Promoting a video transfer and editing business

I finally have the system setup the way I want and getting very good
reults when doing transfers and editing from VHS and soon will be
adding 8mm to the list.

Because of health reasons, I have been forced into retirement. Doing
some video work will be a good way to keep me busy and a little spare
change never hurts.

I ran a small ad in the very local paper, it is a weeky. For $34 it
ran 4 weeks. I got two calls and one job. The job gross was $120 and
the cost of materials was about $10, so I am pretty pleased with the
net result. But I am looking for any ideas that you may have
successfully used to promote such a business.

The ad was very simple and I am open to any ideas that might gain more
attention and bring in more work.

Ad copy:

DVD Scrapebooks
VHS to DVD transfers
www.mywebpage
555-1212

That was it. Bigger ads get expensive real quick. But it is all
about ROI, so if you have something that works in your area, I would
be happy to hear it.

I think I am in a good location. I haven't seen another ad for
similar services and the guy who I did the work for says the only
other person he could find was about 2 hours away.

What's your thought.

Thanks
Barry
13 answers Last reply
More about promoting video transfer editing business

    > DVD Scrapebooks
    > VHS to DVD transfers
    > www.mywebpage
    > 555-1212

    Why not post your actual website address here? That won't hurt your
    business. ;-) Gotta take advantage of every opportunity you get!

    Cory

    > DVD Scrapebooks
    > VHS to DVD transfers
    > www.mywebpage
    > 555-1212

    THERE'S your problem ! You're having them call long distance information !!
    <<GG>>

    Seriously, keep doing the same thing.

    Repetition is the key. Get contact info from EVERYONE who calls.
    Repetition is the key. Offer to "drop them some more info in the mail".
    Repetition is the key. Then develop a post card brochure
    (cheaper to mail), and send them out
    monthly to everyone on the list.
    Repetition is the key. Drop the card to churches monthly
    as well. They can be tough to crack
    initially, but often can provide a steady
    source of work when you finally get them.

    Repetition is the key. Also, offer to be a supplier for some of
    your competitors. Discount the service
    appropriately so they can make a profit
    as well.

    Repetition is the key. Did I mention that ?

    >Repetition is the key. Did I mention that ?

    Thanks Steve for the Reply. I will carry on then and be repetitive
    enough to be darn right boring if it works.

    I was curious about how to approach the Church clientile. Sad to say
    that a good part of the business will be editing down videos for
    furnerals, which was actually the job that I did get. So an "in"
    with the Chruch could be a good lead source. Although I certainly
    don't wan to be know as an ambulance chaser.

    Thanks
    Barry

    >Why not post your actual website address here? That won't hurt your
    >business. ;-) Gotta take advantage of every opportunity you get!
    >
    >Cory

    Thanks Cory for the reply. Actually you are quite right, But I use
    newsgroups quite regularly for all kinds of purposes and wouldn't want
    a reputation for using it for advertising purposes. But your comment
    is good marketing.

    Thanks
    Barry

    You might want to take a look at a group called WEVA at www.weva.com
    I know that some members of that organization have, like you, gotten into
    doing videos for (and the videotaping of) funerals. They may be able to
    offer some advice.

    Mike

    >You might want to take a look at a group called WEVA at www.weva.com
    >I know that some members of that organization have, like you, gotten into
    >doing videos for (and the videotaping of) funerals. They may be able to
    >offer some advice.

    Thanks Mike for your reply. Wow, I didn't know. Do they really
    video tape the funeral? I was thinking more of editing footage to be
    played at the funeral home. This apparently is becomming the next
    step after having a cork board with pictures. And then people
    actually want a copy for whatever reason. Frankly I had no idea it
    would be a part of the business, I was more thinking editing wedding
    videos and my trip to Greece kind of thing. Life does take some odd
    turns.

    Thanks
    Barry

    "B&B Musmon" wrote ...
    > Ad copy:
    >
    > DVD Scrapebooks
    > VHS to DVD transfers
    > www.mywebpage
    > 555-1212

    What is a scrapebook?

    "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message news:10v4sl6s7d5f074@corp.supernews.com...
    > "B&B Musmon" wrote ...
    > > Ad copy:
    > >
    > > DVD Scrapebooks
    > > VHS to DVD transfers
    > > www.mywebpage
    > > 555-1212
    >
    > What is a scrapebook?

    I think it's some kind of a log kept by an abortion clinic.

    May I add another idea to Steve's great suggestions? I, too am in the
    same business (Video Scrapbooks, though I also do FILM to DVD) and you
    might try what I did:

    Put together a SVCD of samples of your work. You might want to use
    excerpts of some of your jobs (get permission from the customer) or
    "fabricate" some photo/video combinations to show off your editing
    skills (don't forget the background music). The cost of regular CDs and
    labels and plain paper sleeves should be reasonable (costs me about 25
    to 30 cents each). 100 copies should then be about $30 and you can
    leave a handful at the barber shop, local coffee shop, senior center,
    etc. It's more likely someone would take one and play it than just
    using a business card. Works for me (damn, I hope you're not in my
    State!). Good luck!

