DVD Architect 2.0 Chapter/Scene Selection Problems

CW

I am trying to create a DVD with Sony's DVDA 2.0. I have encoded a mini-DV
avi file to an mpeg-2 mpg version using TMPGEnc. My problem is creating
scene selections. I have manually created all the chapter points in DVDA,
and have inserted a Scene Selections sub menu under the Main Menu in the
Project Overview window. Everything seems to flow correctly using Preview,
but when I play the DVD in my Apex DVD player and choose to select a scene,
nothing happens. The highlight goes away from the graphic, but I never go to
the scene. The movie renders fine. Any ideas?

Have you played the DVD in another player to confirm? Does it play on the
PC's DVD player correctly?

Are the scenes selections created linked to the correct scene (thought the
Properties area window), i.e. If you select a scene button on your layout
window, does the Button Properties, (submenu) "Action", (submenu)
"Destination chapter", show the correct link? Just a thought.

rqo

"CW" <crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to create a DVD with Sony's DVDA 2.0. I have encoded a mini-DV
>avi file to an mpeg-2 mpg version using TMPGEnc. My problem is creating
>scene selections. I have manually created all the chapter points in DVDA,
>and have inserted a Scene Selections sub menu under the Main Menu in the
>Project Overview window. Everything seems to flow correctly using Preview,
>but when I play the DVD in my Apex DVD player and choose to select a scene,
>nothing happens. The highlight goes away from the graphic, but I never go
>to the scene. The movie renders fine. Any ideas?

CW

My compilation works fine with PowerDVD on the PC. However, when played in
the APEX AD-1200, I can select the chapter/scene, the highlight disappears
off of the thumbnail, and instead of playing the selected chapter, the
video stays locked on to the menu screen. I can select the "Main Menu"
button on the remote control, and the player returns to the highlight to the
thumbnail on the menu screen and allows me to move the cursor around again.

I have tried several variations and several different video files by using
DVDA's marker tools and scene selection menus to no avail. As an experiment,
I burned the sample project that comes with DVDA to see if Sony's version
would work with my cheap DVD player, and it did.

So, as a final experiment (I am out of iterations), I opened up Vegas 5 and
placed markers in the video and saved it. Then I opened that file up in DVDA
and made the same scene selection type menu as before, burned the DVD
compilation to a DVD+RW, and my AD-1200 allowed correct playback of selected
chapters. No idea why this worked.

CW

"rqo" <safetyo-nospam@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote in message
> Have you played the DVD in another player to confirm? Does it play on the
> PC's DVD player correctly?
>
> Are the scenes selections created linked to the correct scene (thought the
> Properties area window), i.e. If you select a scene button on your layout
> window, does the Button Properties, (submenu) "Action", (submenu)
> "Destination chapter", show the correct link? Just a thought.
>
> rqo
>

> "CW" <crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I am trying to create a DVD with Sony's DVDA 2.0. I have encoded a mini-DV
>>avi file to an mpeg-2 mpg version using TMPGEnc. My problem is creating
>>scene selections. I have manually created all the chapter points in DVDA,
>>and have inserted a Scene Selections sub menu under the Main Menu in the
>>Project Overview window. Everything seems to flow correctly using Preview,
>>but when I play the DVD in my Apex DVD player and choose to select a
>>scene, nothing happens. The highlight goes away from the graphic, but I
>>never go to the scene. The movie renders fine. Any ideas?

Are you running the latest version of DVDA (2.0b)? Seems to me that a
recent patch fixed the markers issue but I'm not positive.

Mike

CW wrote:
> My compilation works fine with PowerDVD on the PC. However, when
> played in the APEX AD-1200, I can select the chapter/scene, the
> highlight disappears off of the thumbnail, and instead of playing the
> selected chapter, the video stays locked on to the menu screen. I
> can select the "Main Menu" button on the remote control, and the
> player returns to the highlight to the thumbnail on the menu screen
> and allows me to move the cursor around again.
>
> I have tried several variations and several different video files by
> using DVDA's marker tools and scene selection menus to no avail. As
> an experiment, I burned the sample project that comes with DVDA to
> see if Sony's version would work with my cheap DVD player, and it did.
>
> So, as a final experiment (I am out of iterations), I opened up Vegas
> 5 and placed markers in the video and saved it. Then I opened that
> file up in DVDA and made the same scene selection type menu as
> before, burned the DVD compilation to a DVD+RW, and my AD-1200
> allowed correct playback of selected chapters. No idea why this
> worked.
>
> CW
>
> "rqo" <safetyo-nospam@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote in message
>> Have you played the DVD in another player to confirm? Does it play
>> on the PC's DVD player correctly?
>>
>> Are the scenes selections created linked to the correct scene
>> (thought the Properties area window), i.e. If you select a scene
>> button on your layout window, does the Button Properties, (submenu)
>> "Action", (submenu) "Destination chapter", show the correct link?
>> Just a thought.
>>
>> rqo
>>

