Huge AVI files when capturing analogue video...

I'm using Cyberlink's PowerDirector to capture analogue (SVideo) as high
quality PAL, AVI files in 720X576. I am ending up with huge 69GB files for 1
hour of captured video.

I read everywhere that avi should be about 300MB per minute. I'm capturing
at 1.2GB a minute!!

Is this normal?

Mike
12 answers Last reply
More about huge files capturing analogue video

    Mike Alpha wrote:
    > I read everywhere that avi should be about 300MB per minute. I'm capturing
    > at 1.2GB a minute!!

    How long is string?

    "AVI" has no fixed bitrate. The bitrate is a setting of the codec you
    choose to use. In your case, you're probably capturing uncompressed.
    Consider using a more reasonable codec.

    --
    -WD

    On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:40:34 +1100) it happened "Mike Alpha"
    <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in
    <41f78151$0$2674$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>:

    >I'm using Cyberlink's PowerDirector to capture analogue (SVideo) as high
    >quality PAL, AVI files in 720X576. I am ending up with huge 69GB files for 1
    >hour of captured video.
    >
    >I read everywhere that avi should be about 300MB per minute. I'm capturing
    >at 1.2GB a minute!!
    >
    >Is this normal?
    >
    >Mike
    AVI is a sort of 'container' format.
    It can contain many different things.
    You are recording uncompressed yuv or something.
    Try selecting a DivX codec..... (if possible), 700 MB / hour is possible,
    I have it here at 1500 kbps in 720x576 25Hz PAL.
    (1500kbps = 1500 / 8 = 187.5 kilo bytes / sec, x 3600 seconds = 675 MB, add
    some sound in mp3 and you have one hour on a CDR.

    Setting the bitrate higher takes more space, but improves quality.
    Free codecs are at www.divx.com.

    Yikes!

    Well, what you going to do with the end product? Put it on DVD? Then if you
    can capture direct to a high quality MPG2, do so. Or if you want to do
    editing on it, capture to a DV codec (which will probably give you an Avi
    file, but with some compression, making it about 13 gig for an hour of vid.)
    If for viewing on a PC or streaming on the web, or even compressed to put on
    CD's to give to family. Then perhaps a Quicktime, or Divx or MPG1 or
    compressed AVI format is what you want.

    Then you say. "Whats with all the choices??" It comes down to preference,
    quality and portability issues. If you use the Divx codecs and give it to
    aunt Martha, she will probably tell you it would not play on her computer.
    You will want something generic for her like an MPG1 or AVI format. Maybe
    uncle Carl is a Mac fan. You know for sure he has Quicktime. QT pro will
    give you the Sorenson codec.

    RS wrote:
    > Yikes!
    >
    > Then you say. "Whats with all the choices??" It comes down to
    preference,
    > quality and portability issues. If you use the Divx codecs and give
    it to
    > aunt Martha, she will probably tell you it would not play on her
    computer.
    I dunno, if it is a Linux computer it will play DivX (mplayer xine).
    Of cause Micrsof(t) wants their own system....
    It is interesting, today I received a folder from the local hobby
    (building
    materials and stuff, you know the sort of place) market, they sell a 55
    Euro (65 $?) DVD player, DivX capable.
    It was the flattest thing I have ever seen. (like thin, makes you
    wonder why
    those DVD drawers are so thick, in existing players).
    It did NOT say wmv capable ...
    Ad an other 55 Euro and you got 5 speakers too.
    So what I am saying for 'aunt Martha' DivX is already a standard.
    If it plays on the most cheapo house hold appliances.
    An 'Aunt Martha' may or may not have a PC, but she will have one of
    those players her son bought in that market....
    MS will DELIBERATELY not be compatible (with anything).
    No problem even in Europe, in Europe from now on MS will not even be
    allowed to provide a player, so the shops will install one that WILL do
    DivX.
    As simple as that.
    Monopoly broken.

    Nobody who understands economics is a 'Mac fan'.
    Why pay more for less?
    For a sticker with an apple on it?
    get a real apple! You can eat it too.
    <space for flames>
    <end of space for flames>

    "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > Mike Alpha wrote:
    > > I read everywhere that avi should be about 300MB per minute. I'm
    capturing
    > > at 1.2GB a minute!!
    >
    > How long is string?
    >
    > "AVI" has no fixed bitrate. The bitrate is a setting of the codec you
    > choose to use. In your case, you're probably capturing uncompressed.
    > Consider using a more reasonable codec.

    Thanks. I best read up some more on the subject..

