I am fairly new to using the remote desktop connection. I was able to set
it up successfully on my home network, but not sure what I need to set up to
access across the internet. Here is what I have.

Belkin Wireless Router
Wireless Router IP: x.x.xx.x
Home Computer IP: y.y.yy.y

(Let me know if you need any other info). Also I have a dynamic IP. Is
this possible over the web.

thanks for your advice in advance.

T Martin

T Martin wrote:
> I am fairly new to using the remote desktop connection. I was able
> to set it up successfully on my home network, but not sure what I
> need to set up to access across the internet. Here is what I have.
>
> Belkin Wireless Router
> Wireless Router IP: x.x.xx.x
> Home Computer IP: y.y.yy.y
>
> (Let me know if you need any other info). Also I have a dynamic IP.
> Is this possible over the web.

Yes. Open up port 3389 inbound to y.y.y.y in your router/firewall from the
Internet. Make y.y.y.y a static IP, not a dynamic one, so it never changes.

You can use a dynamic DNS service like www.dyndns.org (and check out
DirectUpdate) so you don't have to find out what your current public IP
address is - just use me.dyndns.org (eg) in your remote desktop client.

> thanks for your advice in advance.
>
> T Martin

Also see this page for help...

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"T Martin" <mahtin9702@charter.net> wrote in message news:ndIpd.3674$gr1.69@fe03.lga...
>I am fairly new to using the remote desktop connection. I was able to set
> it up successfully on my home network, but not sure what I need to set up to
> access across the internet. Here is what I have.
>
> Belkin Wireless Router
> Wireless Router IP: x.x.xx.x
> Home Computer IP: y.y.yy.y
>
> (Let me know if you need any other info). Also I have a dynamic IP. Is
> this possible over the web.
>
> thanks for your advice in advance.
>
> T Martin

Thanks for your help. It worked great.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> T Martin wrote:
> > I am fairly new to using the remote desktop connection. I was able
> > to set it up successfully on my home network, but not sure what I
> > need to set up to access across the internet. Here is what I have.
> >
> > Belkin Wireless Router
> > Wireless Router IP: x.x.xx.x
> > Home Computer IP: y.y.yy.y
> >
> > (Let me know if you need any other info). Also I have a dynamic IP.
> > Is this possible over the web.
>
> Yes. Open up port 3389 inbound to y.y.y.y in your router/firewall from the
> Internet. Make y.y.y.y a static IP, not a dynamic one, so it never
changes.

> You can use a dynamic DNS service like www.dyndns.org (and check out
> DirectUpdate) so you don't have to find out what your current public IP
> address is - just use me.dyndns.org (eg) in your remote desktop client.
> >
> > thanks for your advice in advance.
> >
> > T Martin

Thanks for the info. It worked great.