Huge AVI files when capturing analogue video...

I'm using Cyberlink's PowerDirector to capture analogue (SVideo) as high
quality PAL, AVI files in 720X576. I am ending up with huge 69GB files for 1
hour of captured video.

I read everywhere that avi should be about 300MB per minute. I'm capturing
at 1.2GB a minute!!

Is this normal?

Mike

Mike Alpha wrote:
> I read everywhere that avi should be about 300MB per minute. I'm capturing
> at 1.2GB a minute!!

How long is string?

"AVI" has no fixed bitrate. The bitrate is a setting of the codec you
choose to use. In your case, you're probably capturing uncompressed.
Consider using a more reasonable codec.

--
-WD

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:40:34 +1100) it happened "Mike Alpha"
<mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in
<41f78151$0$2674$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>:

>I'm using Cyberlink's PowerDirector to capture analogue (SVideo) as high
>quality PAL, AVI files in 720X576. I am ending up with huge 69GB files for 1
>hour of captured video.
>
>I read everywhere that avi should be about 300MB per minute. I'm capturing
>at 1.2GB a minute!!
>
>Is this normal?
>
>Mike
AVI is a sort of 'container' format.
It can contain many different things.
You are recording uncompressed yuv or something.
Try selecting a DivX codec..... (if possible), 700 MB / hour is possible,
I have it here at 1500 kbps in 720x576 25Hz PAL.
(1500kbps = 1500 / 8 = 187.5 kilo bytes / sec, x 3600 seconds = 675 MB, add
some sound in mp3 and you have one hour on a CDR.

Setting the bitrate higher takes more space, but improves quality.
Free codecs are at www.divx.com.

rs

Yikes!

Well, what you going to do with the end product? Put it on DVD? Then if you
can capture direct to a high quality MPG2, do so. Or if you want to do
editing on it, capture to a DV codec (which will probably give you an Avi
file, but with some compression, making it about 13 gig for an hour of vid.)
If for viewing on a PC or streaming on the web, or even compressed to put on
CD's to give to family. Then perhaps a Quicktime, or Divx or MPG1 or
compressed AVI format is what you want.

Then you say. "Whats with all the choices??" It comes down to preference,
quality and portability issues. If you use the Divx codecs and give it to
aunt Martha, she will probably tell you it would not play on her computer.
You will want something generic for her like an MPG1 or AVI format. Maybe
uncle Carl is a Mac fan. You know for sure he has Quicktime. QT pro will
give you the Sorenson codec.

RS wrote:
> Yikes!
>
> Then you say. "Whats with all the choices??" It comes down to
preference,
> quality and portability issues. If you use the Divx codecs and give
it to
> aunt Martha, she will probably tell you it would not play on her
computer.
I dunno, if it is a Linux computer it will play DivX (mplayer xine).
Of cause Micrsof(t) wants their own system....
It is interesting, today I received a folder from the local hobby
(building
materials and stuff, you know the sort of place) market, they sell a 55
Euro (65 $?) DVD player, DivX capable.
It was the flattest thing I have ever seen. (like thin, makes you
wonder why
those DVD drawers are so thick, in existing players).
It did NOT say wmv capable ...
Ad an other 55 Euro and you got 5 speakers too.
So what I am saying for 'aunt Martha' DivX is already a standard.
If it plays on the most cheapo house hold appliances.
An 'Aunt Martha' may or may not have a PC, but she will have one of
those players her son bought in that market....
MS will DELIBERATELY not be compatible (with anything).
No problem even in Europe, in Europe from now on MS will not even be
allowed to provide a player, so the shops will install one that WILL do
DivX.
As simple as that.
Monopoly broken.

Nobody who understands economics is a 'Mac fan'.
Why pay more for less?
For a sticker with an apple on it?
get a real apple! You can eat it too.
<space for flames>
<end of space for flames>

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Mike Alpha wrote:
> > I read everywhere that avi should be about 300MB per minute. I'm
capturing
> > at 1.2GB a minute!!
>
> How long is string?
>
> "AVI" has no fixed bitrate. The bitrate is a setting of the codec you
> choose to use. In your case, you're probably capturing uncompressed.
> Consider using a more reasonable codec.

Thanks. I best read up some more on the subject..