    Mike

    That's normal for uncompressed video. If you capture as DV you will only
    need about 13GB per hour because DV is compressed (quality is lost).

    The consensus is that uncompressed video will result in a higher quality
    DVD (than DV), but because of the high bit rate there are potential issues
    with dropped frames during capture, and also potential sound syncronization
    problems unless you have a capture card that deals with both video and sound
    on the same card.

    "Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using Cyberlink's PowerDirector to capture analogue (SVideo) as high
    > quality PAL, AVI files in 720X576. I am ending up with huge 69GB files for
    1
    > hour of captured video.
    >
    > I read everywhere that avi should be about 300MB per minute. I'm capturing
    > at 1.2GB a minute!!
    >
    > Is this normal?
    >
    > Mike

    Thanks all for the replies. It seems that I've been mistaken in thinking
    that DV is AVI.

    Mike

    "John" <knight_js.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > That's normal for uncompressed video. If you capture as DV you will only
    > need about 13GB per hour because DV is compressed (quality is lost).
    >
    > The consensus is that uncompressed video will result in a higher quality
    > DVD (than DV), but because of the high bit rate there are potential issues
    > with dropped frames during capture, and also potential sound
    syncronization
    > problems unless you have a capture card that deals with both video and
    sound
    > on the same card.
    >

    > "Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm using Cyberlink's PowerDirector to capture analogue (SVideo) as high
    > > quality PAL, AVI files in 720X576. I am ending up with huge 69GB files
    for
    > 1
    > > hour of captured video.
    > >
    > > I read everywhere that avi should be about 300MB per minute. I'm
    capturing
    > > at 1.2GB a minute!!
    > >
    > > Is this normal?
    > >
    > > Mike

    "Mike Alpha" wrote...
    > Thanks all for the replies. It seems that I've been mistaken in
    > thinking that DV is AVI.

    AVI is a generic "container" file. It can store video (with audio)
    in any of hundreds of different formats (or "codecs" as we call
    them). DV is just one possible codec that can be used with AVI
    files.

    In the same manner there are other container file schemes such
    as "MOV" (and others). DV video/audio can be store in MOV
    files in a similar manner to the AVI method.

    "RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message
    > Yikes!
    >
    > Well, what you going to do with the end product? Put it on DVD? Then if
    you
    > can capture direct to a high quality MPG2, do so. Or if you want to do
    > editing on it, capture to a DV codec (which will probably give you an Avi
    > file, but with some compression, making it about 13 gig for an hour of
    vid.)

    I'm basically moving a whole lot of VHS compiled video to DVD, but I am
    editing it all first. I thought by capturing to high quality AVI I would
    maintain the best possible quality before mpeg compression.

    I can capture in MPEG2 at 9000KB/s - is this a better option??

    Mike

> [...]

    > compressed AVI format is what you want.
    >
    > Then you say. "Whats with all the choices??" It comes down to preference,
    > quality and portability issues. If you use the Divx codecs and give it to
    > aunt Martha, she will probably tell you it would not play on her computer.
    > You will want something generic for her like an MPG1 or AVI format. Maybe
    > uncle Carl is a Mac fan. You know for sure he has Quicktime. QT pro will
    > give you the Sorenson codec.
    >

    > "Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm using Cyberlink's PowerDirector to capture analogue (SVideo) as high
    > > quality PAL, AVI files in 720X576. I am ending up with huge 69GB files
    for
    > 1
    > > hour of captured video.
    > >
    > > I read everywhere that avi should be about 300MB per minute. I'm

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:39:22 +1100, "Mike Alpha"
    <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

    >I'm basically moving a whole lot of VHS compiled video to DVD, but I am
    >editing it all first. I thought by capturing to high quality AVI I would
    >maintain the best possible quality before mpeg compression.
    >
    >I can capture in MPEG2 at 9000KB/s - is this a better option??

    The best procedure, quality wise, is to capture as Huffyuv Avi,
    editing it with the same codec (which is lossless), and only
    converting to mpeg as the last step.

    "Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:39:22 +1100, "Mike Alpha"
    > <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm basically moving a whole lot of VHS compiled video to DVD, but I am
    > >editing it all first. I thought by capturing to high quality AVI I would
    > >maintain the best possible quality before mpeg compression.
    > >
    > >I can capture in MPEG2 at 9000KB/s - is this a better option??
    >
    > The best procedure, quality wise, is to capture as Huffyuv Avi,
    > editing it with the same codec (which is lossless), and only
    > converting to mpeg as the last step.

    Downloading Huffyuv now.

    Thank you.
    Mike