Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Remote Desktop pauses

Tags:
  • Remote Desktop
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
November 29, 2004 8:42:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I have been using remote desktop for about 9 months. It has worked
flawlessly until the last two weeks. Now, when I log in to my home
computer from remote locations, it pauses. I will be using R.D. just
fine, it will then hang for about 10-30 seconds and then start working
again. I'm using Comcast cable so the bandwidth shouldn't be an
issue.

More about : remote desktop pauses

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 11:46:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Chewie wrote:
> I have been using remote desktop for about 9 months. It has worked
> flawlessly until the last two weeks. Now, when I log in to my home
> computer from remote locations, it pauses. I will be using R.D. just
> fine, it will then hang for about 10-30 seconds and then start working
> again. I'm using Comcast cable so the bandwidth shouldn't be an
> issue.

Could be latency in the Internet connection from either side. Can you see
whether the same thing happens when you connect using RD on your home LAN to
this computer, if you have another computer to test with?
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 1:20:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Chewie wrote:
> I have been using remote desktop for about 9 months. It has worked
> flawlessly until the last two weeks. Now, when I log in to my home
> computer from remote locations, it pauses. I will be using R.D. just
> fine, it will then hang for about 10-30 seconds and then start working
> again. I'm using Comcast cable so the bandwidth shouldn't be an
> issue.

That last statement is flawed in that no connection is guaranteed perfect
24/7. Even the slightest change in connectivity could account for what you
are seeing. It could even come down to a faulty CAT5/5e/6 cable or router
or even network card/driver.

How is the connection from inside the same LAN to the computer in question?
What about the connection from the home computer TO remote locations?
Have you checked the options to make sure you haven't inadvertently added
some level of sharing (experience tab) you did not intend?
Have you setup a continuous ping and/or better yet performed a TRACERT or
PATHPING during one of these pauses?

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
getting into before you jump in with both feet.
Related resources
November 30, 2004 2:03:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks for the good info. I tried all you advised and results are
below:

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message news:<ereJfPp1EHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...


> How is the connection from inside the same LAN to the computer in question?

When RD to the computer using local, reserved IP (192.168.0.2) it is
blazing fast. When I go through the router using port forwarding, it
is very slow, but it has always been slow - I reasearched this when I
first setup the network and it has something to do with bandwidth
sharing but it was a problem I could work around.

> What about the connection from the home computer TO remote locations?

Great - fast. Approaching 3M when maxing the bandwidth.

> Have you checked the options to make sure you haven't inadvertently added
> some level of sharing (experience tab) you did not intend?

Checked - set to lowest level.

> Have you setup a continuous ping and/or better yet performed a TRACERT or
> PATHPING during one of these pauses?

Continuous Ping shows no problems, neither does TraceRT. PathPing
shows 100% packet loss at two AT&T router switches but it shows up if
RD is working or hanging and it appears even when I'm moving big files
via other ports (FTP, HTTP, SMTP, POP3).

The only related information I can find on the web is here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark%2C10567046~mode=...

Thanks!
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 10:41:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Chewie <chewie@casadebaca.com> wrote:

> I have been using remote desktop for about 9 months. It has worked
> flawlessly until the last two weeks. Now, when I log in to my home
> computer from remote locations, it pauses. I will be using R.D. just
> fine, it will then hang for about 10-30 seconds and then start working
> again. I'm using Comcast cable so the bandwidth shouldn't be an
> issue.

If your "remote locations" are via DSL connections, you might need to reduce
the MTU of your RDC client laptop to 1492 from the default 1500.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk
!