Replacing UTP with wireless, what equipment?

We have a network running 2000 server and fixed IP adresses in the
192.168... range.

The router is a 24 port 3Com superstack.

One of the workstations is connected by a very circuitous UTP cable which
often gives us trouble. It is across a driveway in another building about 50
yards away. I would like to replace this single connection with wireless.
This remote PC is in a warehouse and its main function is the printing of
picking slips sent to it from one other PC on the network.

I dont know much about wirless networking but I envisage plugging an access
point into the above router in place of where the current UTP cable is
plugged and a wireless NIC in the remote PC. I would also use external
antennas both sides to improve throughput.

Is my thinking correct? Are there any possible problems that I could
experience setting this up?

Netgear WG602 access point and WAG311GE PCI adapter have been suggested as a
possible solution. Does this make sense?

What would you recommend?

Thanks

Joel

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
You are on the right track.

The deciding factor would be the envioroment.

If the two Antennae are facing one the other and there is No obstructions it
should work.

Take into consideration that an extension Antennae with long Coax is not a
good solution since 2.4 GHz rapidly lose gain with length.

If the remote place having more then one computer or and long Antenna Coax
is needed you should consider Bridging rather then simple AP to client
connection. Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Joel Dorfan" <bdorfan@MAPSicon.co.za> wrote in message
> We have a network running 2000 server and fixed IP adresses in the
> 192.168... range.
>
> The router is a 24 port 3Com superstack.
>
> One of the workstations is connected by a very circuitous UTP cable which
> often gives us trouble. It is across a driveway in another building about
50
> yards away. I would like to replace this single connection with wireless.
> This remote PC is in a warehouse and its main function is the printing of
> picking slips sent to it from one other PC on the network.
>
> I dont know much about wirless networking but I envisage plugging an
access
> point into the above router in place of where the current UTP cable is
> plugged and a wireless NIC in the remote PC. I would also use external
> antennas both sides to improve throughput.
>
> Is my thinking correct? Are there any possible problems that I could
> experience setting this up?
>
> Netgear WG602 access point and WAG311GE PCI adapter have been suggested as
> possible solution. Does this make sense?
>
> What would you recommend?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joel

Thanks Jack,
The environment should be fine. I will be able to minimise the coax runs to
a few yards at most.

I went to your link below. Seems that a bridge uses 2 access points as
opposed to a single access point and a wireless NIC, is that correct?

Joel