Sign in with
Your question

Load OS without keyboard

Last response: in Mac Os X
April 10, 2012 4:33:17 PM

I have an old G5 that I am rebuilding. I am using the Mac OS x v10.2. I bought a brand new apple keyboard but unfortunately the keyboard is not working when I plug it in so I can press and hold "c". I am guessing it isn't working because the keyboard is not loaded onto the computer. The computer comes on to the grey screen with the folder icon with a smiley face and flashes to a "?". Is there ANY WAY I can load the OS to the computer without the keyboard working?

More about : load keyboard

April 10, 2012 4:43:42 PM

I know it's possible on Windows, but I'm not sure about OS X. With Windows you can totally automate the setup process, so all you need to do is boot into the disc and the installation starts.
m
l
April 10, 2012 4:43:43 PM

I know it's possible on Windows, but I'm not sure about OS X. With Windows you can totally automate the setup process, so all you need to do is boot into the disc and the installation starts.
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2012 4:49:52 PM

The keyboard should work just fine without any additional software. It's a standard USB HID device just like all the other USB keyboards.
m
l
April 10, 2012 5:35:10 PM

I agree.
It seems unlikely that your issue is the keyboard. If in doubt, try it in a different computer if possible.
m
l
April 10, 2012 6:09:08 PM

Remove the power connector from the hard drive. The computer will boot from the CD (eventually - it may take a minute or two). Then, if you feel brave, you can hotplug the hard drive and continue.

But I agree that you have other problems. The keyboard should work at boot (else there would be no point in the "hold down C bit"). Have you tried it in more than one USB port? Have you tried a PC keyboard?
m
l
April 10, 2012 6:17:25 PM

If you want to check the keyboard, just hold T during powerup/startup and it should go into firewire target mode, I have found that sometimes the optical drive fail but you maybe able to use a standard pc optical drive to install your os.
m
l
!