SP2 breaks RDP Access

December 7, 2004 1:05:03 PM

Hello All-

My question is. I have a Windows XP Pro machine sitting behind a Linksys
Fireall with Port Forwarding enabled so I can RDP into PC from anywhere via
port 3389. After applying SP2 I can no longer get to my computer remotely. I
have tried disabling the Firewall client in SP2 and other things but the only
way it works is if I uninstall SP2 and go back to SP1. Anyone have any ideas
on how to make this work using SP2.

My scenario is if I am anywhere on and XP computer I just open remote
desktop connection and connect to 216.171.XX.XX and it connects to my
computer. Once SP2 is installed this does not work.

Any ideas?!?!?!?!

Thanks,
Tom

More about : sp2 breaks rdp access

December 7, 2004 7:44:39 PM

Also turn off your XP firewall after SP2. This is often the cause of many a
problem. I installed SP2 and am using RDP through a linksys firewall
(wrt54g) as I write this. I also have an NVIDIA chipset- no trouble. I
strongly suspect the XP firewall is blocking.

Paul

"Tom Jones" <TomJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello All-
>
> My question is. I have a Windows XP Pro machine sitting behind a Linksys
> Fireall with Port Forwarding enabled so I can RDP into PC from anywhere
via
> port 3389. After applying SP2 I can no longer get to my computer remotely.
> have tried disabling the Firewall client in SP2 and other things but the
only
> way it works is if I uninstall SP2 and go back to SP1. Anyone have any
ideas
> on how to make this work using SP2.
>
> My scenario is if I am anywhere on and XP computer I just open remote
> desktop connection and connect to 216.171.XX.XX and it connects to my
> computer. Once SP2 is installed this does not work.
>
> Any ideas?!?!?!?!
>
> Thanks,
> Tom
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 9:22:35 PM

Tom Jones <TomJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> My question is. I have a Windows XP Pro machine sitting behind a
> Linksys Fireall with Port Forwarding enabled so I can RDP into PC
> from anywhere via port 3389. After applying SP2 I can no longer get
> to my computer remotely. I have tried disabling the Firewall client
> in SP2 and other things but the only way it works is if I uninstall
> SP2 and go back to SP1. Anyone have any ideas on how to make this
> work using SP2.
>
> My scenario is if I am anywhere on and XP computer I just open remote
> desktop connection and connect to 216.171.XX.XX and it connects to my
> computer. Once SP2 is installed this does not work.

What is the nature of the failure: exact error messages, etc.

If the RDP server has Nvidia graphics card, update the graphics drivers with
the latest version from the Nvidia web site. There are problems with the
version of graphics driver provided in SP2 which made RDP fail.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

I have NVIDIA graphics card, drivers updated, problem still exists.... I also
have Norton 2005 I forogt to mention that. I think I read where the Internet
Worm Blocking can cause you to not be able to access pc via RDP after SP2 is
installed. I cannot find anything about this on Symantecs Website. Anyone
here know anythign about this?

Thanks,
Tom

"Robin Walker" wrote:

> Tom Jones <TomJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > My question is. I have a Windows XP Pro machine sitting behind a
> > Linksys Fireall with Port Forwarding enabled so I can RDP into PC
> > from anywhere via port 3389. After applying SP2 I can no longer get
> > to my computer remotely. I have tried disabling the Firewall client
> > in SP2 and other things but the only way it works is if I uninstall
> > SP2 and go back to SP1. Anyone have any ideas on how to make this
> > work using SP2.
> >
> > My scenario is if I am anywhere on and XP computer I just open remote
> > desktop connection and connect to 216.171.XX.XX and it connects to my
> > computer. Once SP2 is installed this does not work.
>
> What is the nature of the failure: exact error messages, etc.
>
> If the RDP server has Nvidia graphics card, update the graphics drivers with
> the latest version from the Nvidia web site. There are problems with the
> version of graphics driver provided in SP2 which made RDP fail.
>
> --
> Robin Walker
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 9:22:37 PM

