Novice seeks help with networking/telnet problem

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hi there - please forgive my novice'ness....

I have a computer at home running XP Pro connecting to the internet via a
Draytek Router and I want to be able to access this PC using a mobile
PDA/pocket pc running WM2003 (Has GPRS internet connection).

Can someone please help or direct me to a guide on everything I need to do
as I have been playing around for days without much luck. I have terminal
services on the PDA and the router gives my PC its IP address etc. What do
I need to do at the PC and/or router to allow me to connect remotely from my
pocket pc?

Help much appreciated....

Chris
8 answers Last reply
More about novice seeks networking telnet problem
  1. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    Look at this page for help with that. I use an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC to access/control an XP Pro box
    using TSC and Remote Desktop...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bridgman_02june10.mspx

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Chris-John Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi there - please forgive my novice'ness....
    >
    > I have a computer at home running XP Pro connecting to the internet via a
    > Draytek Router and I want to be able to access this PC using a mobile
    > PDA/pocket pc running WM2003 (Has GPRS internet connection).
    >
    > Can someone please help or direct me to a guide on everything I need to do
    > as I have been playing around for days without much luck. I have terminal
    > services on the PDA and the router gives my PC its IP address etc. What do
    > I need to do at the PC and/or router to allow me to connect remotely from my
    > pocket pc?
    >
    > Help much appreciated....
    >
    > Chris

  2. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    In <1102467337.60404.0@dyke.uk.clara.net>, "Chris-John Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> writes:
    >Hi there - please forgive my novice'ness....
    >
    >I have a computer at home running XP Pro connecting to the internet via a
    >Draytek Router and I want to be able to access this PC using a mobile
    >PDA/pocket pc running WM2003 (Has GPRS internet connection).
    >
    >Can someone please help or direct me to a guide on everything I need to do
    >as I have been playing around for days without much luck. I have terminal
    >services on the PDA and the router gives my PC its IP address etc. What do
    >I need to do at the PC and/or router to allow me to connect remotely from my
    >pocket pc?
    >
    >Help much appreciated....

    Would not you need a permanent IP address for your home router and PC?
    Without it how would your mobile know who to call?
  3. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    Hi there...have looked at this site but am having no joy.....

    I'm guessing in simple terms I must identify my public IP given by my ISP
    and port forward it to my home pc private IP (Static) and telnet using the
    public ISP - have have tried all this but telnet just times out!

    Do I need to do anything else with my router - it does have a link in for
    teleworkers....?

    I think I can't see the wood for the trees.

    > Look at this page for help with that. I use an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC to
    access/control an XP Pro box
    > using TSC and Remote Desktop...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bridgman_02june10.mspx

    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "Chris-John Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Hi there - please forgive my novice'ness....
    > >
    > > I have a computer at home running XP Pro connecting to the internet via
    > > Draytek Router and I want to be able to access this PC using a mobile
    > > PDA/pocket pc running WM2003 (Has GPRS internet connection).
    > >
    > > Can someone please help or direct me to a guide on everything I need to
    do
    > > as I have been playing around for days without much luck. I have
    terminal
    > > services on the PDA and the router gives my PC its IP address etc. What
    do
    > > I need to do at the PC and/or router to allow me to connect remotely
    from my
    > > pocket pc?
    > >
    > > Help much appreciated....
    > >
    > > Chris

  4. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    Yes, as noted on the page I pointed you to you need to forward TCP Port 3389 through the router to
    the private LAN IP of your desktop. What router?

    http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

    There is also a section on the page I pointed you to that talks about how to determine the public IP
    of your router and how to address the issue of a dynamically assigned IP address from your ISP.

    Have you tested Remote Desktop access from another PC on your home LAN first to make sure that its
    setup and working locally? If not, that really is the first step...

    --

    > Hi there...have looked at this site but am having no joy.....
    >
    > I'm guessing in simple terms I must identify my public IP given by my ISP
    > and port forward it to my home pc private IP (Static) and telnet using the
    > public ISP - have have tried all this but telnet just times out!
    >
    > Do I need to do anything else with my router - it does have a link in for
    > teleworkers....?
    >
    > I think I can't see the wood for the trees.
    >
    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Look at this page for help with that. I use an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC to
    > access/control an XP Pro box
    >> using TSC and Remote Desktop...
    >>

    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>

    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bridgman_02june10.mspx
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >>
    >> "Chris-John Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> > Hi there - please forgive my novice'ness....
    >> >
    >> > I have a computer at home running XP Pro connecting to the internet via
    >> > Draytek Router and I want to be able to access this PC using a mobile
    >> > PDA/pocket pc running WM2003 (Has GPRS internet connection).
    >> >
    >> > Can someone please help or direct me to a guide on everything I need to
    > do
    >> > as I have been playing around for days without much luck. I have
    > terminal
    >> > services on the PDA and the router gives my PC its IP address etc. What
    > do
    >> > I need to do at the PC and/or router to allow me to connect remotely
    > from my
    >> > pocket pc?
    >> >
    >> > Help much appreciated....
    >> >
    >> > Chris

  5. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    My router is a draytek vigour 2600....

