TMPGEnc question

I am making a short film with a couple of short clips from a
professional dvd inserted in it (please dont turn this into a legality
thread I have a technical question, it is for private use, thank you).
I used dvd shrink to snip out the part I want.
I use TMPGEnc dvd authoring 1.6 to convert it to an mpeg (I think it's
an mpeg-2). This file plays perfect in DIVX or Windows Media Player.
But when I got to my Roxio Videowave editing software I lose the sound
on this file. What have I done wrong along the process?

p.s. for what it is worth I also took the mpeg file I made and split it
with avi/mpeg splitter (boilsoft) and before even trying to bring one
of the two split halves into roxio videowave I test it on windows media
player and theres no sound on that either.

thanks

<jmpc@msn.com> wrote in message
>I am making a short film with a couple of short clips from a
> professional dvd inserted in it (please dont turn this into a legality
> thread I have a technical question, it is for private use, thank you).
> I used dvd shrink to snip out the part I want.
> I use TMPGEnc dvd authoring 1.6 to convert it to an mpeg (I think it's
> an mpeg-2). This file plays perfect in DIVX or Windows Media Player.
> But when I got to my Roxio Videowave editing software I lose the sound
> on this file. What have I done wrong along the process?
>
> p.s. for what it is worth I also took the mpeg file I made and split it
> with avi/mpeg splitter (boilsoft) and before even trying to bring one
> of the two split halves into roxio videowave I test it on windows media
> player and theres no sound on that either.
>
> thanks

Download the free trial of VideoReDo and open your .mpg
file. Click on the window to stop the playback, and select "Tools"
then "Show Video Program Info". This will display "Video Stream"
and Audio Stream" information. Post what is displayed here.

www.VideoReDo.com

Luck;
Ken

> thanks Ill get that info posted

To insure that our efforts can really help; just what
is it that this "Roxio Videowave editing software" will
do for you? I take it that you will be doing the kind of
editing that would involve placing the video and audio
on separate timeline tracks and combining that with
effects and fancy transitions? If so you may want to
set VideoReDo to output the video and audio separately
as Essential Streams (ES). Not being familiar with that
editor software, you might want to also try the "Movie
Factory" compatibility setting if your editor still has a
problem.

Luck;
Ken

Ok Ken, I have noted below what VideoReDo shows. As far as Roxio, yes
it is a timeline editor. Its like Windows Movie Maker but a bit more
advanced. I came with my Dell pc. It can combine video from files such
as avi or wmv (no real or quicktime though). I can upload from my
camcorder or get a file from the internet. I can add stills, sound and
effects. It does not, or at least doesnt seem to, seperate the audio
and video. I mean I can add different audio to my timeline before
saving it and making it a vcd or dvd, but when the video clip has the
audio already in it or connected to it (such as with the video captured
from my camcorder) I havent had to do anything special.

It says video stream
file type - program stream
dimensions 720 x 480
display size 720 x 480
frame rate 29.97 fps
vbv_buffer 224 KB
progressive prog or Int

Encoding
Mpeg 2
stream ID xEO
aspect ration 16/9
bit rate 9.800 mbps
prfile main/main
chroma 4:2:0

audio stream
stream id - AC:3 0 (x80)
channels 5.1
bit rate 448 Kbps
sampling rate 48000 Hz

> Ok Ken, I have noted below what VideoReDo shows. As far as Roxio, yes
> it is a timeline editor. Its like Windows Movie Maker but a bit more
> advanced. I came with my Dell pc. It can combine video from files such
> as avi or wmv (no real or quicktime though). I can upload from my
> camcorder or get a file from the internet. I can add stills, sound and
> effects. It does not, or at least doesnt seem to, seperate the audio
> and video. I mean I can add different audio to my timeline before
> saving it and making it a vcd or dvd, but when the video clip has the
> audio already in it or connected to it (such as with the video captured
> from my camcorder) I havent had to do anything special.
>
> It says video stream
> file type - program stream
> dimensions 720 x 480
> display size 720 x 480
> frame rate 29.97 fps
> vbv_buffer 224 KB
> progressive prog or Int
>
> Encoding
> Mpeg 2
> stream ID xEO
> aspect ration 16/9
> bit rate 9.800 mbps
> prfile main/main
> chroma 4:2:0
>
> audio stream
> stream id - AC:3 0 (x80)
> channels 5.1
> bit rate 448 Kbps
> sampling rate 48000 Hz
>
> thanks

You have several things that could be causing you problems.
Your sound issue could be as simple as your Roxio Editor, like
TDA without the AC3 plugin, can't play AC3 audio. With TDA
you can go ahead and author and the audio will be there, as 5.1
even; in the final output. You won't hear it during the authoring
process though. With the AC3 plugin, TDA will down mix to
stereo AC3 and you will hear it while authoring.

The next big problem would have been that the Bitrate is too
high, if it were real, but it is not really that high, that's just what
is writen in the header.

You could try running it through VideoReDo and try it in your
editor; since the headers will be rewriten it might work from just
that. If not then have VideoReDo demux and output as two files.
probably a .mpv and an .ac3 file. Then you can see it your editor
likes them better that way. If not again, then you can convert the
AC3 to something it will accept.

If you need an inexpensive non-destructive editor that can handle
MPEG as well as AVI , combining them in the project; you could
try:
If you Froogle on "Magix Video Deluxe 2.0 Plus" you can
find it for less that $15 US. (I have seen it for $9.95) You
could try that out and if you like it, but want the new features,
you could use an upgrade discount. It might be that the 2.0
plus has all the features you need.

It has 32 tracks available to add effects, text, audio and/or
video. You can use Chroma, Green or Blue scene/box to
overlay the video tracks.

You might want to download some fancy Fonts, to use.
Check out
http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/shyfonts/shy_a.htm

for free fonts

Luck;