print driver on server...

a b α HP
November 17, 2004 4:13:11 PM

I understand that if the driver for a local printer isn't installed on a
remote server, then even if "printers" is checked on the local resource tab,
you wont see the printer. I also understand that the driver needs to be
installed on the remote server. I just dont know how to accomplish this. I
have been playing around with two different printers. The first is an HP
6110xi. Even after running the driver/software installation package from HP,
it doesnt show up in remote desktop. I think that during the install since
the server can't see the printer locally it isnt placing the driver entries
in the correct folders. I think that it is waiting for plug and play to
detect the device and then it will make the correct entries. The second
printer the I tried is a Brother 4100. I can download the necessary driver
files from Brother, but they are not included in any type of installation
package. It is just the inf,cat,and gpd files. I run into the same problem. I
dont know where to put them and windows wont correctly insert the files into
system folders until it detects the plug and play printer locally. How do I
get the printer drivers installed on the server that I want to remote into.???

More about : print driver server

Anonymous
a b α HP
November 18, 2004 1:10:45 AM

AHeber <AHeber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I understand that if the driver for a local printer isn't installed
> on a remote server, then even if "printers" is checked on the local
> resource tab, you wont see the printer. I also understand that the
> driver needs to be installed on the remote server. I just dont know
> how to accomplish this. I have been playing around with two different
> printers. The first is an HP 6110xi. Even after running the
> driver/software installation package from HP, it doesnt show up in
> remote desktop.

With some USB-connected HP printers, you might need to carry out the
procedure in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302361
Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT, or USB Are Not
Redirected in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Session

> The
> second printer the I tried is a Brother 4100. I can download the
> necessary driver files from Brother, but they are not included in any
> type of installation package. It is just the inf,cat,and gpd files. I
> run into the same problem. I dont know where to put them and windows
> wont correctly insert the files into system folders until it detects
> the plug and play printer locally. How do I get the printer drivers
> installed on the server that I want to remote into.???

If you have a collection of installer files, including an INF file, then
just right-click on the INF file and select "Install".

But if the collection includes a "setup.exe" executable, then just lauch
that.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

I tried right-clicking the INF file that was included in the driver download
of the Brother 4100, still doesnt work. Also I have run the installer package
that was included in the HP 6110xi driver download. That doesnt work either.
I think that the HP installer is putting the drivers in a temp folder and
then waiting for "Plug and Play" to find the drivers and install accordingly.

"Robin Walker" wrote:

> AHeber <AHeber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I understand that if the driver for a local printer isn't installed
> > on a remote server, then even if "printers" is checked on the local
> > resource tab, you wont see the printer. I also understand that the
> > driver needs to be installed on the remote server. I just dont know
> > how to accomplish this. I have been playing around with two different
> > printers. The first is an HP 6110xi. Even after running the
> > driver/software installation package from HP, it doesnt show up in
> > remote desktop.
>
> With some USB-connected HP printers, you might need to carry out the
> procedure in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302361
> Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT, or USB Are Not
> Redirected in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Session
>
> > The
> > second printer the I tried is a Brother 4100. I can download the
> > necessary driver files from Brother, but they are not included in any
> > type of installation package. It is just the inf,cat,and gpd files. I
> > run into the same problem. I dont know where to put them and windows
> > wont correctly insert the files into system folders until it detects
> > the plug and play printer locally. How do I get the printer drivers
> > installed on the server that I want to remote into.???
>
> If you have a collection of installer files, including an INF file, then
> just right-click on the INF file and select "Install".
>
> But if the collection includes a "setup.exe" executable, then just lauch
> that.
>
> --
> Robin Walker
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Related resources
February 8, 2012 12:13:59 AM

If you follow these instructions to install the printer driver on the server you shouldn't have any problems: http://techmemos.com/tips-and-tricks/fix-missing-printe...

Quote:

[...]

February 8, 2012 12:58:06 AM

Printers in remote sessions can easily be one of the MOST frustrating things to troubleshoot. I've pulled more hair out doing that than with many other issues. So much so that once I get it working, I don't mess with it!

Some things I've learned
1. If you can avoid it, don't mess with all-in-one printers, especially those with built in card readers etc. These are typically the HP brands who's drivers are bundled in a larger *.exe installer. Although you can get them to work, it is a real pain and generally involves using an alternate very basic printer driver and then using the printer redirection tool (see below).

2. kman's link show's an important "how to" which is adding the drivers via the server properties window. This is the first and most important step. You have to have the correct driver. If I need to pull a driver out of an exe file, you can use 7-zip to explore the exe and find the inf file you're looking for.

3. Now to the most useful tool - when you connect the RDP session with the printers option checked, windows sees the printer on the remote computer and looks for the driver on the host machine. If it doesn't find the right one, it doesn't load it and you can't see it in your printers and faxes folder. You can look in the event viewer and find the error log where it couldn't find the driver. This tool -- http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displ... -- the microsoft printer redirection tool - goes through this error log, and allows you to manually tell Windows what printer driver to use if it can't find the right one. So, if you are trying to use a complicated all-in-one printer and are using a basic driver, you use the printer redirection tool to tell Windows to use the basic driver for that printer. Then, once you're finished, when you reconnect the RDP session, windows now knows what driver to use.

As I said, this can be very frustrating but hopefully that gets you started. And to repeat, it is more important to just get basic printing set up - than to spend 4 hours trying to get some bloated all-in-one inkjet to be seen, TRUST ME!
!