Can I get 3 hours onto DVD and still have good quality?

I've been capturing my 9 hours of MiniDV footage from my honeymoon and
burning it onto DVDs, but I'm seeing some loss in quality even when trying
to fit 2 hours onto one disc.

I am using WinDV to capture the MiniDV footage and TMPGEnc it to encode to
"NTSC DVD" (coz my camera is NTSC) at about 5500kbps with the "quality"
setting at 100% (whatever that does). The result is quite good and allows me
to fit 2 hours on one disc by making the DVD about 10% oversize on the hard
drive with TMPGEnc DVD Author and then DVD Shrink 3.1 to bring it down to
fit on a 4.7GB disc.

When playing the 2 hour DVD on my TV, I notice some graininess when the
camera pans or tilts quickly. The grainy effect comes from Shrink, which I
think is strange, because I've never noticed it on movie DVDs that I've
Shrunk.

My main queiry is this: Why is it that when I 'Shrink' movie DVDs which
usually have at least 3 hours playtime, they look great. But, when I make a
disc that's only 2 hours, I notice a big loss in quality.

I didn't expect MiniDV quality, but I would love to be able to fit 3 hours
on each disc without the noticable grainy effect.

Any help would be much appreciated, as my relatives want to see the videos
of our honeymoon in the Middle East and it's great to be able to flick
through them on a DVD instead of winding through the MiniDV tapes.
2 answers Last reply
More about hours good quality

    Rus Davey wrote:
    > I am using WinDV to capture the MiniDV footage and TMPGEnc it to encode to
    > "NTSC DVD" (coz my camera is NTSC) at about 5500kbps with the "quality"
    > setting at 100% (whatever that does). The result is quite good and allows me
    > to fit 2 hours on one disc by making the DVD about 10% oversize on the hard
    > drive with TMPGEnc DVD Author and then DVD Shrink 3.1 to bring it down to
    > fit on a 4.7GB disc.

    Only use DVDShrink as a last resort. The best results are achieved by
    encoding directly to the target bitrate. An average bitrate of 3000
    will get you around 3 hours of space on a DVD with room to spare for a
    nice menu system.

    > I didn't expect MiniDV quality, but I would love to be able to fit 3 hours
    > on each disc without the noticable grainy effect.

    Perhaps filter your video before encoding. Spatial and temporal filters
    will aid in the MPEG encoding process. Check this link for the
    VirtualDub filters that I use:
    http://mythhelper.sourceforge.net

    Also, you should be using Half D1 resolution with such a low bitrate.

    --
    -WD

    Encode Variable Bitrate with an average of 5500, High 8000, Low 1000. Set it
    to do two passes. It takes longer, but should get both those hours onto the
    DVD with better quality.

    "Rus Davey" <rus@aapt.net.au> wrote in message
    > I've been capturing my 9 hours of MiniDV footage from my honeymoon and
    > burning it onto DVDs, but I'm seeing some loss in quality even when trying
    > to fit 2 hours onto one disc.
    >
    > I am using WinDV to capture the MiniDV footage and TMPGEnc it to encode to
    > "NTSC DVD" (coz my camera is NTSC) at about 5500kbps with the "quality"
    > setting at 100% (whatever that does). The result is quite good and allows
    me
    > to fit 2 hours on one disc by making the DVD about 10% oversize on the
    hard
    > drive with TMPGEnc DVD Author and then DVD Shrink 3.1 to bring it down to
    > fit on a 4.7GB disc.
    >
    > When playing the 2 hour DVD on my TV, I notice some graininess when the
    > camera pans or tilts quickly. The grainy effect comes from Shrink, which I
    > think is strange, because I've never noticed it on movie DVDs that I've
    > Shrunk.
    >
    > My main queiry is this: Why is it that when I 'Shrink' movie DVDs which
    > usually have at least 3 hours playtime, they look great. But, when I make
    > disc that's only 2 hours, I notice a big loss in quality.
    >
    > I didn't expect MiniDV quality, but I would love to be able to fit 3 hours
    > on each disc without the noticable grainy effect.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated, as my relatives want to see the videos
    > of our honeymoon in the Middle East and it's great to be able to flick
    > through them on a DVD instead of winding through the MiniDV tapes.

Tuner Cards DVD MiniDV Graphics