>> "CW" <crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I am trying to create a DVD with Sony's DVDA 2.0. I have encoded a
>>> mini-DV avi file to an mpeg-2 mpg version using TMPGEnc. My problem
>>> is creating scene selections. I have manually created all the
>>> chapter points in DVDA, and have inserted a Scene Selections sub
>>> menu under the Main Menu in the Project Overview window. Everything
>>> seems to flow correctly using Preview, but when I play the DVD in
>>> my Apex DVD player and choose to select a scene, nothing happens.
>>> The highlight goes away from the graphic, but I never go to the
>>> scene. The movie renders fine. Any ideas?

CW

Good catch! And, I saw this a couple of days ago thinking this was the Holy
Grail. But, after upgrading, the chapter selections still did not work in
DVDA. Oh well, at least I can "hard code" the markers in Vegas, and render
them in DVDA (it makes no sense to me, but it does work). Thanks for your
post, though.

CW

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Are you running the latest version of DVDA (2.0b)? Seems to me that a
> recent patch fixed the markers issue but I'm not positive.
>
> Mike
>

> CW wrote:
>> My compilation works fine with PowerDVD on the PC. However, when
>> played in the APEX AD-1200, I can select the chapter/scene, the
>> highlight disappears off of the thumbnail, and instead of playing the
>> selected chapter, the video stays locked on to the menu screen. I
>> can select the "Main Menu" button on the remote control, and the
>> player returns to the highlight to the thumbnail on the menu screen
>> and allows me to move the cursor around again.
>>
>> I have tried several variations and several different video files by
>> using DVDA's marker tools and scene selection menus to no avail. As
>> an experiment, I burned the sample project that comes with DVDA to
>> see if Sony's version would work with my cheap DVD player, and it did.
>>
>> So, as a final experiment (I am out of iterations), I opened up Vegas
>> 5 and placed markers in the video and saved it. Then I opened that
>> file up in DVDA and made the same scene selection type menu as
>> before, burned the DVD compilation to a DVD+RW, and my AD-1200
>> allowed correct playback of selected chapters. No idea why this
>> worked.
>>
>> CW
>>
>> "rqo" <safetyo-nospam@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote in message
>>> Have you played the DVD in another player to confirm? Does it play
>>> on the PC's DVD player correctly?
>>>
>>> Are the scenes selections created linked to the correct scene
>>> (thought the Properties area window), i.e. If you select a scene
>>> button on your layout window, does the Button Properties, (submenu)
>>> "Action", (submenu) "Destination chapter", show the correct link?
>>> Just a thought.
>>>
>>> rqo
>>>

>>> "CW" <crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I'm still not sure why your chapters markers made in DVDA didn't work. I've
done it both ways many times. Placed makers in Vegas and DVDA, and they
both work fine. If you ever figure it out, drop a post on here.

> Good catch! And, I saw this a couple of days ago thinking this was the
> Holy Grail. But, after upgrading, the chapter selections still did not
> work in DVDA. Oh well, at least I can "hard code" the markers in Vegas,
> and render them in DVDA (it makes no sense to me, but it does work).
> Thanks for your post, though.
>
> CW
>
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Are you running the latest version of DVDA (2.0b)? Seems to me that a
>> recent patch fixed the markers issue but I'm not positive.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> CW wrote:
>>> My compilation works fine with PowerDVD on the PC. However, when
>>> played in the APEX AD-1200, I can select the chapter/scene, the
>>> highlight disappears off of the thumbnail, and instead of playing the
>>> selected chapter, the video stays locked on to the menu screen. I
>>> can select the "Main Menu" button on the remote control, and the
>>> player returns to the highlight to the thumbnail on the menu screen
>>> and allows me to move the cursor around again.
>>>
>>> I have tried several variations and several different video files by
>>> using DVDA's marker tools and scene selection menus to no avail. As
>>> an experiment, I burned the sample project that comes with DVDA to
>>> see if Sony's version would work with my cheap DVD player, and it did.
>>>
>>> So, as a final experiment (I am out of iterations), I opened up Vegas
>>> 5 and placed markers in the video and saved it. Then I opened that
>>> file up in DVDA and made the same scene selection type menu as
>>> before, burned the DVD compilation to a DVD+RW, and my AD-1200
>>> allowed correct playback of selected chapters. No idea why this
>>> worked.
>>>
>>> CW
>>>
>>> "rqo" <safetyo-nospam@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote in message

It's always worked for me as well so I'm just as puzzled. I do remember
reading about this issue on one of the many Vegas forums I subscribe to.
The problem is trying to remember which one :-(

Mike