Mike

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

That's normal for uncompressed video. If you capture as DV you will only
need about 13GB per hour because DV is compressed (quality is lost).

The consensus is that uncompressed video will result in a higher quality
DVD (than DV), but because of the high bit rate there are potential issues
with dropped frames during capture, and also potential sound syncronization
problems unless you have a capture card that deals with both video and sound
on the same card.

"Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Cyberlink's PowerDirector to capture analogue (SVideo) as high
> quality PAL, AVI files in 720X576. I am ending up with huge 69GB files for
1
> hour of captured video.
>
> I read everywhere that avi should be about 300MB per minute. I'm capturing
> at 1.2GB a minute!!
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Mike

Thanks all for the replies. It seems that I've been mistaken in thinking
that DV is AVI.

Mike

"John" <knight_js.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> That's normal for uncompressed video. If you capture as DV you will only
> need about 13GB per hour because DV is compressed (quality is lost).
>
> The consensus is that uncompressed video will result in a higher quality
> DVD (than DV), but because of the high bit rate there are potential issues
> with dropped frames during capture, and also potential sound
syncronization
> problems unless you have a capture card that deals with both video and
sound
> on the same card.
>

> "Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using Cyberlink's PowerDirector to capture analogue (SVideo) as high
> > quality PAL, AVI files in 720X576. I am ending up with huge 69GB files
for
> 1
> > hour of captured video.
> >
> > I read everywhere that avi should be about 300MB per minute. I'm
capturing
> > at 1.2GB a minute!!
> >
> > Is this normal?
> >
> > Mike

"Mike Alpha" wrote...
> Thanks all for the replies. It seems that I've been mistaken in
> thinking that DV is AVI.

AVI is a generic "container" file. It can store video (with audio)
in any of hundreds of different formats (or "codecs" as we call
them). DV is just one possible codec that can be used with AVI
files.

In the same manner there are other container file schemes such
as "MOV" (and others). DV video/audio can be store in MOV
files in a similar manner to the AVI method.

"RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message
> Yikes!
>
> Well, what you going to do with the end product? Put it on DVD? Then if
you
> can capture direct to a high quality MPG2, do so. Or if you want to do
> editing on it, capture to a DV codec (which will probably give you an Avi
> file, but with some compression, making it about 13 gig for an hour of
vid.)

I'm basically moving a whole lot of VHS compiled video to DVD, but I am
editing it all first. I thought by capturing to high quality AVI I would
maintain the best possible quality before mpeg compression.

I can capture in MPEG2 at 9000KB/s - is this a better option??

Mike

> [...]

> compressed AVI format is what you want.
>
> Then you say. "Whats with all the choices??" It comes down to preference,
> quality and portability issues. If you use the Divx codecs and give it to
> aunt Martha, she will probably tell you it would not play on her computer.
> You will want something generic for her like an MPG1 or AVI format. Maybe
> uncle Carl is a Mac fan. You know for sure he has Quicktime. QT pro will
> give you the Sorenson codec.
>

> "Mike Alpha" <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using Cyberlink's PowerDirector to capture analogue (SVideo) as high
> > quality PAL, AVI files in 720X576. I am ending up with huge 69GB files
for
> 1
> > hour of captured video.
> >
> > I read everywhere that avi should be about 300MB per minute. I'm

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:39:22 +1100, "Mike Alpha"
<mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>I'm basically moving a whole lot of VHS compiled video to DVD, but I am
>editing it all first. I thought by capturing to high quality AVI I would
>maintain the best possible quality before mpeg compression.
>
>I can capture in MPEG2 at 9000KB/s - is this a better option??

The best procedure, quality wise, is to capture as Huffyuv Avi,
editing it with the same codec (which is lossless), and only
converting to mpeg as the last step.

"Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:39:22 +1100, "Mike Alpha"
> <mike_aplha61@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm basically moving a whole lot of VHS compiled video to DVD, but I am
> >editing it all first. I thought by capturing to high quality AVI I would
> >maintain the best possible quality before mpeg compression.
> >
> >I can capture in MPEG2 at 9000KB/s - is this a better option??
>
> The best procedure, quality wise, is to capture as Huffyuv Avi,
> editing it with the same codec (which is lossless), and only
> converting to mpeg as the last step.

Downloading Huffyuv now.

Thank you.
Mike