Remote Desktop Connection over Broadband to PC's behind a ..

I need to setup a remote desktop connection from my home to my office. I am
using Verizon DSL at home with a Linksys Wireless router that assigns an IP.
At work it is the same setup on DSL and it also assigns IP. Now the IPs it
assigns are 192's in my office so I am not sure how to identify those PC's
over the internet so that I can connect to them. Thanks for you help.

First its best to use a static IP on the PC at work that you want to access/control with Remote
Desktop. The reason being is that a dynamic IP can change if you reboot the PC making any port
forwarding scheme moot...Note this is the local LAN IP of the PC as assigned by the Linksys routers
DHCP server and *NOT* the IP assigned to the office router by your ISP...

http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

You will need to forward TCP Port 3389 through the office Linksys router to the private LAN IP of
the PC your trying to access/control using Remote Desktop...See this page for help or look at the
users guide or the manufactures web site for help with that...

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Lastly if the office public IP is dynamically assigned by the ISP you might look at using a free
service like No-IP.com to map a fully qualified domain name to the DHCP assigned IP address. Look at
this small page for help with that and other hints, tips...

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)