remote control home computer from office

Can i use Windows remote control service to control my computer at home when
i am in office ( both 2 computer are not in the network, but they are
connected to internet).

if yes, may i know how to do?
3 answers Last reply
More about remote control home computer office

    Hi JK

    well firstly, do you have a static IP address at home, secondly you will
    need to specify the type of firewall you have at home to determine what
    configuration is required. you need a static IP address either side.

    "JK" wrote:

    > Can i use Windows remote control service to control my computer at home when
    > i am in office ( both 2 computer are not in the network, but they are
    > connected to internet).
    >
    > if yes, may i know how to do?

    Look at using Remote Desktop if the PC at home is running XP Pro...

    If the PC is running XP Home look at using UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in...

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

    If you use UltraVNC through a firewall/NAT/router at the home end then you need TCP Port 5900
    open...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "JK" <JK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can i use Windows remote control service to control my computer at home when
    > i am in office ( both 2 computer are not in the network, but they are
    > connected to internet).
    >
    > if yes, may i know how to do?

    You will need to open an incoming port on your modem firewall. Microsoft's
    RDP uses port 3389 for ll traffic. Make sure it allows TCP and (if possible
    in your firewall) UDP traffic into your home PC.

    If your modem firewall has a router built in, you will need to assign a
    local static IP address for your home PC in your router's settings. On your
    modem, you will then forward all incoming traffic on port 3389 to port 3389
    on the incoming computer's local IP address.

    If you have a firewall on your PC, in addition to one on your modem/router
    (like the firewall included in service pack 2 for XP), you will need to
    disable it or open up port 3389 for incoming TCP/UDP traffic.

    The static IP on your local network (set in your router/modem) is different
    from a static IP on the internet - which is how you can find your PC online
    when you are at work.

    If you don;t have a static IP through your ISP, don't worry. You don't need
    a static IP on the internet for your home PC. Just go to www.no-ip.info and
    sign up for their free IP service. You will need to load a client on your
    home PC, but you will then be able to log into your home PC's remote desktop
    functions by specifying YourPCsName.no-ip.info instead of an IP address in
    the logon screen for Remote Desktop.

    I do this every day, and it works great.

    Jim Hubbard

    "Gerry" <Gerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi JK
    >
    > well firstly, do you have a static IP address at home, secondly you will
    > need to specify the type of firewall you have at home to determine what
    > configuration is required. you need a static IP address either side.
    >

    > "JK" wrote:
    >
    >> Can i use Windows remote control service to control my computer at home
    >> when
    >> i am in office ( both 2 computer are not in the network, but they are
    >> connected to internet).
    >>
    >> if yes, may i know how to do?

Computers Microsoft Office Windows XP