Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Change RDP Port in XP Firewall

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 7:22:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I need to do modify the firewall settings for RDP
to allow Port 3390, not 3389 in the Windows XP (SP2)
firewall. Can this be done?

I have already modified the registry in a remote PC to
allow access to port 3390 (the listening port), but it
appears that the built in firewall in XP with the
designated field for Remote Desktop has Port 3389 by
default, and the port cannot be modified.

If I add a NEW port to the firewall rule (RDP-3390) and
check it, the remote access attempt via RDP does not work.
If I turn off the firewall in XP, it works.

Port forwarding in a Linksys router is set to forward port
3390 to the machine in question (with a fixed IP of
192.168.1.100), the DHCP pool is outside the range of the
fixed IP's in the network, and all other relevant settings
are turned on in the XP box in question (as referenced,
questioned, replied to and verified in a previous post here).

What am I missing or what do I need to do (I do not want to
turn off the firewall)?

I am starting a new thread since it appears the old one has
died, either because it is nested deep inside the original
starting thread and as I have seen, if some 'readers' may
bypass replies, etc., depending on the habits of the end
user and the Newsgroup reader they are using, and also, as
it seems that nobody has answerd my last inquiries (or at
least attempted to contribute information to potentially
resolve the issues), I felt it might be prudent to start
all over again.

More about : change rdp port firewall

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 8:57:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I just tried this on my XP Pro SP2 test machine and it worked... I did the following...

1. Changed the listening port in the registry to 3390 and *REBOOTED* the machine.
2. Configured the Windows Firewall Exceptions to...

Disable the default Remote Desktop setting (made sure its *UNCHECKED*).
Added and Exception named RDP-3390, TCP Port 3390 (and made sure its *CHECKED*).

3. Successfully accessed the XP Pro SP2 machine using Remote Desktop from an XP Home SP2 machine
over my local LAN.

The first time I tried this I made a typo when I was configuring the Windows Firewall for the new
exception. I typed a port number of 339 versus the correct 3390. This resulted in a failure,
obviously what you would expect. Once I corrected that I successfully connected to the XP Pro box,
using the new port, from my XP Home box.

So...

A. Did you reboot the PC in question after making the listening port change?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306759

B. Did you verify, after rebooting, the PC is actually listening on TCP Port 3390. Use the "netstat
/a" command for that. See this page, near the end, for an example of the use of this command. Note
in the example the normal TCP Port 3389 is illustrated...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

C. Did you verify that the default selection for Remote Desktop, TCP Port 3389, is in fact UNCHECKED
in the Windows Firewall Exception configuration?
D. Did you verify the correct new port Exception was correctly configured in the Windows Firewall
Exception configuration?
E. Did you verify the new port is actually open by running the telnet test over your local LAN from
another local PC?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q187628

Use the syntax

telnet LAN_IP_Address 3390

If Step E works, then call the target PC from another local PC over the local LAN with Remote
Desktop using the syntax...

LAN_IP_Address:3390

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304304

If Step E does not work through the Windows Firewall and after verifying the settings then...

How did you install SP2, ie. from the Windows Update site or an ISO image that you downloaded from
MS? In my case I downloaded an ISO image, created a CD and installed SP2 on my two home XP machines
(one XP Pro and one XP Home).

Any other personal firewall software running on the PC that may be causing a problem?

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

"Guruuno" <guruuno@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:96b501c4d4e0$65901240$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>I need to do modify the firewall settings for RDP
> to allow Port 3390, not 3389 in the Windows XP (SP2)
> firewall. Can this be done?
>
> I have already modified the registry in a remote PC to
> allow access to port 3390 (the listening port), but it
> appears that the built in firewall in XP with the
> designated field for Remote Desktop has Port 3389 by
> default, and the port cannot be modified.
>
> If I add a NEW port to the firewall rule (RDP-3390) and
> check it, the remote access attempt via RDP does not work.
> If I turn off the firewall in XP, it works.
>
> Port forwarding in a Linksys router is set to forward port
> 3390 to the machine in question (with a fixed IP of
> 192.168.1.100), the DHCP pool is outside the range of the
> fixed IP's in the network, and all other relevant settings
> are turned on in the XP box in question (as referenced,
> questioned, replied to and verified in a previous post here).
>
> What am I missing or what do I need to do (I do not want to
> turn off the firewall)?
>
> I am starting a new thread since it appears the old one has
> died, either because it is nested deep inside the original
> starting thread and as I have seen, if some 'readers' may
> bypass replies, etc., depending on the habits of the end
> user and the Newsgroup reader they are using, and also, as
> it seems that nobody has answerd my last inquiries (or at
> least attempted to contribute information to potentially
> resolve the issues), I felt it might be prudent to start
> all over again.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 9:15:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Well, that makes two of us that did that bit of homework!
(yeah--it all worked as expected for me, too--with one minor exception:

mstsc 192.168.1.28:3390 <enter> failed, whereas mstsc <enter>
192.168.1.28:3390 <enter> worked properly. This is probably a bug.)


