RDP now timing out 1 way, not the other. Debuggable?

I have a home machine (A) and a workstation (B). To go from A to B, I have
to open up a VPN connection and then connect via RDP. That works fine and
has always worked. However, last week (and I haven't installed anything on
either machine at that time + both machines are fully up-to-date), the
ability to go from B to A (which doesn't require VPN) went away, with me
getting connection timeout errors when trying to connect. I don't even know
where to begin with trying to solve this problem. Google Groups didn't
yield any good hits (although admittedly, this is a difficult set of search
terms to get a good hit with), so I'm a bit out of ideas. I'd like to just
write a program to establish a raw connection to RDP to see what any
low-level errors I may (or may not) be getting, but I'm not even sure if I
can talk to an RDP server with a quick client tester. Anyone have any
ideas?

BTW: My web server on machine A still works fine, indicating that the
connection *is* there; I'm just not sure what it's state is, as the 1-way
issue is complicating things.

"Keith Patrick" <richard_keith_patrick@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a home machine (A) and a workstation (B). To go from A to B, I have
>to open up a VPN connection and then connect via RDP. That works fine and
>has always worked. However, last week (and I haven't installed anything on
>either machine at that time + both machines are fully up-to-date), the
>ability to go from B to A (which doesn't require VPN) went away, with me
>getting connection timeout errors when trying to connect. I don't even
>know where to begin with trying to solve this problem. Google Groups
>didn't yield any good hits (although admittedly, this is a difficult set of
>search terms to get a good hit with), so I'm a bit out of ideas. I'd like
>to just write a program to establish a raw connection to RDP to see what
>any low-level errors I may (or may not) be getting, but I'm not even sure
>if I can talk to an RDP server with a quick client tester. Anyone have any
>ideas?

Are you still able to do a VPN? If not, depending on your
configuration, make sure that your router or firewall is still
forwarding ports to the appropriate machine (perhaps your IP address
changed...)

Just a thought.. :)
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 18:51:37 -0600, "Keith Patrick"
<richard_keith_patrick@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a home machine (A) and a workstation (B). To go from A to B, I have
>to open up a VPN connection and then connect via RDP. That works fine and
>has always worked. However, last week (and I haven't installed anything on
>either machine at that time + both machines are fully up-to-date), the
>ability to go from B to A (which doesn't require VPN) went away, with me
>getting connection timeout errors when trying to connect. I don't even know
>where to begin with trying to solve this problem. Google Groups didn't
>yield any good hits (although admittedly, this is a difficult set of search
>terms to get a good hit with), so I'm a bit out of ideas. I'd like to just
>write a program to establish a raw connection to RDP to see what any
>low-level errors I may (or may not) be getting, but I'm not even sure if I
>can talk to an RDP server with a quick client tester. Anyone have any
>ideas?

No, the VPN from home to work is fine, as is home to work RDP. It's only
going from work to home (no VPN) that the timeouts occur. I *did* notice
that a machine with my home machine's name is on our VPN network even with
my home machine not connected (I later connected it and checked the VPN
IP,and it was a different one than the other I had seen. I wouldn't think
that would cause a problem, though, as I am not trying to RDP to my home
machine by name but by IP, so I can envision how a naming collision would
occur. Also, there isn't any event log message stating any kind of
RDP-related problem.
Additionally, the ports are all being forwarded OK, as is the IP (I have a
private web site on a forwarded port; RDP is also on a forwarded port with
the router correctly routing all traffic

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:0q5ar0dada3slv9fih4079rqa74ikrij3v@4ax.com...