Running XP Pro apps on older system disk with Windows 8 on new system

jss2020

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012
On my previous desktop computer, one of my IDE hard disks was partitoned into Drive C and Drive D. Each of the partitions had an installation of XP Pro so it was a dual-boot system.

My desktop system no longer works so now I have a laptop system with Windows 8. However, I have some important applications installed on C and D partitons of my hard disk drive which I need to run. I am assuming they wouldn't work directly in Windows 8.

If I connect that hard disk to my laptop with an IDE to USB adapter would I be able to boot from the external drive or do I need to do something else to run my XP applications of my older hard disk?

Or if I installl VMWare or another such program would I thne be boot with the XP Pro installed on my (now) external USB drive?

I'd appreciate any help.

JS

Truckerglenn

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Widonws 8 has an XP compatibility mode by right clicking on the program. Also, Windows 8 Pro has a Hyper-V mode that would allow you to install and run Windows XP from within Windows 8.

jss2020

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012

Thanks! Does the Hyper-V mode require Windows 8 Pro? I just have regular Windows 8, not the Pro version.
Edit: And by XP compatibility mode do you mean Troubleshoot Compatibility option?

jss2020

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2012

Another thing. When I use Troubleshoot Compatibility then many of the XP apps ask me for the serial numbers again. After more than 10 years, I don't remember where I wrote them down. So I need to be able to boot up in XP from an external device or from another partition to run those applications.

stereoeggs

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Will 32-bit Win XP games and apps run equally well by either method -- whether in XP compatibility mode in Win 8.0 or by installing a 32-bit copy of XP using Win 8 Pro's Hyper-V mode?

Are there any noticeable performance hits running 32-bit XP games and apps within Win 8 rather than simply running them on a Win XP system?

In practice, will All XP games and apps run properly using both...or either...of these two methods (using Win 8)?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

stereoeggs

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Will 32-bit Win XP games and apps run equally well by either method -- whether in XP compatibility mode in Win 8.0 or by installing a 32-bit copy of XP using Win 8 Pro's Hyper-V mode?

Are there any noticeable performance hits running 32-bit XP games and apps within Win 8 rather than simply running them on a Win XP system?

In practice, will All XP games and apps run properly using both...or either...of these two methods (using Win 8)?

stereoeggs

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

TRENDING THREADS