Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a large number of Hi-8 tapes recorded on an analog recorder (Canon
L1) and I want to transfer them to digital. I was told that a digital Hi-8
camcorder will read the analog tapes and send a digital signal out on the
firewire. I'm hoping that is correct so that I could then capture the
digital output rather than capture the analog on my PC. Can anyone confirm?

"Larry" <islarry@shaw.ca> wrote in

> I have a large number of Hi-8 tapes recorded on an analog recorder
> (Canon L1) and I want to transfer them to digital. I was told
> that a digital Hi-8 camcorder will read the analog tapes and send
> a digital signal out on the firewire. I'm hoping that is correct
> so that I could then capture the digital output rather than
> capture the analog on my PC. Can anyone confirm?

Some do, some don't, so you need to check the specs of your camera - or
choose the one you buy or borrow based on that.

I think the number of Digital-8 camcorders that do it is diminishing
these days.

There are also devices that will accept an analog signal and convert it
to digital. Some such devices are made by Canopus and Pinnacle (IIRC),
and many miniDV camcorders can act this way. I've had good success
useing a miniDV camcorder in this fashion.

Other regular posters on this NG know much more than I do about this.

Good luck,
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

If you don't have access to a digital8 camcorder, I'd stay away from
them - it's a declining format, not many companies are producing them.
I had good success using anaglog->digital passthru with my Canon ZR50
MiniDV camcorder. Hook up the Hi-8 to the DV camera using S-video, put
the DV camera in passthu mode, and you're all set.

I actually borrowed my friend's Digital8 Sony camcorder and
experimented to see if there was any difference in quality between that
and the approach above - I really couldn't see any significant quality
difference. The images were not identical (color and contrast
differences), but both were equally pleasing.

So if you're in the market for a digital camcorder, I'd definitely go
the miniDV route (ensure that the camera you pick has AV->DV passthru -
you dont want to have to record to miniDV tapes and then play them
back).

"Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> schreef in bericht
> "Larry" <islarry@shaw.ca> wrote in
>
>> I have a large number of Hi-8 tapes recorded on an analog recorder
>> (Canon L1) and I want to transfer them to digital. I was told
>> that a digital Hi-8 camcorder will read the analog tapes and send
>> a digital signal out on the firewire. I'm hoping that is correct
>> so that I could then capture the digital output rather than
>> capture the analog on my PC. Can anyone confirm?
>>

> Some do, some don't, so you need to check the specs of your camera - or
> choose the one you buy or borrow based on that.
>
> I think the number of Digital-8 camcorders that do it is diminishing
> these days.
>
> There are also devices that will accept an analog signal and convert it
> to digital. Some such devices are made by Canopus and Pinnacle (IIRC),
> and many miniDV camcorders can act this way. I've had good success
> useing a miniDV camcorder in this fashion.

Larry,

I do use one of these A/D converters made by Canopus (ADVC-55, a small,
external unit) to convert Hi8 to DV and the results are excellent. Using one
of these has the advantage that you don't need to limit yourself to the
choice of a new DV camera with analog-in (or eventually a Digital-8 camera).
You can find all specs on the Internet (http://www.canopus.com/Index.asp).
--
Lou van Wijhe
Website: http://home.hccnet.nl/jl.van.wijhe/

>>that a digital Hi-8 camcorder will read the analog tapes and send
>>a digital signal out on the firewire. I'm hoping that is correct

I think you mean Digital8 format camcorders. If so, then yes, most
of the ones made by Sony that have a firewire port will auto-convert the
Hi-8 tapes to DV format for export to the PC for editing.

Very convenient, and you can get a used Digital8 camcorder dirt-cheap
on www.ebay.com for this task. (then sell it for the same price later
when you're done; and/or keep it for use with the 8mm tapes you still have)

On 20 Jan 2005 04:21:13 -0800, "stankley" <pstankley@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>If you don't have access to a digital8 camcorder, I'd stay away from
>them - it's a declining format, not many companies are producing them.
>I had good success using anaglog->digital passthru with my Canon ZR50
>MiniDV camcorder. Hook up the Hi-8 to the DV camera using S-video, put
>the DV camera in passthu mode, and you're all set.

Digital 8 is Sony tech. Only Sony associates ever made them
(Hitachi and Sanyo, AFAIK). It isn't declining so much as that there
never were that many around. Sony *has* dropped its highest grade
models, though. But then, it is targetting D8 at the economy minded
consumer, especially users of its Hi8 format who wish to continue to
use their tapes. The camcorders tend to be a little cheaper than a
comparable MiniDV model.

Being able to reuse your Hi8 tape collection is a benefit of D8.
The tapes themselves are slightly more durable than MiniDV, and
slightly cheaper. It isn't enough of a reason to go for D8 rather
than MiniDV itself, if you don't plan to reuse your stocks of Hi8
tape.

If you just plan to convert a lot of tapes to digital, with no
worries about what to do with the tapes afterward, then either borrow
a D8 from someone for the conversion, or use either a camcorder or
converter box to do the job using your Hi8 camcorder.

>I actually borrowed my friend's Digital8 Sony camcorder and
>experimented to see if there was any difference in quality between that
>and the approach above - I really couldn't see any significant quality
>difference. The images were not identical (color and contrast
>differences), but both were equally pleasing.

In theory, the D8 should work a little better because its TBC can
work with the raw video signal off the tape. It might also be a
little better at dealing with dropouts.

But as for the process, there isn't much difference between pressing
play on the D8 camcorder, or doing so on your Hi8 passing through into
a digitizer. The work to manage it is the same either way.

Jeffery S. Jones wrote:

> But as for the process, there isn't much difference between
pressing
> play on the D8 camcorder, or doing so on your Hi8 passing through
into
> a digitizer. The work to manage it is the same either way.

Not entirely true, Jeffery. If you use a D8 camera, then the capture
software can control the tape transport (pause, rewind, stop,...). Not
so if you're using the Hi8->digitizer route. This is not a big deal if
you just hit play and capture long sequences as single AVIs, but if you
want to extract certain scenes at capture time, it is more cumbersome.

I've never tried it, but I believe Scenalyzer does scene detection and
chops up your video into scene-sized AVIs. That could be the answer to
this concern.