can I use xp pro to to remote access win2k server

I know that remote desktop connection between xp pro. or xp pro and win2003.
Does win2k support it? I mean server part not client part or need third party
to intall to win2k?

Thanks in advance.

LL

Yes, works the same way.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

wld wrote:
> I know that remote desktop connection between xp pro. or xp pro and
> win2003. Does win2k support it? I mean server part not client part or
> need third party to intall to win2k?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> LL

Yes - you can install Terminal Services in admin mode on the Win2000
server - it will allow for two (three?) concurrent admin logins with no TS
licenses needed. Then use the RD client to connect to it.

You can't run terminal services/RD hosting on a Windows 2000 Pro
workstation, though. You'd need third party stuff like one of the VNC
variants.

Two sessions remotely and a console session that is NOT available via
TS/RD... :(
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:28:12 -0500, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

>wld wrote:
>> I know that remote desktop connection between xp pro. or xp pro and
>> win2003. Does win2k support it? I mean server part not client part or
>> need third party to intall to win2k?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> LL
>
>Yes - you can install Terminal Services in admin mode on the Win2000
>server - it will allow for two (three?) concurrent admin logins with no TS
>licenses needed. Then use the RD client to connect to it.
>
>You can't run terminal services/RD hosting on a Windows 2000 Pro
>workstation, though. You'd need third party stuff like one of the VNC
>variants.

It does work quite well to use current versions of UltraVNC to get access to
the console session from a background Admin mode terminal services session
on a Windows 2000 server, however.

You can even install, configure, and get this working from the remote
location if you have access to the registry created by a valid install with
a password from another machine, and aren't afraid of rebooting the server a
few times.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:ccsnq0d230am6d8s0b3os19k9fsbalubok@4ax.com...

Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote:
> Two sessions remotely and a console session that is NOT available via
> TS/RD... :(

Yep. But as they say, it's usually "good enough for government work."