Windows 7 64 bit startup problem

Hello,
Initially I experienced slow startup and shutdown. Got error messages 100 and 200. Now I must do repeated combinations of hard boot/reboot while tapping F8 to get it started.Finally I get messages "repair startup" and "restore to earlier time". Can anyone help me.
7 answers Last reply
More about windows startup problem
  1. It looks as though you're prompting a system restore. It might help with trying to get your computer to run at a capacity as it used to. Or at least that's the goal. This might not necessarily be a bad thing as you're experiencing a slow startup and shutdown.

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team
  2. insert disk and try to repair the installation, back up first, not because the repair will cause issues, but you may have a progressive hardware failure.
  3. w7pro said:
    It looks as though you're prompting a system restore. It might help with trying to get your computer to run at a capacity as it used to. Or at least that's the goal. This might not necessarily be a bad thing as you're experiencing a slow startup and shutdown.

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team

Ryan - Tapping F8 while performing repeated combinations of hard boots and reboots is the only way I can get it to start. When finally successful I get my mobo logo for about 6 seconds, then "PCI Listings' for about one second, and then the instructions I previously referred to. I've checked my memory, HDD, drivers, removed everything I could from startup, and have run chkdsk. No problems reported. My mobo is DFI Lanparty Dk p35-T2RS, cpu is Intel Q9550, and I have 8GB Ram.
    OS is Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
  4. 13thmonkey said:
    insert disk and try to repair the installation, back up first, not because the repair will cause issues, but you may have a progressive hardware failure.

Thanks for the suggestion. When you say to back up first do you mean to do a system backup? I would like to save the "insert disc and repair" as a last resort because of what's involved. I'd like to check my BIOS for corruption first. I just need instructions how to do it, what to look for, and what to do. I've been fearful of going into BIOS - afraid I might really screw things up.
    BTW: As I said, I must do repeated hard boots/reboots and tap F8 during startup because this is the only way I can get this thing going. Now I get the boot options screen and have been able to choose "start windows normally".
    Bob
  5. w7pro,
    Ryan - For some reason I can now progress to the "boot options" screen after repeated hard boots so I tried the option "boot windows normally" and it has worked for me. Of course, the next day I still have to go thru the usual routine to get this thing going. Does that give you any clues as to why I must do repeated hard boots to get going in the first place?
    Bob
  6. Thanks to everyone for suggestions. Problem solved. There was a problem in the BIOS. Reloading default settings did the trick.
    Bob
  7. Best answer selected by classicride72.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Slow Startup Shutdown