Help! Bizarre problem viewing AVI files encoded with Xvid

Here's the scenario: I've downloaded a number of AVI files from
Limewire that I cannot view. They're all copies of the HBO series
Carnivale, and all are of the 2nd season's first episode. For some
reason, people started uploading in a bizarre format I've never seen
before...the filenames all contained jibberish like
HDTV-LOL.xvid.loki.pyro.blahblahblah.
When I tried to view them in windows media player 9 (I'm using
win2k so I can't use WMP 10), all I saw was an extremely garbled view
of my desktop in the media player window! The player also listed the
length of each file as 0 minutes and 0 seconds. The file sizes are
anywhere from 222MB to 350MB.
I did a little research, updated my Divx drivers, installed the
xvid codec, succesfully played the xvid test movie, and tried again.
Same result...a garbled partial screen capture of my desktop popped up
in my WMP screen. The Divx player would not play the file either...it
popped up a message saying that this is a different format and I would
probably need to download a different codec to view it (which I have
already done).
I tried installing ffdshow. The view in my WMP window changed
from my desktop to blank. The player still listed a file length of 0
minutes and 0 seconds and would not play. FFDshow got uninstalled.
After uninstallation the player went back to showing me my butchered
desktop view.
My last effort was to install the GSpot codec finder. I loaded
all of the AVI files into it and GSpot told me the same thing each
time: The files are valid and playable, and I have all of the codecs
needed to play the AVIs properly. And yet, I can't get them to play.
Has anybody out there heard of something like this happening to
somebody else?? Does anybody have troubleshooting tips I should try
out? Help!

And before they trimmed the forums on Suprnova the "fake/virus files"
section had a LOT of complaints about LOKI torrents. I'd find another
source for your downloads.
Here's a pretty good list.
http://www.silentdragz.net/suprfaq/

Well, only one had .loki mentioned in the filename. One other had
..PyRo, I think another was called [TV-RIP], and the other filename
looked rather normal. I'm not even sure what this torrent business is
all about. Unfortunately I wouldn't know where else to go to download
Carnivale eposides. :(

I'm using Koepi's xvid codec...it seemed to be the most reputable one.
Was I mistaken? Is there another xvid codec out there with a better
track record of compatability with newer encoding formats?

> Here's the scenario: I've downloaded a number of AVI files from
> Limewire that I cannot view. They're all copies of the HBO series
> Carnivale, and all are of the 2nd season's first episode. For some
> reason, people started uploading in a bizarre format I've never seen
> before...the filenames all contained jibberish like
> HDTV-LOL.xvid.loki.pyro.blahblahblah.

There seems to be a lot of that going around lately. Maybe there's a smelly
version of XVID being used by a lot of the groups out there. I haven't had
the problem myself, so I can't recommend a fix, but I know at least 2 or 3
people who had similar problems, as well as a couple of people with
DIVX/XVID DVD players that choked on the latest encodes of various series,
so at least you're not alone :)

> I'm using Koepi's xvid codec...it seemed to be the most reputable one.
> Was I mistaken? Is there another xvid codec out there with a better
> track record of compatability with newer encoding formats?

One of the people I knew who had similar problems uninstalled all his audio
and video codecs and went for clean installs of the latest versions. That
seemed to do the trick, so that would suggest a codec conflict of some sort.
It might be worth a try.