Backing up to DVD-RW (video) or DVD-RW (VR) format using a..

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.players,alt.video.dvd (More info?)

This is a similar post, except I forgot to say that I am using a DVD
Recorder.

I'm trying to decide on what format to use when I backup my video from
my camcorder to DVD-RW disk using a DVD recorder.
If I record in the VR format then I can only play the video on my DVD
recorder but I do get extra editing functions.
If I record in DVD-RW (video) format I can play the video on another
recorder once I've finalized the DVD but I loose the extra editing
functions.

What format (vr or video) do other people perter to use when backing
up video from TV or camcorder to dvd-rw disc using a DVD Recorder?

Regards Brian

You are suffereing from a false dilema. You can play any disk from a
stand-alone DVD-VR recorder on any DVD player capable of playing -R/RW or +R/RW
disks...provided you finalize the disk in the stand-along recorder when you've
finished recording on it. The "-VR" appelation is irrelevant...since the
VIDEO_VR folder contains only information about continuing recording on that
disk (if it isn't "finalized.") A stand-alone player ignores all this.

>This is a similar post, except I forgot to say that I am using a DVD
>Recorder.
>
>I'm trying to decide on what format to use when I backup my video from
>my camcorder to DVD-RW disk using a DVD recorder.
>If I record in the VR format then I can only play the video on my DVD
>recorder but I do get extra editing functions.
>If I record in DVD-RW (video) format I can play the video on another
>recorder once I've finalized the DVD but I loose the extra editing
>functions.
>
>What format (vr or video) do other people perter to use when backing
>up video from TV or camcorder to dvd-rw disc using a DVD Recorder?
>
>Regards Brian

webpa

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

webpa@aol.com (WEBPA) wrote:

>You are suffereing from a false dilema. You can play any disk from a
>stand-alone DVD-VR recorder on any DVD player capable of playing -R/RW or +R/RW
>disks...provided you finalize the disk in the stand-along recorder when you've
>finished recording on it. The "-VR" appelation is irrelevant...since the
>VIDEO_VR folder contains only information about continuing recording on that
>disk (if it isn't "finalized.") A stand-alone player ignores all this.
>
>>This is a similar post, except I forgot to say that I am using a DVD
>>Recorder.
>>
>>I'm trying to decide on what format to use when I backup my video from
>>my camcorder to DVD-RW disk using a DVD recorder.
>>If I record in the VR format then I can only play the video on my DVD
>>recorder but I do get extra editing functions.
>>If I record in DVD-RW (video) format I can play the video on another
>>recorder once I've finalized the DVD but I loose the extra editing
>>functions.
>>
>>What format (vr or video) do other people perter to use when backing
>>up video from TV or camcorder to dvd-rw disc using a DVD Recorder?
>>
>>Regards Brian
>>

>webpa

I tried finalizing a VR format disc and tried to view it on my DVD
player's both of them rejected the disc. The DVD players were Sony and
Mustek which are a few years old. It looks like what you say webpa
applies more to the recent DVD players on the market.

Regards Brian

brian

Again: The problem is with your DVD players, not with the disk itself. Any DVD
player costing you more the US$100 and more than 18 months old should be
discarded. The best DVD player I have cost me US$38. It plays everything ...
except vanilla wafers (I just haven't got around to trying them yet).

My stand alone DVD recorder (LiteOn 5005) records ALL media (+/- R/RW) as VR
media, whether I finalize them or not. And they will all play on all my players
after they are finalized. Realize that you can finalize a disk after it is
removed from the machine (if it needs it) after you have finished using the VR
features.

>I tried finalizing a VR format disc and tried to view it on my DVD
>player's both of them rejected the disc. The DVD players were Sony and
>Mustek which are a few years old. It looks like what you say webpa
>applies more to the recent DVD players on the market.
>
>Regards Brian

webpa