There are a number of posts concerning this issue with Norton 2005. One thread suggests disabling
worm protection in Norton. Try that...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...:*.network_web&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3Dremote+desktop+group:*.network_web%26start%3D0%26scoring%3Dd%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dimages%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#d85884aca6a33d69

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>I have NVIDIA graphics card, drivers updated, problem still exists.... I also
> have Norton 2005 I forogt to mention that. I think I read where the Internet
> Worm Blocking can cause you to not be able to access pc via RDP after SP2 is
> installed. I cannot find anything about this on Symantecs Website. Anyone
> here know anythign about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom
>
> "Robin Walker" wrote:
>
>> Tom Jones <TomJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > My question is. I have a Windows XP Pro machine sitting behind a
>> > Linksys Fireall with Port Forwarding enabled so I can RDP into PC
>> > from anywhere via port 3389. After applying SP2 I can no longer get
>> > to my computer remotely. I have tried disabling the Firewall client
>> > in SP2 and other things but the only way it works is if I uninstall
>> > SP2 and go back to SP1. Anyone have any ideas on how to make this
>> > work using SP2.
>> >
>> > My scenario is if I am anywhere on and XP computer I just open remote
>> > desktop connection and connect to 216.171.XX.XX and it connects to my
>> > computer. Once SP2 is installed this does not work.
>>
>> What is the nature of the failure: exact error messages, etc.
>>
>> If the RDP server has Nvidia graphics card, update the graphics drivers with
>> the latest version from the Nvidia web site. There are problems with the
>> version of graphics driver provided in SP2 which made RDP fail.
>>
>> --
>> Robin Walker
>> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 11:58:32 PM

Why is it every time some problem arises folks say "Turn off the firewall?"

Sure--do this as a test to see whether it fixes the problem.

If it appears to do so--learn a little bit. RDP can be run using only one
open port on a machine--default is 3389, TCP.

That, and nothing else, needs to be opened in the firewall.

Maybe you never plug in a strange machine behind your Linksys router, but I
do, and I also use an occasional dialup connection, etc. I NEED that
firewall.

"Pablo" <jnaut_nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Also turn off your XP firewall after SP2. This is often the cause of many
> problem. I installed SP2 and am using RDP through a linksys firewall
> (wrt54g) as I write this. I also have an NVIDIA chipset- no trouble. I
> strongly suspect the XP firewall is blocking.
>
> Paul
>
> "Tom Jones" <TomJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello All-
>>
>> My question is. I have a Windows XP Pro machine sitting behind a Linksys
>> Fireall with Port Forwarding enabled so I can RDP into PC from anywhere
> via
>> port 3389. After applying SP2 I can no longer get to my computer
>> remotely.
>> have tried disabling the Firewall client in SP2 and other things but the
> only
>> way it works is if I uninstall SP2 and go back to SP1. Anyone have any
> ideas
>> on how to make this work using SP2.
>>
>> My scenario is if I am anywhere on and XP computer I just open remote
>> desktop connection and connect to 216.171.XX.XX and it connects to my
>> computer. Once SP2 is installed this does not work.
>>
>> Any ideas?!?!?!?!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tom

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 5:33:14 AM

In article <#0AvslM3EHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org says...
> Maybe you never plug in a strange machine behind your Linksys router, but I
> do, and I also use an occasional dialup connection, etc. I NEED that
> firewall.

Maybe you need to rethink your security then. I have a real firewall
appliance and 6 routers, the routers isolate different areas of my
network so that we can fix machines that come to us in an unknown state
without corrupting the rest of the network.

Try this - Internet <> ROUTER1 <> ROUTER2
Unknowns Trusteds

With the two routers you can still do everything, unless you have
multiple public IP, then you could just assign one IP to each router
without doing them in series.

With the series method, the last router group is the secure one, the
first group can't backfeed into the second one, so you place your
sensitive machines in router2 group. The machines in router1 group are
also protected, but still get internet access - you could also do this
with a web/email server in router1 group if you wanted, and router2
group would not have to worry about back-tracking from router1 group.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
!