minidv to vhs? How bad is the quality loss?

Well, after shopping around for a minidv camera I seem to have run into a
problem I didn't know existed. Apparently, as many of you pros probably
know, going from 500+ resolution minidv to 240 resolution vhs causes big
picture quality problems.

What I'd like to know are how big? Since going from minidv to vhs will be my
main storage medium (since those who I'm making copies for don't have dvd
players) how bad will the quality be on vhs? Does anyone have demo pictures
that would show a side by side comparison of minidv video then what it looks
like once transfered to vhs?

Like I said, I didn't know this was a problem until I started going through
camcorderinfo.com and reading some posts there.

Thanks

"atarileaf" wrote ...
> Well, after shopping around for a minidv camera I seem to have run
> into a
> problem I didn't know existed. Apparently, as many of you pros
> probably
> know, going from 500+ resolution minidv to 240 resolution vhs causes
> big
> picture quality problems.
>
> What I'd like to know are how big?

Around 48% by your numbers.

But seriously, it can't look any better than VHS regardless of
how pristine the source is or what tape format you used.

Let me ask a secondary question to this:

What would minidv to vhs look like compared to VHS-C (which my old camcorder
is) to VHS? Because of the drastic change in resolution, would minidv
actually look worse, the same, or better, then compact vhs to a vcr?

cheers
atarileaf

"atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Well, after shopping around for a minidv camera I seem to have run into a
> problem I didn't know existed. Apparently, as many of you pros probably
> know, going from 500+ resolution minidv to 240 resolution vhs causes big
> picture quality problems.
>
> What I'd like to know are how big? Since going from minidv to vhs will be
my
> main storage medium (since those who I'm making copies for don't have dvd
> players) how bad will the quality be on vhs? Does anyone have demo
pictures
> that would show a side by side comparison of minidv video then what it
looks
> like once transfered to vhs?
>
> Like I said, I didn't know this was a problem until I started going
through
> camcorderinfo.com and reading some posts there.
>
> Thanks

"atarileaf" wrote ...
> Let me ask a secondary question to this:
>
> What would minidv to vhs look like compared to VHS-C
> (which my old camcorder is) to VHS? Because of the drastic
> change in resolution, would minidv actually look worse, the
> same, or better, then compact vhs to a vcr?

I would expect it to look better as DV is significantly higher
quality. That puts most of the loss in the VHS portion of the
equation. Using two VHS generations will almost cerainly
yield lower quality than a DV generation and a VHS one.

In article <pWXGd.98$vr4.93@read1.cgocable.net>,
"atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> writes:
> Well, after shopping around for a minidv camera I seem to have run into a
> problem I didn't know existed. Apparently, as many of you pros probably
> know, going from 500+ resolution minidv to 240 resolution vhs causes big
> picture quality problems.

Well, MiniDV can come close to SDTV 480i video quality (not quite
as high quality as the best 480, but very good.) VHS has about 1/2
of the horizontal resolution and LOTS more video noise, and provides
alot less stable (noisy) color.

If you start with MiniDV and record onto VHS, you'll come close to
maximum VHS quality which is significantly worse than MiniDV. Actually,
there are a few impairments caused by MiniDV which can be apparent
on VHS, but the various VHS impairments are much more significant. (The
stairstepping that can happen on MiniDV will transparently be recorded
and played back by VHS decks.)

In the best case, VHS will tend to have alot less detailed color, significantly
more noisy edges, and alot of missing detail when compared with MiniDV
and even broadcast NTSC.

John

Except for SVHS at SP, which (given a D1 quality signal) is very hard to tell
from DVD...if not impossible.

Furthermore, some people find digital image artifacts and dropouts much more
visible and distracting than SVHS's analog artifacts and dropouts.

>In article <pWXGd.98$vr4.93@read1.cgocable.net>,
> "atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> writes:
>> Well, after shopping around for a minidv camera I seem to have run into a
>> problem I didn't know existed. Apparently, as many of you pros probably
>> know, going from 500+ resolution minidv to 240 resolution vhs causes big
>> picture quality problems.
>>
>Well, MiniDV can come close to SDTV 480i video quality (not quite
>as high quality as the best 480, but very good.) VHS has about 1/2
>of the horizontal resolution and LOTS more video noise, and provides
>alot less stable (noisy) color.
>
>If you start with MiniDV and record onto VHS, you'll come close to
>maximum VHS quality which is significantly worse than MiniDV. Actually,
>there are a few impairments caused by MiniDV which can be apparent
>on VHS, but the various VHS impairments are much more significant. (The
>stairstepping that can happen on MiniDV will transparently be recorded
>and played back by VHS decks.)
>
>In the best case, VHS will tend to have alot less detailed color,
>significantly
>more noisy edges, and alot of missing detail when compared with MiniDV
>and even broadcast NTSC.
>
>John

webpa

"David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
> See the nice comparison pictures already posted here:
> http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/copy/copy.html
>
> DV vs SVHS vs. VHS vs VCD

I agree that Bealecorner is a good source of information. However, there
is nothing more valuable than to see/evaluate the qualitative and moving
video effects of the various kinds of noise (e.g. the chroma noise of
SVHS.) Actually, recent SVHS decks can do a very good job of 3D
filtering some of the chroma noise, but provide NOWHERE near the
noise performance of DV25/DV50 or MPEG2 (or miniDV.)

John