"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:unCT3FU1EHA.936@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I just tried this on my XP Pro SP2 test machine and it worked... I did the
>following...
>
> 1. Changed the listening port in the registry to 3390 and *REBOOTED* the
> machine.
> 2. Configured the Windows Firewall Exceptions to...
>
> Disable the default Remote Desktop setting (made sure its *UNCHECKED*).
> Added and Exception named RDP-3390, TCP Port 3390 (and made sure its
> *CHECKED*).
>
> 3. Successfully accessed the XP Pro SP2 machine using Remote Desktop from
> an XP Home SP2 machine over my local LAN.
>
> The first time I tried this I made a typo when I was configuring the
> Windows Firewall for the new exception. I typed a port number of 339
> versus the correct 3390. This resulted in a failure, obviously what you
> would expect. Once I corrected that I successfully connected to the XP Pro
> box, using the new port, from my XP Home box.
>
> So...
>
> A. Did you reboot the PC in question after making the listening port
> change?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306759
>
> B. Did you verify, after rebooting, the PC is actually listening on TCP
> Port 3390. Use the "netstat /a" command for that. See this page, near the
> end, for an example of the use of this command. Note in the example the
> normal TCP Port 3389 is illustrated...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...
>
> C. Did you verify that the default selection for Remote Desktop, TCP Port
> 3389, is in fact UNCHECKED in the Windows Firewall Exception
> configuration?
> D. Did you verify the correct new port Exception was correctly configured
> in the Windows Firewall Exception configuration?
> E. Did you verify the new port is actually open by running the telnet test
> over your local LAN from another local PC?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q187628
>
> Use the syntax
>
> telnet LAN_IP_Address 3390
>
> If Step E works, then call the target PC from another local PC over the
> local LAN with Remote Desktop using the syntax...
>
> LAN_IP_Address:3390
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304304
>
> If Step E does not work through the Windows Firewall and after verifying
> the settings then...
>
> How did you install SP2, ie. from the Windows Update site or an ISO image
> that you downloaded from MS? In my case I downloaded an ISO image, created
> a CD and installed SP2 on my two home XP machines (one XP Pro and one XP
> Home).
>
> Any other personal firewall software running on the PC that may be causing
> a problem?
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
>
> "Guruuno" <guruuno@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:96b501c4d4e0$65901240$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>>I need to do modify the firewall settings for RDP
>> to allow Port 3390, not 3389 in the Windows XP (SP2)
>> firewall. Can this be done?
>>
>> I have already modified the registry in a remote PC to
>> allow access to port 3390 (the listening port), but it
>> appears that the built in firewall in XP with the
>> designated field for Remote Desktop has Port 3389 by
>> default, and the port cannot be modified.
>>
>> If I add a NEW port to the firewall rule (RDP-3390) and
>> check it, the remote access attempt via RDP does not work.
>> If I turn off the firewall in XP, it works.
>>
>> Port forwarding in a Linksys router is set to forward port
>> 3390 to the machine in question (with a fixed IP of
>> 192.168.1.100), the DHCP pool is outside the range of the
>> fixed IP's in the network, and all other relevant settings
>> are turned on in the XP box in question (as referenced,
>> questioned, replied to and verified in a previous post here).
>>
>> What am I missing or what do I need to do (I do not want to
>> turn off the firewall)?
>>
>> I am starting a new thread since it appears the old one has
>> died, either because it is nested deep inside the original
>> starting thread and as I have seen, if some 'readers' may
>> bypass replies, etc., depending on the habits of the end
>> user and the Newsgroup reader they are using, and also, as
>> it seems that nobody has answerd my last inquiries (or at
>> least attempted to contribute information to potentially
>> resolve the issues), I felt it might be prudent to start
>> all over again.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 2:29:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Bill Sanderson <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

> (yeah--it all worked as expected for me, too--with one minor
> exception:
> mstsc 192.168.1.28:3390 <enter> failed, whereas mstsc <enter>
> 192.168.1.28:3390 <enter> worked properly.

Try

mstsc /v:192.168.1.28:3390

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 2:29:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Yep - that works. It's been a long time since I looked at the parameter
list for that command--never needed it before--thanks.


"Robin Walker" <rdhw@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:cogb9i$1nn$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...
> Bill Sanderson <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>> (yeah--it all worked as expected for me, too--with one minor
>> exception:
>> mstsc 192.168.1.28:3390 <enter> failed, whereas mstsc <enter>
>> 192.168.1.28:3390 <enter> worked properly.
>
> Try
>
> mstsc /v:192.168.1.28:3390
>
> --
> Robin Walker
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk
>
!