    So from my pda:

    telnet to the ip linking router to internet provided by isp

    and router

    port forward from public ip to private ip

    do I need anything done at the xp pro end?

    thanks for help
    > Yes, as noted on the page I pointed you to you need to forward TCP Port
    3389 through the router to
    > the private LAN IP of your desktop. What router?
    >
    > http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
    >
    > There is also a section on the page I pointed you to that talks about how
    to determine the public IP
    > of your router and how to address the issue of a dynamically assigned IP
    address from your ISP.

    > Have you tested Remote Desktop access from another PC on your home LAN
    first to make sure that its
    > setup and working locally? If not, that really is the first step...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "Chris-John Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Hi there...have looked at this site but am having no joy.....
    > >
    > > I'm guessing in simple terms I must identify my public IP given by my
    ISP
    > > and port forward it to my home pc private IP (Static) and telnet using
    the
    > > public ISP - have have tried all this but telnet just times out!
    > >
    > > Do I need to do anything else with my router - it does have a link in
    for
    > > teleworkers....?
    > >
    > > I think I can't see the wood for the trees.
    > >
    > > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > >> Look at this page for help with that. I use an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC to
    > > access/control an XP Pro box
    > >> using TSC and Remote Desktop...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bridgman_02june10.mspx

    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    mutual
    > > benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > rights...
    > >>
    > >> "Chris-John Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > do
    > > terminal
    What
    > > do
    > > from my

  6. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    You need to enable Remote Desktop on the XP Pro box at home...

    --

    > My router is a draytek vigour 2600....
    >
    > So from my pda:
    >
    > telnet to the ip linking router to internet provided by isp
    >
    > and router
    >
    > port forward from public ip to private ip
    >
    > do I need anything done at the xp pro end?
    >
    > thanks for help
    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Yes, as noted on the page I pointed you to you need to forward TCP Port
    > 3389 through the router to
    >> the private LAN IP of your desktop. What router?
    >>
    >> http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
    >>
    >> There is also a section on the page I pointed you to that talks about how
    > to determine the public IP
    >> of your router and how to address the issue of a dynamically assigned IP
    > address from your ISP.
    >>
    >> Have you tested Remote Desktop access from another PC on your home LAN
    > first to make sure that its
    >> setup and working locally? If not, that really is the first step...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >>
    >> "Chris-John Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> > Hi there...have looked at this site but am having no joy.....
    >> >
    >> > I'm guessing in simple terms I must identify my public IP given by my
    > ISP
    >> > and port forward it to my home pc private IP (Static) and telnet using
    > the
    >> > public ISP - have have tried all this but telnet just times out!
    >> >
    >> > Do I need to do anything else with my router - it does have a link in
    > for
    >> > teleworkers....?
    >> >
    >> > I think I can't see the wood for the trees.
    >> >
    >> > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > access/control an XP Pro box
    >> >>

    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >> >>

    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bridgman_02june10.mspx

    > mutual
    >> > benefit of all of us...
    >> > rights...

    > via

    >> > do
    >> > terminal
    > What
    >> > do
    >> > from my

  7. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    Thanks for help - not sure what I've done but can now telnet onto my home pc
    remotely - is there settings in xp or on wm2003 where you can set the level
    of graphic etc?

    Cheers

    > You need to enable Remote Desktop on the XP Pro box at home...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "Chris-John Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > My router is a draytek vigour 2600....
    > >
    > > So from my pda:
    > >
    > > telnet to the ip linking router to internet provided by isp
    > >
    > > and router
    > >
    > > port forward from public ip to private ip
    > >
    > > do I need anything done at the xp pro end?
    > >
    > > thanks for help
    > > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > >> Yes, as noted on the page I pointed you to you need to forward TCP Port
    > > 3389 through the router to
    > >> the private LAN IP of your desktop. What router?
    > >>
    > >> http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
    > >>
    > >> There is also a section on the page I pointed you to that talks about
    how
    > > to determine the public IP
    > >> of your router and how to address the issue of a dynamically assigned
    IP
    > > address from your ISP.
    > >>
    > >> Have you tested Remote Desktop access from another PC on your home LAN
    > > first to make sure that its
    > >> setup and working locally? If not, that really is the first step...
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    mutual
    > > benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > rights...
    > >>
    > >> "Chris-John Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > ISP
    > > the

    > > for

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bridgman_02june10.mspx

    > > mutual

    > > via

    > > What

  8. Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    Blimey - it was working now all I get is server timed out -terminal service
    stopped.

    Is this normal?

    > Thanks for help - not sure what I've done but can now telnet onto my home
    pc
    > remotely - is there settings in xp or on wm2003 where you can set the
    level
    > of graphic etc?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > > You need to enable Remote Desktop on the XP Pro box at home...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >
    > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
    > benefit of all of us...
    > > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > rights...
    > >
    > > "Chris-John Turner" <sacrum@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > My router is a draytek vigour 2600....
    > > >
    > > > So from my pda:
    > > >
    > > > telnet to the ip linking router to internet provided by isp
    > > >
    > > > and router
    > > >
    > > > port forward from public ip to private ip
    > > >
    > > > do I need anything done at the xp pro end?
    > > >
    > > > thanks for help
    > > > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    Port
    > > > 3389 through the router to