Logging on to remote desktop when not at home

Hi,

I have a desktop and laptop. They are both currently networked at home, and
I can access either one via remote desktop if I so choose.

However, when I am away from home (at school, for example), and on the WWW,
I can't seem to connect to my desktop thorugh Remote Desktop. Perhaps I am a
little confused on what I need to enter in the Connect area. What should I
put in the Domain box? I have been typing in my desktop's IP address, bu
this doesn't work. Could someone explain to me what I need to do? Thanks.

Russell Cook wrote:
> I have a desktop and laptop. They are both currently networked at
> home, and I can access either one via remote desktop if I so choose.
>
> However, when I am away from home (at school, for example), and on
> the WWW, I can't seem to connect to my desktop thorugh Remote
> Desktop. Perhaps I am a little confused on what I need to enter in
> the Connect area. What should I put in the Domain box? I have been
> typing in my desktop's IP address, bu this doesn't work. Could
> someone explain to me what I need to do? Thanks.

Are they behind a router and have 192.168.xxx.xxx IPs?

If so, you need to forward the 3389 port to the appropriate machine behind
the router and then remotely connect to the IP of the router.

If you are actually getting a connection - then you just need to enter the
username and password - these should be no "domain" box, and if there is, it
should be filled in with the name of the remote machine.

--
<- Shenan ->

You use the public IP, or fully qualified domain name, of the firewall/NAT/router that your LAN is
behind. You also need to forward TCP Port 3389 through the firewall/NAT/router to the private LAN IP
of the desktop. Leave the domain blank in your case...

Look at this page for help...

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Russell Cook" <Russell Cook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a desktop and laptop. They are both currently networked at home, and
> I can access either one via remote desktop if I so choose.
>
> However, when I am away from home (at school, for example), and on the WWW,
> I can't seem to connect to my desktop thorugh Remote Desktop. Perhaps I am a
> little confused on what I need to enter in the Connect area. What should I
> put in the Domain box? I have been typing in my desktop's IP address, bu
> this doesn't work. Could someone explain to me what I need to do? Thanks.

It may help to test from a location away from school.

A friends house, for example.

That cuts out issues preventing outbound communication, which may well be
present at school.

"Russell Cook" <Russell Cook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a desktop and laptop. They are both currently networked at home,
> and
> I can access either one via remote desktop if I so choose.
>
> However, when I am away from home (at school, for example), and on the
> WWW,
> I can't seem to connect to my desktop thorugh Remote Desktop. Perhaps I
> am a
> little confused on what I need to enter in the Connect area. What should
> put in the Domain box? I have been typing in my desktop's IP address, bu
> this doesn't work. Could someone explain to me what I need to do?
> Thanks.

Hi Shenan,

Yes, I am behind a router and have a 192/168.xxx.xxx IP address (the default
gateway).

Can you instruct me on how to forward the 3389 port to the appropriate
machine behind the router and then remotely connect to the IP of that router?

Step by step directions on how to go about this would be GREATLY
appreciated. I am going on a trip later this month, and would really like
access to my home computer on occasion.

When I right click on the network icon by my clock, and click status, I see
Address Type: Assigned by DHCP, IP Adress: 192.168.x.xxx; Subnet Mask:
255.255.xxx.x and Default Gateway: 192.168.x.x

I just need to know what address i use, how to forward the 3389 port, and
what to type in my laptop's Remote Desktop dialogue box when I want to sign
on remotely. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Russell G. Cook
"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Russell Cook wrote:
> > I have a desktop and laptop. They are both currently networked at
> > home, and I can access either one via remote desktop if I so choose.
> >
> > However, when I am away from home (at school, for example), and on
> > the WWW, I can't seem to connect to my desktop thorugh Remote
> > Desktop. Perhaps I am a little confused on what I need to enter in
> > the Connect area. What should I put in the Domain box? I have been
> > typing in my desktop's IP address, bu this doesn't work. Could
> > someone explain to me what I need to do? Thanks.
>
> Are they behind a router and have 192.168.xxx.xxx IPs?
>
> If so, you need to forward the 3389 port to the appropriate machine behind
> the router and then remotely connect to the IP of the router.
>
> If you are actually getting a connection - then you just need to enter the
> username and password - these should be no "domain" box, and if there is, it
> should be filled in with the name of the remote machine.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

This page may help...

> Hi Shenan,
>
> Yes, I am behind a router and have a 192/168.xxx.xxx IP address (the default
> gateway).
>
> Can you instruct me on how to forward the 3389 port to the appropriate
> machine behind the router and then remotely connect to the IP of that router?
>
> Step by step directions on how to go about this would be GREATLY
> appreciated. I am going on a trip later this month, and would really like
> access to my home computer on occasion.
>
> When I right click on the network icon by my clock, and click status, I see
> Address Type: Assigned by DHCP, IP Adress: 192.168.x.xxx; Subnet Mask:
> 255.255.xxx.x and Default Gateway: 192.168.x.x
>
> I just need to know what address i use, how to forward the 3389 port, and
> what to type in my laptop's Remote Desktop dialogue box when I want to sign
> on remotely. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
> Russell G. Cook
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> Russell Cook wrote:
>> > I have a desktop and laptop. They are both currently networked at
>> > home, and I can access either one via remote desktop if I so choose.
>> >
>> > However, when I am away from home (at school, for example), and on
>> > the WWW, I can't seem to connect to my desktop thorugh Remote
>> > Desktop. Perhaps I am a little confused on what I need to enter in
>> > the Connect area. What should I put in the Domain box? I have been
>> > typing in my desktop's IP address, bu this doesn't work. Could
>> > someone explain to me what I need to do? Thanks.
>>
>> Are they behind a router and have 192.168.xxx.xxx IPs?
>>
>> If so, you need to forward the 3389 port to the appropriate machine behind
>> the router and then remotely connect to the IP of the router.
>>
>> If you are actually getting a connection - then you just need to enter the
>> username and password - these should be no "domain" box, and if there is, it
>> should be filled in with the name of the remote machine.
>>
>> --
>> <- Shenan ->
>> --
>> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
>> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
>> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
>> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Russell Cook <RussellCook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Can you instruct me on how to forward the 3389 port to the appropriate
> machine behind the router and then remotely connect to the IP of that
> router?
>
> Step by step directions on how to go about this would be GREATLY
> appreciated.

See the user manual for whatever brand and model of router you have.

> When I right click on the network icon by my clock, and click status,
> I see Address Type: Assigned by DHCP, IP Adress: 192.168.x.xxx;
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.xxx.x and Default Gateway: 192.168.x.x

We can't advise properly if you blank out essential data with xxx. The
first thing you need to do is to assign your PC a static IP address within
the LAN sub-net of the router, but outside its DHCP allocation pool range.
You need to set the sub-net mask and default gateway to the correct values
required by your router, whatever they were before you blanked them out.

> I just need to know what address i use, how to forward the 3389 port,

Using the method described in the user manual for your router, you forward
TCP port 3389 to the LAN address that you statically assigned to your PC.

> and what to type in my laptop's Remote Desktop dialogue box when I
> want to sign on remotely.

You type in the WAN IP address of your router, as assigned by your ISP.

However, this WAN address is subject to change from time to time, so you
might lose contact with your home. You might need to subscribe to a dynamic
DNS service. Then you would type in the dynamic DNS name.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk