Canon A400 power supply

Hi, Im tryng to build a power supply for my Canon A400, but it doesnt
says the polarity.
A LM317 IC reg can give 1.5A, just enough to feed it, so the only
problem that I have now is that I cant find a plug that fits.
Does any one know something about?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Digital-Cameras-Canon-A400-power-supply-ftopict57449.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=289303

"CesarIII" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Im tryng to build a power supply for my Canon A400, but it doesnt
> says the polarity.
> A LM317 IC reg can give 1.5A, just enough to feed it, so the only
> problem that I have now is that I cant find a plug that fits.
> Does any one know something about?

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Digital-Cameras-Canon-A400-power-supply-ftopict57449.html
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=289303

Look closely at the symbol beside the power connector. It should indicate
the polarity. Most likely the center post is positive (I do not know for
sure, all of my cameras are positive center).

In the USA, Radioshack has the connectors.
http://www.radioshack.com/search.asp?find=power+connectors&site=search&SRC=1&image1.x=36&image1.y=37

So does mouser.com http://www.mouser.com/catalog/622/771.pdf

Why reinvent the power supply, you can buy for about $20 power supplies for
Digital Cameras.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/shoptronics/amd21undicaa.html

http://www.smcelectronics.com/ACADAPT.HTM

Scroll down the page to Digital Camera Power Supply
http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p17.htm

Support page for PowerShot A400:
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=221&modelid=10630

The Compact Power Adapter CA-PS800 from the PowerShot A400 Manual shows the
Rated Output as 3.15V DC at 2A.

Your LM317 IC reg 1.5A http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM317.html may be a
little short on enough power. The LM350 3A would be a better choice.
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM350.html

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

"CesarIII" wrote:
> Hi, Im tryng to build a power supply for my Canon A400, but it
> doesnt says the polarity.
> A LM317 IC reg can give 1.5A, just enough to feed it, so the
> only problem that I have now is that I cant find a plug that
> fits.
> Does any one know something about?

Yes the polarity sometimes is marked in some side close to the plug
receptacle but this camera doesnt have it, although it is usualy +
centre I
need to be sure, I dont want to hurt my camera. Maybe the PS says,
but I cant find the specs of the PS, I only find "marketing" data.

Maybe you are right, its not necesary to *reinvent* the power supply,
but Ill keep working on.

The LM350 is a better choice, yes.
Thanks so much for the links!