Any way to make MDB's available offline?

Any .MDB or similar database files fail to replicate to an offline system
(give Warnings during synchronization). Why is this? If they are not
currently in use, why don't they replicate, the same as other files?

More importantly, what's the work-around? I have a database stored on my
desktop, but I almost always access it from my laptop via Wi-Fi over the
network, and I'd like to be able to keep working on it as an offline file
when I leave my home network. How can/should I do this?

Thanks,
Colin

Colin Higbie wrote:
> Any .MDB or similar database files fail to replicate to an offline
> system (give Warnings during synchronization). Why is this? If they
> are not currently in use, why don't they replicate, the same as other
> files?

It's by design - database files are generally used by more than one user on
a network.

> More importantly, what's the work-around? I have a database stored on
> my desktop, but I almost always access it from my laptop via Wi-Fi
> over the network, and I'd like to be able to keep working on it as an
> offline file when I leave my home network. How can/should I do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Colin

See if http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=252509 helps.
Personally, I don't like Offline Files - I use SecondCopy 2000 from
www.centered.com and have been a lot happier with it.

Does SecondCopy 2000 support database files?

Thanks,
Colin

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Colin Higbie wrote:
> Does SecondCopy 2000 support database files?
>
> Thanks,
> Colin

Any file that isn't in use. Check out their website. They have a free 30 day
fully-functional eval, last I checked.

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:%239ml2oJ1EHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Colin Higbie wrote:
>>> Any .MDB or similar database files fail to replicate to an offline
>>> system (give Warnings during synchronization). Why is this? If they
>>> are not currently in use, why don't they replicate, the same as
>>> other files?
>>
>> It's by design - database files are generally used by more than one
>> user on
>> a network.
>>>
>>> More importantly, what's the work-around? I have a database stored
>>> on my desktop, but I almost always access it from my laptop via
>>> Wi-Fi over the network, and I'd like to be able to keep working on
>>> it as an offline file when I leave my home network. How can/should
>>> I do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Colin
>>
>> See if http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=252509 helps.
>> Personally, I don't like Offline Files - I use SecondCopy 2000 from
>> www.centered.com and have been a lot happier with it.

Yes, but it doesn't support mapping as a network drive for offline
use...
:(

---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote:
> Yes, but it doesn't support mapping as a network drive for offline
> use...
> :(

Right. Why would you need that? On a laptop, point My Documents at a local
folder. The user never has to know the difference. It syncs with the UNC
path or mapped drive when on the network via any means - LAN, VPN, etc....

Using Offline Files with VPN/RAS can be unpleasant in my experience anyway -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q290523

> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

> Windows Network Technology Community -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
> Windows Home Networking Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
>
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:36:10 -0500, "Colin Higbie"
> <CHigbie@nospamxxxAptagen.com> wrote:
>
>> Does SecondCopy 2000 support database files?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Colin
>>

>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>> message news:%239ml2oJ1EHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> It's by design - database files are generally used by more than one
>>> user on
>>> a network.

>>> See if http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=252509 helps.
>>> Personally, I don't like Offline Files - I use SecondCopy 2000 from
>>> www.centered.com and have been a lot happier with it.

For me, I have an application (AutoCAD vertical product) that is hard
pointed to a network drive... If I want to use it, I must have that
network drive available in some form and SUBST isn't an acceptable to
the application... (or I can have AutoCAD look for a UNC path
instead, which presents the same problem).

---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:17:39 -0500, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote:
> For me, I have an application (AutoCAD vertical product) that is hard
> pointed to a network drive... If I want to use it, I must have that
> network drive available in some form and SUBST isn't an acceptable to
> the application... (or I can have AutoCAD look for a UNC path
> instead, which presents the same problem).

Ouch. Yell at the developer. :)

> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

> Windows Network Technology Community -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
> Windows Home Networking Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
>
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:17:39 -0500, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote:
>>> Yes, but it doesn't support mapping as a network drive for offline
>>> use...
>>> :(
>>
>> Right. Why would you need that? On a laptop, point My Documents at a
>> local folder. The user never has to know the difference. It syncs
>> with the UNC path or mapped drive when on the network via any means
>> - LAN, VPN, etc....
>>
>> Using Offline Files with VPN/RAS can be unpleasant in my experience
>> anyway -
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q290523
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
>>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>>
>>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>>
>>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>>> Windows Network Technology Community -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
>>> Windows Home Networking Community -
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

That's a pretty common situation. Even MS Word 2003 does that for linked
objects. I have a Word file with a few dozen linked spreadsheet objects.
They are all in 2 Excel files in the same folder as the Word document, and
even so it doesn't use a relative folder name. It used c:\Documents and
Settings...

Of course, unless I make a point of lining up the drive letters and
pathnames, the Windows built-in synchronization also causes problems for
these kinds of files.

- Colin

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote:
>> For me, I have an application (AutoCAD vertical product) that is hard
>> pointed to a network drive... If I want to use it, I must have that
>> network drive available in some form and SUBST isn't an acceptable to
>> the application... (or I can have AutoCAD look for a UNC path
>> instead, which presents the same problem).
>
> Ouch. Yell at the developer. :)
>>
>> ---
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows Network Technology Community -
>>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
>> Windows Home Networking Community -
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
>>
>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:17:39 -0500, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Right. Why would you need that? On a laptop, point My Documents at a
>>> local folder. The user never has to know the difference. It syncs
>>> with the UNC path or mapped drive when on the network via any means
>>> - LAN, VPN, etc....
>>>
>>> Using Offline Files with VPN/RAS can be unpleasant in my experience
>>> anyway -
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q290523

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx

Actually, I like to yell at the CSC team to make Offline Files
better... :)
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 22:50:29 -0500, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote:
> Actually, I like to yell at the CSC team to make Offline Files
> better... :)

I've given up, honestly.