Does miniDV/DVCAM tape really matter?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 21, 2005 3:30:41 AM

Let me start by assuring everyone that I personally always use Sony
Excellence tape and would never think of using cheap tape or mixing
brands.

But as an engineer who's worked extensively with helical-scan digital
tapes in the computer domain I realize that those tapes at least have
a robust error-correction scheme, and that "all" tape is reliable.
Quotes to eliminate obvious white-box trash that might have been
dumpster-trash or something. And reliable doesn't mean that one tape
or another won't have a coating that gives a couple db better s/n than
another, etc. Just that under normal circumstances there's no
practical, discernable difference, even when it's a computer program
that's being recorded/retrieved, and a single bit error would be
fatal.

Does DV tape >not< include any kind of ecc scheme? That would suggest
that any significant defect would compromise a block of video data,
and I was spending my money wisely.

Other than the white papers from the tape manufacturers, who obviously
have a vested interest in selling me Excellence for $8 instead of
Premium for $3, has anyone come across a technical evaluation of what
kind of tape is necessary?
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 6:26:29 PM

"JT" <NgPoster@missing.org> wrote in message
> Let me start by assuring everyone that I personally always use Sony
> Excellence tape and would never think of using cheap tape or mixing
> brands.
>
> But as an engineer who's worked extensively with helical-scan digital
> tapes in the computer domain I realize that those tapes at least have
> a robust error-correction scheme, and that "all" tape is reliable.
> Quotes to eliminate obvious white-box trash that might have been
> dumpster-trash or something. And reliable doesn't mean that one tape
> or another won't have a coating that gives a couple db better s/n than
> another, etc. Just that under normal circumstances there's no
> practical, discernable difference, even when it's a computer program
> that's being recorded/retrieved, and a single bit error would be
> fatal.
>
> Does DV tape >not< include any kind of ecc scheme? That would suggest
> that any significant defect would compromise a block of video data,
> and I was spending my money wisely.

tape doesn't include ecc but the format does.

!