linksys/XP. SSID off, can't see network

I''ve got a couple of XP machines, and linksys 802.11g router & adapters.
I set SSID on PCs & router, but when I turn off SSID broadcast, the PCs
no longer see the wireless network.

I did a web search, and this seems to be a common problem. What
I couldn't determine from the stuff I read is if this was the fault of XP
or of the Linksys adapters, or what. Would wireless adapters from
another vendor work better? I have a Cisco 802.11b adapter that
I will try to test later.

If it's a Linksys problem I *may* return the Linksys stuff and get
something that works better. I guess SSID broadcast isn't that
big a deal, but I'd like to be able to turn it off.
5 answers Last reply
More about linksys ssid network

    Your simply better off *NOT* cloaking the SSID. Tools like Kismet can easily discover a cloaked
    SSID. Turn it back on and use other measures like 128-bit WEP or better yet WPA with a very LONG
    RANDOM key...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message news:%23iBbQ3fvEHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Your simply better off *NOT* cloaking the SSID. Tools like Kismet can easily discover a cloaked
    > SSID. Turn it back on and use other measures like 128-bit WEP or better yet WPA with a very LONG
    > RANDOM key...

    I'm running WPA, and using MAC filtering. I don't like the idea of the SSID broadcast, but I
    guess I'll get over it.

    Thanks,
    David

    xp will not like it, as al says, it's no better to cloak it anyway.
    enable only listed macs + WEP or WPA should suffice

    mike

    > Your simply better off *NOT* cloaking the SSID. Tools like Kismet can
    easily discover a cloaked
    > SSID. Turn it back on and use other measures like 128-bit WEP or better
    yet WPA with a very LONG
    > RANDOM key...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "David" <my_usenet_acct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I''ve got a couple of XP machines, and linksys 802.11g router &
    adapters.
    > > I set SSID on PCs & router, but when I turn off SSID broadcast, the PCs
    > > no longer see the wireless network.
    > >
    > > I did a web search, and this seems to be a common problem. What
    > > I couldn't determine from the stuff I read is if this was the fault of
    XP
    > > or of the Linksys adapters, or what. Would wireless adapters from
    > > another vendor work better? I have a Cisco 802.11b adapter that
    > > I will try to test later.
    > >
    > > If it's a Linksys problem I *may* return the Linksys stuff and get
    > > something that works better. I guess SSID broadcast isn't that
    > > big a deal, but I'd like to be able to turn it off.

    ---

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427

    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Your simply better off *NOT* cloaking the SSID. Tools like Kismet can
    >> easily discover a cloaked
    >> SSID. Turn it back on and use other measures like 128-bit WEP or better
    >> yet WPA with a very LONG
    >> RANDOM key...
    >
    > I'm running WPA, and using MAC filtering. I don't like the idea of the
    > SSID broadcast, but I
    > guess I'll get over it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > David

    Try to update the driver. It can help.
    --PA

    "David" <my_usenet_acct@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2ufq3fF29vlrfU1@uni-berlin.de...
    > I''ve got a couple of XP machines, and linksys 802.11g router & adapters.
    > I set SSID on PCs & router, but when I turn off SSID broadcast, the PCs
    > no longer see the wireless network.
    >
    > I did a web search, and this seems to be a common problem. What
    > I couldn't determine from the stuff I read is if this was the fault of XP
    > or of the Linksys adapters, or what. Would wireless adapters from
    > another vendor work better? I have a Cisco 802.11b adapter that
    > I will try to test later.
    >
    > If it's a Linksys problem I *may* return the Linksys stuff and get
    > something that works better. I guess SSID broadcast isn't that
    > big a deal, but I'd like to be able to turn it off.

Linksys SSID Windows XP Wireless Networking