Laserdisc capture shows pulsing video brightness

jt

A background chore is to capture a handful of favorite laserdiscs to
DVD; I've tried a couple and note that on some scenes a periodic
"pulsing" of the video brightness can be seen, to an annoying degree.
The period is a couple of seconds, and the two discs have nothing in
common. Vidcap uses an ADS Pyro A/V Link, which performs flawlessly on
other analog input.

JT wrote:

> A background chore is to capture a handful of favorite laserdiscs to
> DVD; I've tried a couple and note that on some scenes a periodic
> "pulsing" of the video brightness can be seen, to an annoying degree.
> The period is a couple of seconds, and the two discs have nothing in
> common. Vidcap uses an ADS Pyro A/V Link, which performs flawlessly on
> other analog input.

I have transfered lots of LD's to DVD with no problems. What you are
describing sounds like macrovision copy protection, but LD's are not
copy protected. If you are using an s-video cable, I would try a plain
video (yellow) cable. On LD's regular video can have a better quality
than s-video as it is recorded in that format and must be converted to
s-video.