Audio Visual test DVD?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.video.dvd.players,rec.video.desktop,rec.dvd.tech (More info?)

Does anyone know of a audio visual test DVD disc that can be used to
test different DVD players for sound and video quality?

If this type of DVD is not available then can someone suggest a good
way for testing the sound and audio of a DVD player?

Regards Brian

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:38:25 +1300, Brian wrote:

> Does anyone know of a audio visual test DVD disc that can be used to
> test different DVD players for sound and video quality?
>
> If this type of DVD is not available then can someone suggest a good
> way for testing the sound and audio of a DVD player?
>
> Regards Brian

Brian,

I've not seen any commercial software to check the calibration of a DVD
player and you didn't mention what video format your part of the world
uses or if you are using HDTV or SDTV. However, you can buy DVD's for
setting up SDTV and HDTV audio and video systems.

I suggest using the "Digital Video Essentials" DVD by Joe Kane
Productions. I've used this DVD to tune my HDTV and SDTV's and it did make
a noticeable difference in picture quality. The cost is ~$19.00 on Amazon
and contains test patterns for NTSC, PAL and HDTV as well as audio tests
for correctly setting up a surround sound system. Check out
www.digitalvideoessentials.com for more info.

The second one is called "Avia Guide to Home Theater" but I did not like
this one as much as the DVE disk. I thought the DVE test patterns were
better for setting brightness, black level, color and tint. You can find
more info on Avia at www.ovationsoftware.com. This one costs ~$35.00 on
Amazon.

I have no vested interest in DVE or Avia other than I used both to set up
my home theater.

Cheers,

John

john d smith <john@somewhere.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:38:25 +1300, Brian wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a audio visual test DVD disc that can be used to
>> test different DVD players for sound and video quality?
>>
>> If this type of DVD is not available then can someone suggest a good
>> way for testing the sound and audio of a DVD player?
>>
>> Regards Brian
>
>Brian,
>
>I've not seen any commercial software to check the calibration of a DVD
>player and you didn't mention what video format your part of the world
>uses or if you are using HDTV or SDTV. However, you can buy DVD's for
>setting up SDTV and HDTV audio and video systems.
>
>I suggest using the "Digital Video Essentials" DVD by Joe Kane
>Productions. I've used this DVD to tune my HDTV and SDTV's and it did make
>a noticeable difference in picture quality. The cost is ~$19.00 on Amazon
>and contains test patterns for NTSC, PAL and HDTV as well as audio tests
>for correctly setting up a surround sound system. Check out
>www.digitalvideoessentials.com for more info.
>
>The second one is called "Avia Guide to Home Theater" but I did not like
>this one as much as the DVE disk. I thought the DVE test patterns were
>better for setting brightness, black level, color and tint. You can find
>more info on Avia at www.ovationsoftware.com. This one costs ~$35.00 on
>Amazon.
>
>I have no vested interest in DVE or Avia other than I used both to set up
>my home theater.
>
>Cheers,
>
>John

Thanks John for your help.
My TV is CRT Pal 34 inch so I don't need a setup for HDTV.
The region is 4.

I'm hoping to replace my old 5 year dvd player so I need some test DVD
or audio CD to try on other DVD players.

Regards Brian