Media player stops on disconnect

I want to set up a spare pc as my music machine. I want to rip cds to the
harddrive then use music player to organize play lists. This is the easy
part. Now, I want to access this machine via remote connection, start the
music playing, then disconnect and have the music continue on the remote
machine. Everything works great (log on, music plays on remote machine) until
I disconnect. When I disconnect I am warned that my applications will
continue to run, but media player stops playing. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

= toma =
5 answers Last reply
More about media player stops disconnect

    Are you running SP2? There are reports that SP2 broke this
    functionality...
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:24:05 -0800, Toma12
    <Toma12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I want to set up a spare pc as my music machine. I want to rip cds to the
    >harddrive then use music player to organize play lists. This is the easy
    >part. Now, I want to access this machine via remote connection, start the
    >music playing, then disconnect and have the music continue on the remote
    >machine. Everything works great (log on, music plays on remote machine) until
    >I disconnect. When I disconnect I am warned that my applications will
    >continue to run, but media player stops playing. Can anyone help?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    > = toma =

    Yes, SP2 with Media player 10. I guess I'll just keep an eye out for a fix.

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > Are you running SP2? There are reports that SP2 broke this
    > functionality...
    > ---
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    > Windows Network Technology Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    > Windows Home Networking Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >

    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:24:05 -0800, Toma12
    > <Toma12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I want to set up a spare pc as my music machine. I want to rip cds to the
    > >harddrive then use music player to organize play lists. This is the easy
    > >part. Now, I want to access this machine via remote connection, start the
    > >music playing, then disconnect and have the music continue on the remote
    > >machine. Everything works great (log on, music plays on remote machine) until
    > >I disconnect. When I disconnect I am warned that my applications will
    > >continue to run, but media player stops playing. Can anyone help?
    > >
    > >Thanks.
    > >
    > > = toma =

    I'll post back if I hear anything new...
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:57:05 -0800, Toma12
    <Toma12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Yes, SP2 with Media player 10. I guess I'll just keep an eye out for a fix.
    >
    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Are you running SP2? There are reports that SP2 broke this
    >> functionality...
    >> ---
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows Network Technology Community -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    >> Windows Home Networking Community -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >>

    >> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:24:05 -0800, Toma12
    >> <Toma12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I want to set up a spare pc as my music machine. I want to rip cds to the
    >> >harddrive then use music player to organize play lists. This is the easy
    >> >part. Now, I want to access this machine via remote connection, start the
    >> >music playing, then disconnect and have the music continue on the remote
    >> >machine. Everything works great (log on, music plays on remote machine) until
    >> >I disconnect. When I disconnect I am warned that my applications will
    >> >continue to run, but media player stops playing. Can anyone help?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > = toma =

    Any news?
    I'm using XP sp2 on my laptop as well as my desktop. The desktop (w/o
    monitor) is intended mainly to download files and play music through the
    stereo.

    When working on the desktop (with monitor), everything is fine, however, I
    don't manage to get any sound out of the desktop if I approach it remote.
    And downloading stops too, when using the desktop remote.

    So, is this an SP2 bug (as suggested earlier in this thread) and is there a
    fix already?

    Thanks
    David

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > I'll post back if I hear anything new...
    > ---
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    > Windows Network Technology Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    > Windows Home Networking Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >
    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:57:05 -0800, Toma12
    > <Toma12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Yes, SP2 with Media player 10. I guess I'll just keep an eye out for a fix.
    > >
    > >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are you running SP2? There are reports that SP2 broke this
    > >> functionality...
    > >> ---
    > >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
    > >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    > >>
    > >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    > >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    > >> be answered depending on time availability....
    > >>
    > >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    > >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    > >> Windows Network Technology Community -
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    > >> Windows Home Networking Community -
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    any news on a fix for this problem? It bugs me as I use a laptop to control
    my Music System running on a desktop with Media Player 10 and XP SP2. A fix
    would be great rather than switching to a different media player.
    --
    alexmo

    "Toma12" wrote:

    > Yes, SP2 with Media player 10. I guess I'll just keep an eye out for a fix.
    >
    > "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Are you running SP2? There are reports that SP2 broke this
    > > functionality...
    > > ---
    > > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
    > > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    > >
    > > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    > > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    > > be answered depending on time availability....
    > >
    > > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    > > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    > > Windows Network Technology Community -
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    > > Windows Home Networking Community -
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    > >

    > > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:24:05 -0800, Toma12
    > > <Toma12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I want to set up a spare pc as my music machine. I want to rip cds to the
    > > >harddrive then use music player to organize play lists. This is the easy
    > > >part. Now, I want to access this machine via remote connection, start the
    > > >music playing, then disconnect and have the music continue on the remote
    > > >machine. Everything works great (log on, music plays on remote machine) until
    > > >I disconnect. When I disconnect I am warned that my applications will
    > > >continue to run, but media player stops playing. Can anyone help?
    > > >
    > > >Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > = toma =

Connection Music Media Player Windows XP