VHS -> DV -> XviD -> DV -> MPEG2 -> DVD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2005 5:15:14 PM

Realizing that compressed video loses quality with each generation, and
that MPEG4/DivX/XviD isn't best suited for editing, but wanting to
archive home movie tapes from VHS to XviD to save space and for
convience; in the event that I wanted to go back and edit some
compressed XviD files, could I get around generation-quality issues by
converting the XviD files to DV first, and then recompressing the final
product back to XviD or MPEG2?

More about : vhs xvid mpeg2 dvd

January 17, 2005 5:15:15 PM

Just keep all of the original tapes. One day, you will wish you did.

Tony

"Ezzard Charles" <user@example.com> wrote in message
> Realizing that compressed video loses quality with each generation, and
> that MPEG4/DivX/XviD isn't best suited for editing, but wanting to archive
> home movie tapes from VHS to XviD to save space and for convience; in the
> event that I wanted to go back and edit some compressed XviD files, could
> I get around generation-quality issues by converting the XviD files to DV
> first, and then recompressing the final product back to XviD or MPEG2?
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 9:30:11 PM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:15:14 GMT, Ezzard Charles <user@example.com>
wrote:

>Realizing that compressed video loses quality with each generation, and
>that MPEG4/DivX/XviD isn't best suited for editing, but wanting to
>archive home movie tapes from VHS to XviD to save space and for
>convience; in the event that I wanted to go back and edit some
>compressed XviD files, could I get around generation-quality issues by
>converting the XviD files to DV first, and then recompressing the final
>product back to XviD or MPEG2?

No, however this will help you in editing (DV can be edited by
numerous editors very well) it will give you more loss.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 5:57:11 AM

>On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:15:14 GMT, Ezzard Charles <user@example.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Realizing that compressed video loses quality with each generation, and
>>that MPEG4/DivX/XviD isn't best suited for editing, but wanting to
>>archive home movie tapes from VHS to XviD to save space and for
>>convience; in the event that I wanted to go back and edit some
>>compressed XviD files, could I get around generation-quality issues by
>>converting the XviD files to DV first

Not to DV, which is lossy, but to Huffyuv, which is lossless. There
shall be a degradation when converting back to Xvid, but at least you
avoid the degradation when converting _from_ Xvid.
!