Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 64 bit startup problem

Last response: in Windows 7
January 6, 2011 8:47:00 PM

Hello,
Initially I experienced slow startup and shutdown. Got error messages 100 and 200. Now I must do repeated combinations of hard boot/reboot while tapping F8 to get it started.Finally I get messages "repair startup" and "restore to earlier time". Can anyone help me.
January 6, 2011 9:01:40 PM

It looks as though you're prompting a system restore. It might help with trying to get your computer to run at a capacity as it used to. Or at least that's the goal. This might not necessarily be a bad thing as you're experiencing a slow startup and shutdown.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2011 9:06:00 PM

insert disk and try to repair the installation, back up first, not because the repair will cause issues, but you may have a progressive hardware failure.
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2011 10:19:22 PM

w7pro said:
It looks as though you're prompting a system restore. It might help with trying to get your computer to run at a capacity as it used to. Or at least that's the goal. This might not necessarily be a bad thing as you're experiencing a slow startup and shutdown.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

Ryan - Tapping F8 while performing repeated combinations of hard boots and reboots is the only way I can get it to start. When finally successful I get my mobo logo for about 6 seconds, then "PCI Listings' for about one second, and then the instructions I previously referred to. I've checked my memory, HDD, drivers, removed everything I could from startup, and have run chkdsk. No problems reported. My mobo is DFI Lanparty Dk p35-T2RS, cpu is Intel Q9550, and I have 8GB Ram.
OS is Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
m
l
January 16, 2011 12:34:05 AM

13thmonkey said:
insert disk and try to repair the installation, back up first, not because the repair will cause issues, but you may have a progressive hardware failure.

Thanks for the suggestion. When you say to back up first do you mean to do a system backup? I would like to save the "insert disc and repair" as a last resort because of what's involved. I'd like to check my BIOS for corruption first. I just need instructions how to do it, what to look for, and what to do. I've been fearful of going into BIOS - afraid I might really screw things up.
BTW: As I said, I must do repeated hard boots/reboots and tap F8 during startup because this is the only way I can get this thing going. Now I get the boot options screen and have been able to choose "start windows normally".
Bob
m
l
January 16, 2011 2:32:17 AM

w7pro,
Ryan - For some reason I can now progress to the "boot options" screen after repeated hard boots so I tried the option "boot windows normally" and it has worked for me. Of course, the next day I still have to go thru the usual routine to get this thing going. Does that give you any clues as to why I must do repeated hard boots to get going in the first place?
Bob
m
l
January 21, 2011 2:41:46 AM

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. Problem solved. There was a problem in the BIOS. Reloading default settings did the trick.
Bob
m
l
January 22, 2011 11:37:46 PM

Best answer selected by classicride72.
m
l
!