Canopus ADVC 110 / ADS PYRO A/V Link - what to order

I am in two minds as to the viability of each of the above. The ADVC110 gets
rave reviews which is swaying me in this direction - am I falling in the
right direction?

Does any of these device require an external power supply. I want to order
from the US but am unsure of power supply probs. I live in South Africa and
we use 220v as opposed to 110v in the US.

ANy advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Jeremy

"JSE" wrote ...
>I am in two minds as to the viability of each of the above.
> The ADVC110 gets rave reviews which is swaying me in
> this direction - am I falling in the right direction?
>
> Does any of these device require an external power supply.
> I want to order from the US but am unsure of power supply
> probs. I live in South Africa and we use 220v as opposed
> to 110v in the US.

The ADVC-110, like the ADVC-100 (which I have) appears
to use an external 5V power supply. These are pretty generic
and it would be very surprising if you couldn't find one that is
appropriate for you power mains voltage and connector.

JSE wrote:

> I am in two minds as to the viability of each of the above. The ADVC110 gets
> rave reviews which is swaying me in this direction - am I falling in the
> right direction?
>
> Does any of these device require an external power supply. I want to order
> from the US but am unsure of power supply probs. I live in South Africa and
> we use 220v as opposed to 110v in the US.
>
> ANy advice would be appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeremy

The Canopus that I have (ADVC 100) uses a wall transformer and runs on 5
volts.

jt

The ADS Pyro uses a wall-wart that puts out 5 v. It's solid state, and
marked 100-120V but may well work at 240. ADS tech support is very
responsive, so you may ask them. If not, it's a "standard" interface
and you shouldn't have too much trouble rustling up a replacement. The
current rating is 1A.

I've used mine for 6 months or so for capturing a/v from hi8 and laser
disc and have no complaints.

"JSE" <zboy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am in two minds as to the viability of each of the above. The ADVC110 gets
>rave reviews which is swaying me in this direction - am I falling in the
>right direction?
>
>Does any of these device require an external power supply. I want to order
>from the US but am unsure of power supply probs. I live in South Africa and
>we use 220v as opposed to 110v in the US.
>
>ANy advice would be appreciated
>
>Thanks
>
>Jeremy

> The ADVC-110, like the ADVC-100 (which I have) appears
> to use an external 5V power supply. These are pretty generic and it would
> be very surprising if you couldn't find one that is appropriate for you
> power mains voltage and connector.

Actually the ADVC110 gets its power from the firewire connection (if you use
6pin connection! If you use 4pin then you will need to use an adaptor).

Susan

"JSE" <zboy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am in two minds as to the viability of each of the above. The ADVC110 gets
>rave reviews which is swaying me in this direction - am I falling in the
>right direction?
>
>Does any of these device require an external power supply. I want to order
>from the US but am unsure of power supply probs. I live in South Africa and
>we use 220v as opposed to 110v in the US.
>
>ANy advice would be appreciated
>
>Thanks
>
>Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

If you have a free slot, you might want to consider the Canopus
ACEDVio card. Since it fits inside your computer you don't have to
worry about power and you don't have another box on your desk.

I think the ACEDVio card does a better job of digitizing than the 100.
I have not tried the 110.

You can get just the ACEDVio card, or you can get it with the Premiere
or Vegas packages. You can also get it bundled with the Canopus Let's
Edit, but I would not do that since the card is "tied" to Let's Edit.
If you don't have Premiere or Vegas, then those packages are really
good deals with the ACEDVio card. The last time I looked the 100 does
not come bundled with any software.

Hope this helps.

Susan