Fuji FinePix S5100 Focus problem

My question relates to Focus. Everytime I take a picture with anymore
then about 3X zoom my pictures are out of focus. Zoom is one of the
reasons I bought this camera and have been very disappointed thus far.
I have tried using AF and MF. With a tripod and without. Changing
between AUTO, Portrait, Landscape and Action settings, yet still all
my zoom pictures are out of focus. My Firmware version is 1.00 Any
suggestions to "clear up" the problem?

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Repair or replace the camera.
"Shagadelic" <shagging@a_home_near_u.net> wrote in message
> My question relates to Focus. Everytime I take a picture with anymore
> then about 3X zoom my pictures are out of focus. Zoom is one of the
> reasons I bought this camera and have been very disappointed thus far.
> I have tried using AF and MF. With a tripod and without. Changing
> between AUTO, Portrait, Landscape and Action settings, yet still all
> my zoom pictures are out of focus. My Firmware version is 1.00 Any
> suggestions to "clear up" the problem?

"Shagadelic" <shagging@a_home_near_u.net> wrote in message
> My question relates to Focus. Everytime I take a picture with anymore
> then about 3X zoom my pictures are out of focus. Zoom is one of the
> reasons I bought this camera and have been very disappointed thus far.
> I have tried using AF and MF. With a tripod and without. Changing
> between AUTO, Portrait, Landscape and Action settings, yet still all
> my zoom pictures are out of focus. My Firmware version is 1.00 Any
> suggestions to "clear up" the problem?

Does the problem still happen if you use a tripod?

Yes.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 05:49:55 +0000 (UTC), "Pilbs"
<someone@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>"Shagadelic" <shagging@a_home_near_u.net> wrote in message
>> My question relates to Focus. Everytime I take a picture with anymore
>> then about 3X zoom my pictures are out of focus. Zoom is one of the
>> reasons I bought this camera and have been very disappointed thus far.
>> I have tried using AF and MF. With a tripod and without. Changing
>> between AUTO, Portrait, Landscape and Action settings, yet still all
>> my zoom pictures are out of focus. My Firmware version is 1.00 Any
>> suggestions to "clear up" the problem?
>
>Does the problem still happen if you use a tripod?

>Everytime I take a picture with anymore
>then about 3X zoom my pictures are out of focus.

It is rare for a camera lens to have a fault that would cause shots to
be out of focus as it is zoomed. And Fuji have a fairly good
reputation for their optics. It is, however, very common for people to
think they can use long telephoto shots without keeping the camera
*rock* steady - in general terms your shutter speeds should always be
at least as high as the 35mm-focal-length equivalent. So, if you are
shooting at, say 200mm zoom (which would be about 2/3 of the way
towards the optical zoom limit of that camera), your shutter speed
should be at least 1/200 (or preferably quicker) to avoid camera shake
problems. Bright daylit shots should be fairly easy, but anything less
may not. Does increasing the ISO setting help?

Can you post some examples? Do you know how to recognise the
difference between out-of-focus, and camera shake? Camera shake has a
directionally 'smeared' effect that looks quite different to o-o-f.

Hence the question about the tripod! And I still would be questioning
whether it is a camera steadiness problem, or maybe a
'not-giving-the-AF-enough-time' problem, as it may take longer to focus
at long focal lengths or under low-ish light conditions.. Lastly, if
you have eliminated all those, then back to the supplier I guess.
Sorry if you are aware of all of the above, but you haven't given all
that much info to go on.

Many thanks for your post. I got thinking today as I read it
and was fooling around with the shutter speed. I found that the lever
for the AF/MF also has a push button which actually focused the
pictures. Zoom pix work great now. THANKS!

Shagadelic wrote:
> Many thanks for your post. I got thinking today as I read it
> and was fooling around with the shutter speed. I found that the lever
> for the AF/MF also has a push button which actually focused the
> pictures. Zoom pix work great now. THANKS!

Now that you got that problem fixed, what are your opinions on the camera.
I'm considering it as one of my choices for an upcoming camera purchase.

This is the third Digi Cam I have owned. This is the BEST! I
had upgraded from the HP 735.

