backing up camcorder video to DVD-RW (video) or DVD-RW (VR)?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players (More info?)

I'm trying to decide on what format to use when I backup my video from
my camcorder to DVD-RW disk.
If I record in the VR format then I can only play the video on my DVD
recorder but I do get extra editing functions.
If I record in DVD-RW (video) format I can play the video on another
recorder once I've finalized the DVD but I loose the extra editing
functions.

What format (vr or video) do other people perter to use when backing
up video from TV or camcorder to dvd-rw disc?

Regards Brian

"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
> I'm trying to decide on what format to use when I backup my video from
> my camcorder to DVD-RW disk.
> If I record in the VR format then I can only play the video on my DVD
> recorder but I do get extra editing functions.
> If I record in DVD-RW (video) format I can play the video on another
> recorder once I've finalized the DVD but I loose the extra editing
> functions.
>
> What format (vr or video) do other people perter to use when backing
> up video from TV or camcorder to dvd-rw disc?
>
> Regards Brian

I choose backup option "c" but it requires special software.

Step 1- backup to dvdrw in either format
Step 2- use TMPGencoder to edit what you have recorded
Step 3- burn a copy of the edited video to 2 separate dvd-r discs (which
play most anywhere and you have two just in case)

good luck with whatever you choose!

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players (More info?)

"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
> I'm trying to decide on what format to use when I backup my video from
> my camcorder to DVD-RW disk.
> If I record in the VR format then I can only play the video on my DVD
> recorder but I do get extra editing functions.
> If I record in DVD-RW (video) format I can play the video on another
> recorder once I've finalized the DVD but I loose the extra editing
> functions.
>
> What format (vr or video) do other people perter to use when backing
> up video from TV or camcorder to dvd-rw disc?
>
> Regards Brian

Most people capture/transfer the video to their PC's in a close to
uncompressed format, edit it, compress it to dvd standard mpeg1 or mpeg2,
THEN put it to some form of DVD. This will always yield the best results

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players (More info?)

Sorry I should have written that I'm using a DVD Recorder.

Regards Brian

Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

>I'm trying to decide on what format to use when I backup my video from
>my camcorder to DVD-RW disk.
>If I record in the VR format then I can only play the video on my DVD
>recorder but I do get extra editing functions.
>If I record in DVD-RW (video) format I can play the video on another
>recorder once I've finalized the DVD but I loose the extra editing
>functions.
>
>What format (vr or video) do other people perter to use when backing
>up video from TV or camcorder to dvd-rw disc?
>
>Regards Brian

terry

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players (More info?)

I have just started to backup my 8mm tapes to DVD recorder(Archive)
I have tried all formats and have settled on either DVD+/- R as the price as
dropped to AUD70c
If I wish to edit I just copy the vob file to HD and change ext. I use
Studio8 to edit.
To get 1 hr on a CDR I use DVDx to convert to mpeg1.
My recorder is a dual format LG. so far I haven't found any difference only
the DVD+r allows for better chapter setup. If you are carefull then why use
RW's unless the price of these drop significantly.

"terry" <prism@froggy.com.au> wrote:

>I have just started to backup my 8mm tapes to DVD recorder(Archive)
>I have tried all formats and have settled on either DVD+/- R as the price as
>dropped to AUD70c
>If I wish to edit I just copy the vob file to HD and change ext. I use
>Studio8 to edit.
>To get 1 hr on a CDR I use DVDx to convert to mpeg1.
>My recorder is a dual format LG. so far I haven't found any difference only
>the DVD+r allows for better chapter setup. If you are carefull then why use
>RW's unless the price of these drop significantly.

Thanks Terry.
The reason for using DVD-RW is so I can edit the contents of the disc.
I could edit the video on the hard drive of the DVD recorder first,
but it takes time as I want to make sure I have a backup of the video
(from my camcorder) on DVD should the hard drive on my DVD player
crash.

The advantage of recording in (video format) to CD-RW is that I can
finalize and unfinalize the DVD to play on other DVD players.

The advantage of recording in (VR format) is that I can still edit the
video on the DVD-RW disc, but unless I finalize the DVD disc I can't
play it on another recent DVD player. My two older DVD players can't
play a VR formatted CD-RW, but I may be better a more modem recorder
later.
I'm also been told that not all DVD recorders can read an unfinalized
disc that has been created in a DVD recorder, so if later I should my
DVD recorder and brought a different brand (or replace my DVD recorder
due to being unable to be fixed) then I might not be able to read my
discs that more formatted as VR.
[Can someone confirm this]

Regards Brian