or deactivate them.
    >>
    >> I could not identify the CP applet used to do this ..
    >>
    >>> There are a couple of utilities that do the same sort of thing.
    >>> What would cause you grief is an updated codec.
    >>
    >> Any idea which ones?
    >>

    > There is a "Merit" system that is used with the codec:
    >
    > 0x00 80 00 00 Preferred
    > 00 60 00 00 Normal
    > 00 40 00 00 Unlikely
    > 00 20 00 00 Do not use
    >
    > 00 10 00 00 Sw-compressor
    > 00 10 00 50 Hw-compressor

    Which location in the registry has these settings?
    --
    Aloke
    ----

Tuner Cards MPEG Graphics