HELP!!! configured router for remote access, but now can't..

I configured my Netgear RP614 router for remote access by forwarding the
appropriate ports and enabling the service. I tested remote desktop from my
wifes computer and it works great but now the host computer can't access the
internet. I tried a few command line tests to see what the problem is and I
could ping anything outside the LAN. Once I removed the port forwarding on
the router I can get out to the internet. I'm new at this. Can anyone with
experience help me?
5 answers Last reply
More about help configured router remote access

    Your trying to use Remote Desktop, correct?

    Did you follow these instructions to forward TCP Port 3389 through the router?

    http://www.portforward.com/netgear/rp614-portforwarding.htm

    Since you tested this over your home LAN and it worked then its obviously an issue with the router.
    If the above does not help I suggest you go over to the DSL Reports Netgear forums for help with
    that particular router...

    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/netgear

    ....or the Netgear support pages...

    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101145.asp

    http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/RP614.asp

    The bottom line is simple port forwarding through the router should not kill your outbound
    connection from any PC...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Jason" <only4spam04@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:dr6dneZT4a3RnDHcRVn-rQ@comcast.com...
    >I configured my Netgear RP614 router for remote access by forwarding the
    > appropriate ports and enabling the service. I tested remote desktop from my
    > wifes computer and it works great but now the host computer can't access the
    > internet. I tried a few command line tests to see what the problem is and I
    > could ping anything outside the LAN. Once I removed the port forwarding on
    > the router I can get out to the internet. I'm new at this. Can anyone with
    > experience help me?

    I agree with everybody else.

    Jason--If you can't solve this quickly, the best advice is probably to reset
    the router to the defaults--there should be instructions on how to do this
    in the manual--and then re-try setting up the port forwarding using the
    resources Al has linked to.

    "Jason" <only4spam04@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I configured my Netgear RP614 router for remote access by forwarding the
    > appropriate ports and enabling the service. I tested remote desktop from
    > my
    > wifes computer and it works great but now the host computer can't access
    > the
    > internet. I tried a few command line tests to see what the problem is and
    > could ping anything outside the LAN. Once I removed the port forwarding on
    > the router I can get out to the internet. I'm new at this. Can anyone with
    > experience help me?

    Thank you so much that first URL had exactly what I needed. I forwarded a
    range of ports instead of just the 2 I needed so that's why I had a problem.
    Thank you everything works beautifully now.

    > Your trying to use Remote Desktop, correct?
    >
    > Did you follow these instructions to forward TCP Port 3389 through the
    > router?
    >
    > http://www.portforward.com/netgear/rp614-portforwarding.htm
    >
    > Since you tested this over your home LAN and it worked then its obviously
    > an issue with the router. If the above does not help I suggest you go over
    > to the DSL Reports Netgear forums for help with that particular router...
    >
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/netgear
    >
    > ...or the Netgear support pages...
    >
    > http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101145.asp
    >
    > http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/RP614.asp
    >
    > The bottom line is simple port forwarding through the router should not
    > kill your outbound connection from any PC...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >
    > "Jason" <only4spam04@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I configured my Netgear RP614 router for remote access by forwarding the
    >> appropriate ports and enabling the service. I tested remote desktop from
    >> my
    >> wifes computer and it works great but now the host computer can't access
    >> the
    >> internet. I tried a few command line tests to see what the problem is and
    >> could ping anything outside the LAN. Once I removed the port forwarding
    >> on
    >> the router I can get out to the internet. I'm new at this. Can anyone
    >> with
    >> experience help me?

    thank you Bill. You are right, the router is fine I just set up the
    forwarding wrong. Instead of forwarding just the two ports I forwarded the
    range between the 2 ports. And the above URLs were very helpful indeed.

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    >I agree with everybody else.
    >
    > Jason--If you can't solve this quickly, the best advice is probably to
    > reset the router to the defaults--there should be instructions on how to
    > do this in the manual--and then re-try setting up the port forwarding
    > using the resources Al has linked to.
    >
    > "Jason" <only4spam04@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I configured my Netgear RP614 router for remote access by forwarding the
    >> appropriate ports and enabling the service. I tested remote desktop from
    >> my
    >> wifes computer and it works great but now the host computer can't access
    >> the
    >> internet. I tried a few command line tests to see what the problem is and
    >> could ping anything outside the LAN. Once I removed the port forwarding
    >> on
    >> the router I can get out to the internet. I'm new at this. Can anyone
    >> with
    >> experience help me?

    Great--thanks for letting us know!

    > thank you Bill. You are right, the router is fine I just set up the
    > forwarding wrong. Instead of forwarding just the two ports I forwarded the
    > range between the 2 ports. And the above URLs were very helpful indeed.
    >

    > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    >>I agree with everybody else.
    >>
    >> Jason--If you can't solve this quickly, the best advice is probably to
    >> reset the router to the defaults--there should be instructions on how to
    >> do this in the manual--and then re-try setting up the port forwarding
    >> using the resources Al has linked to.
    >>
    >> "Jason" <only4spam04@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>I configured my Netgear RP614 router for remote access by forwarding the
    >>> appropriate ports and enabling the service. I tested remote desktop from
    >>> my
    >>> wifes computer and it works great but now the host computer can't access
    >>> the
    >>> internet. I tried a few command line tests to see what the problem is
    >>> and I
    >>> could ping anything outside the LAN. Once I removed the port forwarding
    >>> on
    >>> the router I can get out to the internet. I'm new at this. Can anyone
    >>> with
    >>> experience help me?

Routers Remote Access Windows XP