Does miniDV/DVCAM tape really matter?

Let me start by assuring everyone that I personally always use Sony
Excellence tape and would never think of using cheap tape or mixing
brands.

But as an engineer who's worked extensively with helical-scan digital
tapes in the computer domain I realize that those tapes at least have
a robust error-correction scheme, and that "all" tape is reliable.
Quotes to eliminate obvious white-box trash that might have been
dumpster-trash or something. And reliable doesn't mean that one tape
or another won't have a coating that gives a couple db better s/n than
another, etc. Just that under normal circumstances there's no
practical, discernable difference, even when it's a computer program
that's being recorded/retrieved, and a single bit error would be
fatal.

Does DV tape >not< include any kind of ecc scheme? That would suggest
that any significant defect would compromise a block of video data,
and I was spending my money wisely.

Other than the white papers from the tape manufacturers, who obviously
have a vested interest in selling me Excellence for $8 instead of
Premium for $3, has anyone come across a technical evaluation of what
kind of tape is necessary?
1 answer Last reply
More about does minidv dvcam tape matter

    "JT" <NgPoster@missing.org> wrote in message
    > Let me start by assuring everyone that I personally always use Sony
    > Excellence tape and would never think of using cheap tape or mixing
    > brands.
    >
    > But as an engineer who's worked extensively with helical-scan digital
    > tapes in the computer domain I realize that those tapes at least have
    > a robust error-correction scheme, and that "all" tape is reliable.
    > Quotes to eliminate obvious white-box trash that might have been
    > dumpster-trash or something. And reliable doesn't mean that one tape
    > or another won't have a coating that gives a couple db better s/n than
    > another, etc. Just that under normal circumstances there's no
    > practical, discernable difference, even when it's a computer program
    > that's being recorded/retrieved, and a single bit error would be
    > fatal.
    >
    > Does DV tape >not< include any kind of ecc scheme? That would suggest
    > that any significant defect would compromise a block of video data,
    > and I was spending my money wisely.

    tape doesn't include ecc but the format does.

    > Other than the white papers from the tape manufacturers, who obviously
    > have a vested interest in selling me Excellence for $8 instead of
    > Premium for $3, has anyone come across a technical evaluation of what
    > kind of tape is necessary?

Tuner Cards Graphics