Remote Desktop Beginner

I am fairly new to using the remote desktop connection. I was able to set
it up successfully on my home network, but not sure what I need to set up to
access across the internet. Here is what I have.

Belkin Wireless Router
Wireless Router IP: x.x.xx.x
Home Computer IP: y.y.yy.y

(Let me know if you need any other info). Also I have a dynamic IP. Is
this possible over the web.

thanks for your advice in advance.

T Martin
4 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop beginner

    T Martin wrote:
    > I am fairly new to using the remote desktop connection. I was able
    > to set it up successfully on my home network, but not sure what I
    > need to set up to access across the internet. Here is what I have.
    >
    > Belkin Wireless Router
    > Wireless Router IP: x.x.xx.x
    > Home Computer IP: y.y.yy.y
    >
    > (Let me know if you need any other info). Also I have a dynamic IP.
    > Is this possible over the web.

    Yes. Open up port 3389 inbound to y.y.y.y in your router/firewall from the
    Internet. Make y.y.y.y a static IP, not a dynamic one, so it never changes.

    You can use a dynamic DNS service like www.dyndns.org (and check out
    DirectUpdate) so you don't have to find out what your current public IP
    address is - just use me.dyndns.org (eg) in your remote desktop client.

    > thanks for your advice in advance.
    >
    > T Martin

    Also see this page for help...

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "T Martin" <mahtin9702@charter.net> wrote in message news:ndIpd.3674$gr1.69@fe03.lga...
    >I am fairly new to using the remote desktop connection. I was able to set
    > it up successfully on my home network, but not sure what I need to set up to
    > access across the internet. Here is what I have.
    >
    > Belkin Wireless Router
    > Wireless Router IP: x.x.xx.x
    > Home Computer IP: y.y.yy.y
    >
    > (Let me know if you need any other info). Also I have a dynamic IP. Is
    > this possible over the web.
    >
    > thanks for your advice in advance.
    >
    > T Martin

    Thanks for your help. It worked great.

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > T Martin wrote:
    > > I am fairly new to using the remote desktop connection. I was able
    > > to set it up successfully on my home network, but not sure what I
    > > need to set up to access across the internet. Here is what I have.
    > >
    > > Belkin Wireless Router
    > > Wireless Router IP: x.x.xx.x
    > > Home Computer IP: y.y.yy.y
    > >
    > > (Let me know if you need any other info). Also I have a dynamic IP.
    > > Is this possible over the web.
    >
    > Yes. Open up port 3389 inbound to y.y.y.y in your router/firewall from the
    > Internet. Make y.y.y.y a static IP, not a dynamic one, so it never
    changes.

    > You can use a dynamic DNS service like www.dyndns.org (and check out
    > DirectUpdate) so you don't have to find out what your current public IP
    > address is - just use me.dyndns.org (eg) in your remote desktop client.
    > >
    > > thanks for your advice in advance.
    > >
    > > T Martin

    Thanks for the info. It worked great.

    > Also see this page for help...

    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "T Martin" <mahtin9702@charter.net> wrote in message
    > >I am fairly new to using the remote desktop connection. I was able to
    set
    > > it up successfully on my home network, but not sure what I need to set
    up to
    > > access across the internet. Here is what I have.
    > >
    > > Belkin Wireless Router
    > > Wireless Router IP: x.x.xx.x
    > > Home Computer IP: y.y.yy.y
    > >
    > > (Let me know if you need any other info). Also I have a dynamic IP. Is
    > > this possible over the web.
    > >
    > > thanks for your advice in advance.
    > >
    > > T Martin

Remote Desktop IP Windows XP