How to edit a home movie that I have in DVD-R?

Paul

Splendid

I have captured several 8 and HI-8 family movies to AVI
and I plan to burn them on to DVD-R.

Question:
What is the best procedure to later capture de video from
the DVR-Rs to perform some edition?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Paul wrote:
> I have captured several 8 and HI-8 family movies to AVI
> and I plan to burn them on to DVD-R.
>
> Question:
> What is the best procedure to later capture de video from
> the DVR-Rs to perform some edition?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Paul

Anything you have on dvd is going to be in .vob format. These are mp2
files. Most digital editors can handle them through the import
function. Just grab the files off the dvd and import them into your
favorite video editing system. If it doesn't recognize them, try
renaming the suffix .mp2. If it still doesn't work, you could try
re-encoding them to wmv or something like that, although quality will
suffer.

If you're pretty sure that you're going to want to edit them in the
future, then it would be prudent to save the AVI files directly to DVDs
as data files. If the AVI files are too large to fit on a single DVD
(very likely if they're DV files), then you'll need to split them.
There are a ton of tools that can accomplish this simple task.

Paul

Splendid

Many thanks to Stankley and Relaxification for your help.

I'm going to save the files to AVI, and keep the original
tapes just in case.

Regards,
Paul.