Remote Desktop / 2003 via VPN freezes and drops.

winston

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002

Hoping some one has seen this behavior before and has an idea where to
even start troubleshooting something like this.

I have a 2003 Server with TS enabled but no cals other than defaults.
VPN ports open on the firewall. SBC Yahoo DSL provides inter here. An
internal domain member (XP Pro SP1), accepting RD connections. From
HOME, on TW Cable ISP, another XP Pro box logs into the office server
on the VPN. Fires up RD to connect to that internal XP box at the
office.

After the server was freshly installed this setup worked beautifully.
That for about 3 months. I have not changed anything that I know of
but it has been slowly degrading itself. After a few hours of work
from home, the home machine starts seeing a black screen that is
frozen. 5mins later it comes back. Some times not at all. Sometimes
there are two flashing monitors in the upper right corner while it's
frozen but not always. Some times just drops the connection without
warning. Sometimes goes for days without any signs of problems working
perfectly just like it did at first.

Trying to take the internal XP Pro client out of the picture,
sometimes I RD straight into the 2003 server console and after 5mins
of working it just kicks me out. RD just dies. Some other times I can
work remotely on the server for hours at a time without any problems.

How do you even start troubleshooting something as inconsistent as
this?

thanks,

For the black screen issue, see
http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/ts/blackhole.htm
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On 19 Nov 2004 13:34:56 -0800, ojedawinston@yahoo.com (Winston) wrote:

>Hoping some one has seen this behavior before and has an idea where to
>even start troubleshooting something like this.
>
>I have a 2003 Server with TS enabled but no cals other than defaults.
>VPN ports open on the firewall. SBC Yahoo DSL provides inter here. An
>internal domain member (XP Pro SP1), accepting RD connections. From
>HOME, on TW Cable ISP, another XP Pro box logs into the office server
>on the VPN. Fires up RD to connect to that internal XP box at the
>office.
>
>After the server was freshly installed this setup worked beautifully.
>That for about 3 months. I have not changed anything that I know of
>but it has been slowly degrading itself. After a few hours of work
>from home, the home machine starts seeing a black screen that is
>frozen. 5mins later it comes back. Some times not at all. Sometimes
>there are two flashing monitors in the upper right corner while it's
>frozen but not always. Some times just drops the connection without
>warning. Sometimes goes for days without any signs of problems working
>perfectly just like it did at first.
>
>Trying to take the internal XP Pro client out of the picture,
>sometimes I RD straight into the 2003 server console and after 5mins
>of working it just kicks me out. RD just dies. Some other times I can
>work remotely on the server for hours at a time without any problems.
>
>How do you even start troubleshooting something as inconsistent as
>this?
>
>thanks,

winston

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002

Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote:
> For the black screen issue, see
> http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/ts/blackhole.htm
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

> Windows Network Technology Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
> Windows Home Networking Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
>
> On 19 Nov 2004 13:34:56 -0800, ojedawinston@yahoo.com (Winston) wrote:
>

>>Hoping some one has seen this behavior before and has an idea where to
>>even start troubleshooting something like this.
>>
>>I have a 2003 Server with TS enabled but no cals other than defaults.
>>VPN ports open on the firewall. SBC Yahoo DSL provides inter here. An
>>internal domain member (XP Pro SP1), accepting RD connections. From
>>HOME, on TW Cable ISP, another XP Pro box logs into the office server
>>on the VPN. Fires up RD to connect to that internal XP box at the
>>office.
>>
>>After the server was freshly installed this setup worked beautifully.
>>That for about 3 months. I have not changed anything that I know of
>>but it has been slowly degrading itself. After a few hours of work
>
>>from home, the home machine starts seeing a black screen that is
>
>>frozen. 5mins later it comes back. Some times not at all. Sometimes
>>there are two flashing monitors in the upper right corner while it's
>>frozen but not always. Some times just drops the connection without
>>warning. Sometimes goes for days without any signs of problems working
>>perfectly just like it did at first.
>>
>>Trying to take the internal XP Pro client out of the picture,
>>sometimes I RD straight into the 2003 server console and after 5mins
>>of working it just kicks me out. RD just dies. Some other times I can
>>work remotely on the server for hours at a time without any problems.
>>
>>How do you even start troubleshooting something as inconsistent as
>>this?
>>
>>thanks,

Thank you. I will try that.