    -Marty

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:07:40 GMT, Martin Lab <bigkriss@dlab.com>
    wrote:

    >May I add another idea to Steve's great suggestions? I, too am in the
    >same business (Video Scrapbooks, though I also do FILM to DVD) and you
    >might try what I did:
    >
    >Put together a SVCD of samples of your work. You might want to use
    >excerpts of some of your jobs (get permission from the customer) or
    >"fabricate" some photo/video combinations to show off your editing
    >skills (don't forget the background music). The cost of regular CDs and
    >labels and plain paper sleeves should be reasonable (costs me about 25
    >to 30 cents each). 100 copies should then be about $30 and you can
    >leave a handful at the barber shop, local coffee shop, senior center,
    >etc. It's more likely someone would take one and play it than just
    >using a business card. Works for me (damn, I hope you're not in my
    >State!). Good luck!
    >
    >-Marty

    Thanks Marty for your great suggestion. Frankly at the moment I don't
    have a large body of work and most of the things I have done are not
    the best quality, that is, the source being something valuable but
    not neccessarily high quality images. However, I certainly could put
    together a "this is what I could do for you" presentation using dummy
    footage.

    Wow, where do you buy your supplies so cheap? Certainly a $100
    campaign should bring in some work at a good ROI. Great suggestion.

    I doubt we are within a 1000 miles of each other, I live in rural
    Maine. There isn't a vast population here, but as I understand it,
    there is nobody close doing anything similar.

    Thanks
    Barry

    B&B Musmon wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:07:40 GMT, Martin Lab <bigkriss@dlab.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>May I add another idea to Steve's great suggestions? I, too am in the
    >>same business (Video Scrapbooks, though I also do FILM to DVD) and you
    >>might try what I did:
    >>
    >>Put together a SVCD of samples of your work. You might want to use
    >>excerpts of some of your jobs (get permission from the customer) or
    >>"fabricate" some photo/video combinations to show off your editing
    >>skills (don't forget the background music). The cost of regular CDs and
    >>labels and plain paper sleeves should be reasonable (costs me about 25
    >>to 30 cents each). 100 copies should then be about $30 and you can
    >>leave a handful at the barber shop, local coffee shop, senior center,
    >>etc. It's more likely someone would take one and play it than just
    >>using a business card. Works for me (damn, I hope you're not in my
    >>State!). Good luck!
    >>
    >>-Marty
    >

    > Thanks Marty for your great suggestion. Frankly at the moment I don't
    > have a large body of work and most of the things I have done are not
    > the best quality, that is, the source being something valuable but
    > not neccessarily high quality images. However, I certainly could put
    > together a "this is what I could do for you" presentation using dummy
    > footage.
    >
    > Wow, where do you buy your supplies so cheap? Certainly a $100
    > campaign should bring in some work at a good ROI. Great suggestion.
    >
    > I doubt we are within a 1000 miles of each other, I live in rural
    > Maine. There isn't a vast population here, but as I understand it,
    > there is nobody close doing anything similar.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Barry

    Glad I could be of help. As far as supplies go, if you have anything
    like CompUSA, Staples, etc., they usually have some good prices on CDs
    which break down to about 20 cents each (remember, SVCDs or VCDs are
    made using CDs not DVDs, although DVD prices have dropped considerably).
    Paper sleeves should be pretty cheap (I forgot what I paid, but I
    think it comes to 1 or 2 cents apiece). I haven't done the math on
    printing labels, ink, etc. but I'm sure that breaks down to pennies
    also. You might look around the internet for supplies but don't forget
    to take shipping costs into account. Hope this helps, and by the way,
    I'm in South Carolina but was born in New England (Connecticut). If you
    care to have a copy of my Sample SVCD, let me know and maybe you could
    send me yours when you get to it.

    Good Luck!
    Marty

    "Martin Lab" <bigkriss@dlab.com> wrote in message

    > B&B Musmon wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:07:40 GMT, Martin Lab <bigkriss@dlab.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>May I add another idea to Steve's great suggestions? I, too am in
    >>>the same business (Video Scrapbooks, though I also do FILM to DVD)
    >>>and you might try what I did:
    >>>
    >>>Put together a SVCD of samples of your work.

    But remember that VCDs and SVCDs only play on a fraction
    of the DVD players out there. Distributing a "nonstandard"
    disk that won't play would be NEGATIVE promotion in many
    people's opinion.

    DVDRs are so cheap these days that there shouldn't be any
    excuse to distribute some oddball substitute.

    Hello Marty,

    I tried to email you directly, I don't really want to post my address
    here, but it came back. My email does work if you want to send me
    your email address.

    Thanks
    Barry

    >>>Put together a SVCD of samples of your work. You might want to use
    >>>excerpts of some of your jobs (get permission from the customer) or
    >>>"fabricate" some photo/video combinations to show off your editing
    >>>skills (don't forget the background music). The cost of regular CDs and
    >>>labels and plain paper sleeves should be reasonable (costs me about 25
    >>>to 30 cents each). 100 copies should then be about $30 and you can
    >>>leave a handful at the barber shop, local coffee shop, senior center,
    >>>etc. It's more likely someone would take one and play it than just
    >>>using a business card. Works for me (damn, I hope you're not in my
    >>>State!). Good luck!
    >>>
    >>>-Marty

Tuner Cards Desktops Video Graphics