Shagadelic wrote:
> This is the third Digi Cam I have owned. This is the BEST! I
> had upgraded from the HP 735.
>

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:31:04 GMT, "Dirty Redpool"
> <dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote:
>
>> Shagadelic wrote:
>>> Many thanks for your post. I got thinking today as I read it
>>> and was fooling around with the shutter speed. I found that the
>>> lever for the AF/MF also has a push button which actually focused
>>> the pictures. Zoom pix work great now. THANKS!
>>
>> Now that you got that problem fixed, what are your opinions on the
>> camera. I'm considering it as one of my choices for an upcoming
>> camera purchase.

Cool. Tell me more, what fetaures do you find that you enjoy about it in
particular? Do you have sample photos uploaded anywhere?

I love it's Zoom capability and ease of use. The menu is very
well laid out and the camera physically is a very nice weight and
shape to hold. Other then MY initial finger problems with the focus
issue, this is the easiest Digi Cam I have used. I would highly
recommend it. I have attached a few pictures from today to this post.
Note the two pictures of the church and the ship in the dry dock
beyond the bridge. One on near full zoom and one without any zoom.
All pics were taken without a tripod.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:11:20 GMT, "Dirty Redpool"
<dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote:

>Shagadelic wrote:
>> This is the third Digi Cam I have owned. This is the BEST! I
>> had upgraded from the HP 735.
>>

>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:31:04 GMT, "Dirty Redpool"
>> <dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote:

>>> Now that you got that problem fixed, what are your opinions on the
>>> camera. I'm considering it as one of my choices for an upcoming
>>> camera purchase.
>
>Cool. Tell me more, what fetaures do you find that you enjoy about it in
>particular? Do you have sample photos uploaded anywhere?

I love it's Zoom capability and ease of use. The menu is very
well laid out and the camera physically is a very nice weight and
shape to hold. Other then MY initial finger problems with the focus
issue, this is the easiest Digi Cam I have used. I would highly
recommend it. I have attached a few pictures from today to this post.
Note the two pictures of the church and the ship in the dry dock
beyond the bridge. One on near full zoom and one without any zoom.
All pics were taken without a tripod.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:11:20 GMT, "Dirty Redpool"
<dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote:

>Shagadelic wrote:
>> This is the third Digi Cam I have owned. This is the BEST! I
>> had upgraded from the HP 735.
>>

>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:31:04 GMT, "Dirty Redpool"
>> <dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote:

>>> Now that you got that problem fixed, what are your opinions on the
>>> camera. I'm considering it as one of my choices for an upcoming
>>> camera purchase.
>
>Cool. Tell me more, what fetaures do you find that you enjoy about it in
>particular? Do you have sample photos uploaded anywhere?

I love it's Zoom capability and ease of use. The menu is very
well laid out and the camera physically is a very nice weight and
shape to hold. Other then MY initial finger problems with the focus
issue, this is the easiest Digi Cam I have used. I would highly
recommend it. If you send me an E-mail I will send you some good demo
pix I took today.

Kevin

san801@NOSPAMsympaticodotca

Shagadelic wrote:
> I love it's Zoom capability and ease of use. The menu is very
> well laid out and the camera physically is a very nice weight and
> shape to hold. Other then MY initial finger problems with the focus
> issue, this is the easiest Digi Cam I have used. I would highly
> recommend it. If you send me an E-mail I will send you some good demo
> pix I took today.
>

> Kevin

Thanks for the info. I just sent you an email :)

Not received.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:37:34 GMT, "Dirty Redpool"

Shagadelic wrote:
> Not received.

Hmm... it was sent from my crankytheturtleAThotmailDOTcom address. Perhaps
it got nabbed by a filter?

Not my address. Send it to:

san801@nsdotsympaticodotca

Change the dot to .

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:17:29 GMT, "Dirty Redpool"
<dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote:

>Shagadelic wrote:
>> Not received.
>
>Hmm... it was sent from my crankytheturtleAThotmailDOTcom address. Perhaps
>it got nabbed by a filter?

Sent you the pix. I just hope Hotmail can handle them all!

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:06:13 GMT, Shagadelic

Shagadelic wrote:
> Sent you the pix. I just hope Hotmail can handle them all!

Luckily I have one of the 250 Meg accounts. Thanks very much for the pics :)