Remote Assistance won't connect

December 5, 2004 7:19:07 PM

I'm getting the "Remote Assistance connection could not be established
because the remote host name could not be resolved. Please try again." What
does that really mean to me and how do I correct it. I'm trying to help my
Dad out and suggested we try the remote assistance option.
--
TJ
Anonymous

TJ wrote:
> I'm getting the "Remote Assistance connection could not be established
> because the remote host name could not be resolved. Please try
> again." What does that really mean to me and how do I correct it.
> I'm trying to help my Dad out and suggested we try the remote
> assistance option.

How about you tell us how you and your dad are connected to the Internet at
the time you two are trying this experiment?

--
<- Shenan ->
December 6, 2004 10:19:04 AM

I'm going through a 3Com SuperStack 24 port hub (no router-yet), then cable
modem. Pop's on a dial up account through "poetworld.net" (don't ask-I tried
to steer him otherwise)

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> TJ wrote:
> > I'm getting the "Remote Assistance connection could not be established
> > because the remote host name could not be resolved. Please try
> > again." What does that really mean to me and how do I correct it.
> > I'm trying to help my Dad out and suggested we try the remote
> > assistance option.
>
> How about you tell us how you and your dad are connected to the Internet at
> the time you two are trying this experiment?
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

December 6, 2004 7:17:57 PM

Has he dropped the connection between sending the invitation and the time
you responded to it?

How did you choose to pass the invitation?

"TJ" <TJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm going through a 3Com SuperStack 24 port hub (no router-yet), then
> cable
> modem. Pop's on a dial up account through "poetworld.net" (don't ask-I
> tried
> to steer him otherwise)
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> TJ wrote:
>> > I'm getting the "Remote Assistance connection could not be established
>> > because the remote host name could not be resolved. Please try
>> > again." What does that really mean to me and how do I correct it.
>> > I'm trying to help my Dad out and suggested we try the remote
>> > assistance option.
>>
>> How about you tell us how you and your dad are connected to the Internet
>> at
>> the time you two are trying this experiment?
>>
>> --
>> <- Shenan ->
>> --
>> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
>> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
>> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
>> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

December 6, 2004 8:09:02 PM

Most definitely not. We sent/send email immediately before and after it
doesn't work.

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> Has he dropped the connection between sending the invitation and the time
> you responded to it?
>
> How did you choose to pass the invitation?
>
> "TJ" <TJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm going through a 3Com SuperStack 24 port hub (no router-yet), then
> > cable
> > modem. Pop's on a dial up account through "poetworld.net" (don't ask-I
> > tried
> > to steer him otherwise)

> >> How about you tell us how you and your dad are connected to the Internet
> >> at
> >> the time you two are trying this experiment?
> >>
> >> --
> >> <- Shenan ->
> >> --
> >> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> >> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
> >> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
> >> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 1:40:30 AM

You've got as simple a scenario as I can imagine--a direct dialup on one end
and no router on the other. The end that matters is your Dads.

If you open the invitation file in Notepad, there is an IP address in it.

Does this correspond to the IP address your Dad's machine gets on the dialup
connection?

One possibility is that his ISP is running a proxy of some sort--in this
case, if he goes to:

http://whatismyip.com/

the IP he sees there will be differnet from what he sees if he does ipconfig
/all |more at a command prompt while connected to the dialup.

The IP in the invitation will likely be the private IP behind the proxy
(i.e. what he sees on his machine), and the connection won't succeed, and
can't.

!