VHS -> DV -> XviD -> DV -> MPEG2 -> DVD

Realizing that compressed video loses quality with each generation, and
that MPEG4/DivX/XviD isn't best suited for editing, but wanting to
archive home movie tapes from VHS to XviD to save space and for
convience; in the event that I wanted to go back and edit some
compressed XviD files, could I get around generation-quality issues by
converting the XviD files to DV first, and then recompressing the final
product back to XviD or MPEG2?

TR

Just keep all of the original tapes. One day, you will wish you did.

Tony

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:15:14 GMT, Ezzard Charles <user@example.com>
wrote:

>Realizing that compressed video loses quality with each generation, and
>that MPEG4/DivX/XviD isn't best suited for editing, but wanting to
>archive home movie tapes from VHS to XviD to save space and for
>convience; in the event that I wanted to go back and edit some
>compressed XviD files, could I get around generation-quality issues by
>converting the XviD files to DV first, and then recompressing the final
>product back to XviD or MPEG2?

No, however this will help you in editing (DV can be edited by
numerous editors very well) it will give you more loss.

>On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:15:14 GMT, Ezzard Charles <user@example.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Realizing that compressed video loses quality with each generation, and
>>that MPEG4/DivX/XviD isn't best suited for editing, but wanting to
>>archive home movie tapes from VHS to XviD to save space and for
>>convience; in the event that I wanted to go back and edit some
>>compressed XviD files, could I get around generation-quality issues by
>>converting the XviD files to DV first

Not to DV, which is lossy, but to Huffyuv, which is lossless. There
shall be a degradation when converting back to Xvid, but at least you
avoid the degradation when converting _from_ Xvid.