Do I have to buy an HDTV?

I read/heard everything had to be done digitally by tv channels by
2006. Does that mean I have to buy an HDTV if I want to watch
television in 2006? Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about hdtv

    john_20_28_2...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I read/heard everything had to be done digitally by tv channels by
    > 2006. Does that mean I have to buy an HDTV if I want to watch
    > television in 2006? Thanks.
    No you do not have to buy a HDTV set.
    Dunno where you are, but likely all you need a digital receiver box.
    Connect your old TV to it.

    john_20_28_2000@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I read/heard everything had to be done digitally by tv channels by
    > 2006. Does that mean I have to buy an HDTV if I want to watch
    > television in 2006? Thanks.

    It's DTV (Digital Televison) that the FCC has mandated. Check out
    http://www.dtv.gov/ for more info.
    HDTV is another (completely different) animal.
    Having said that, a number of stations are broadcasting some of their
    programming, especially sports and prime time shows, in HDTV. If you see a
    good deal on a set, go for it.

    Mike

    > I read/heard everything had to be done digitally by tv channels by
    > 2006. Does that mean I have to buy an HDTV if I want to watch
    > television in 2006? Thanks.

    No. First of all, there will be a long transition period before analog is
    switched off completely, and HDTV decoders will be able to downsample for
    display on a regular TV.

Tuner Cards TV HDTV Graphics