lsass.exe problem when logging into terminal server.

Hello All,

I'm having a fairly confusing issue with terminal services. I have a
win2k advanced server box that i'm trying to get to with remote
desktop. directly after reboot I can remote desktop into the server,
but after about 2-3 minutes i get the folloing message immediatly. I'm
not given a login prompt or allowed to enter any info.

"The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer

The most likely causes for this error
1)Remote connections migh not be enabled at the remote computer
2)The maximim number of remote connections was exceeded at the remote
computer
3)A network error occoured while establishing the connection"

I the odd thing is that I can connect immediatly after re-boot but not
after a few minutes.. this led me to believe there is a process that
has not started when i'm able to log in immediatly, and after a minute
or two it does start and gives me problems. So i put regmon on my
computer and caught the following log entries everytime i tried to log
into term services and got booted.., go here for a look at the logs,
(http://photos2.flickr.com/1975037_9bef4d9956_o.jpg). so you can see
it looks to be an issue with user authentication process...

I see there is a buffer overflow message, in line 7801 when it's
balking about an invalid user... If this is the issue.. can anyone help
me solve?

But this leads me to another question... why is it even checking for
user information when i'm just trying to hit the terminal service....

When I get booted i'm not given a login prompt or given the opprotunity
to do anything.. I just click the connect button in the remote desktop
client and immediatly get the above error.
Can anyone shed some light or help me out with the lsass.exe problem?

Possible Solution (from a web forum):
One of our customers had the same problem.
It seems that you have installed Terminal Services without licenses.

On windows 2000 you install Term. Services for remote administration.
On windows 2003 you have to enable Remote Desktop on the System
Properties. (Just like XP)

So if you un-instal terminal services en enable remote desktop it will
work.

Regards
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On 6 Dec 2004 12:10:07 -0800, "Mule169" <andrew.nelson@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I'm having a fairly confusing issue with terminal services. I have a
>win2k advanced server box that i'm trying to get to with remote
>desktop. directly after reboot I can remote desktop into the server,
>but after about 2-3 minutes i get the folloing message immediatly. I'm
>not given a login prompt or allowed to enter any info.
>
>"The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer
>
>The most likely causes for this error
>1)Remote connections migh not be enabled at the remote computer
>2)The maximim number of remote connections was exceeded at the remote
>computer
>3)A network error occoured while establishing the connection"
>
>I the odd thing is that I can connect immediatly after re-boot but not
>after a few minutes.. this led me to believe there is a process that
>has not started when i'm able to log in immediatly, and after a minute
>or two it does start and gives me problems. So i put regmon on my
>computer and caught the following log entries everytime i tried to log
>into term services and got booted.., go here for a look at the logs,
>(http://photos2.flickr.com/1975037_9bef4d9956_o.jpg). so you can see
>it looks to be an issue with user authentication process...
>
>I see there is a buffer overflow message, in line 7801 when it's
>balking about an invalid user... If this is the issue.. can anyone help
>me solve?
>
>But this leads me to another question... why is it even checking for
>user information when i'm just trying to hit the terminal service....
>
>When I get booted i'm not given a login prompt or given the opprotunity
>to do anything.. I just click the connect button in the remote desktop
>client and immediatly get the above error.
>Can anyone shed some light or help me out with the lsass.exe problem?

Hello Jeffrey,

I have indeed installed terminal services for remote administration, I
have come to the conclusion that the problems lies with the buffer
overflow problem, in that when winlogon is supposed to show a logon
screen it cannot because of the LSASS buffer overflow problem mentioned
in my original post. Since the Winlogon screen cannot be displayed the
system thinks it's a bogus user pass combo and instantly boots me from
the connection. Again... I am able to logon directly after re-boot to
the actualy permissions are not the problem here (I don't believe), it
has to do with the winlogon screen not being displayed as a result from
the buffer overflow

I have SP4 installed on this box, and have currently not found a
solution for the buffer overflow problem... If any one can shed some
light?...

Thanks,

Andy

Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote:
> [...]
> >(http://photos2.flickr.com/1975037_9bef4d9956_o.jpg). so you can
see
> >it looks to be an issue with user authentication process...
> >
> >I see there is a buffer overflow message, in line 7801 when it's
> >balking about an invalid user... If this is the issue.. can anyone
help
> >me solve?
> >
> >But this leads me to another question... why is it even checking for
> >user information when i'm just trying to hit the terminal
service....

> >When I get booted i'm not given a login prompt or given the
opprotunity
> >to do anything.. I just click the connect button in the remote
desktop
> >client and immediatly get the above error.
> >Can anyone shed some light or help me out with the lsass.exe

That was the only solution I could find online, unfortunately...

This might be a good time to call PSS to see if they have internal
solutions...
---